Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just finished this story, and I just have to get some of my emotions about it out. Unpopular opinions coming.

It just made me feel bad. Not sad, but almost rotten, especially regarding the way that Smith and all of the others treated Martha. I know that Smith wasn't technically The Doctor, but to see Martha belittled, patronized, and treated like complete garbage by a man she loves and trusts was almost nauseating to me. Of course, that's got a lot to do with David Tennant's amazing acting skills, but for that reason, among a few others, I just really hated this storyline.

I really had little to no sympathy for Smith, actually, since he was a HUGE a*****e, and not just to Martha. Seeing Ten transformed into such an unfamiliar, mean person almost felt like a betrayal, which I'm sure it must have on Martha's part. Props to her for not leaving him.

I did feel bad for Joan at the end, but time period aside, it didn't help her case in my book that she treated Martha like s**t, as well.

Also, weren't there black people in "The Vampires of Venice?" How come they were treated like ordinary citizens in 1580, but Martha gets pissed on in 1913? Don't get me wrong, racism is terrible anywhere, anytime. But the idea of the show trying to be "historically accurate" regarding Martha becomes a load of bullshit when the show makes exceptions for other characters. Am I missing something about this?

Interesting Friend

4,650 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
I just finished this story, and I just have to get some of my emotions about it out. Unpopular opinions coming.

It just made me feel bad. Not sad, but almost rotten, especially regarding the way that Smith and all of the others treated Martha. I know that Smith wasn't technically The Doctor, but to see Martha belittled, patronized, and treated like complete garbage by a man she loves and trusts was almost nauseating to me. Of course, that's got a lot to do with David Tennant's amazing acting skills, but for that reason, among a few others, I just really hated this storyline.

I really had little to no sympathy for Smith, actually, since he was a HUGE a*****e, and not just to Martha. Seeing Ten transformed into such an unfamiliar, mean person almost felt like a betrayal, which I'm sure it must have on Martha's part. Props to her for not leaving him.

I did feel bad for Joan at the end, but time period aside, it didn't help her case in my book that she treated Martha like s**t, as well.

Also, weren't there black people in "The Vampires of Venice?" How come they were treated like ordinary citizens in 1580, but Martha gets pissed on in 1913? Don't get me wrong, racism is terrible anywhere, anytime. But the idea of the show trying to be "historically accurate" regarding Martha becomes a load of bullshit when the show makes exceptions for other characters. Am I missing something about this?

I am with you on this it makes us British people look really bad, I would have felt for Joan but the way she was on her high horse with Martha most of the time. I think they didn't notice this small fact of racism a lot happens between these episodes and the vampires of Venice

8,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
The reasons that you described are the reasons why I loved those episodes. The fact that almost every one brought Martha down but she kept on ahead with what her, I guess you could say "mission", was amazing. She knew she'd be in a rough situation but she kept up at it, just because the Doctor asked her to. On other note, although it was a deleted scene, the video instructions that the Doctor left behind for Martha stated that John Smith was a character he would have to make up to blend in with his surroundings, and it's sad, but it seems like that's they way people acted back in 1913. Racist to blacks.

As for Vampires in Venice, the man was a boat maker and it was implied that he was rich, though I can't be certain of it. Also you'd have to check how blacks were treated in other parts of the world, it may be that in Italy the were more tolerable. Also money can make many people turn a blind eye.

Adorable Lunatic

I loathed Human Nature/Family of Blood.
Martha's treatment was horrible, and I absolutely despised Joan.
I swear, don't even get me started on those episodes!
But to summarize - I agree with you.
I hated John, I hate Joan, and I hated the plot.

10,500 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Try reading the book, there's no racism there since it's Benny rather than Martha who is the companion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff