Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey guys.

I tried to install Windows Service Pack 2 today, and now I have some problems. When I tried to install it, it first extracted all the file to C:\. The thing is, the install screen won't come on, and every time I go to C:\ to manually install it, the directory which the files extracted to gets deleted, which prevents me from installing it.

So please help me.

Thanks alot.
Ultra_Immortal
Hey guys.

I tried to install Windows Service Pack 2 today, and now I have some problems. When I tried to install it, it first extracted all the file to C:\. The thing is, the install screen won't come on, and every time I go to C:\ to manually install it, the directory which the files extracted to gets deleted, which prevents me from installing it.

So please help me.

Thanks alot.

How long did you wait. SP2 is quite big, so it can take quite some time. Just leave it some time. I had a machine, that took nearly an hour to update.
I had the most success with "ordering" SP2 through the mail from Microsoft. It is free in the United States at least, even the shipping.
I have installed it before. But my PC was reformatted, so now I don't even get to the install screen. It justs extrats and deletes itself, so I can't instlall it.
If you order it through the mail, your local Microsoft distributor mails you a CD containing Service Pack 2. It's fairly easy going after you receive it.
Well I do have it, I don't have to order anything. I downloaded it. The thing is I am having trouble installing it.
Did the download complete? Try running Windows Update again and install all the previous updates before trying to download/install SP2.

The reason why I suggest ordering it through the mail is because the one you downloaded is being a b***h. The shortest wait on delievery could be just a couple of days.
Like I said I have installed the version I downloaded before. On my mom's PC and mine. But then mine got reformatted. But what I will do is install Windows Service Pack 1 and then try 2. ^_^
I installed mine just fine last week.
i hate SP2. my auto updates told me to download it... and i did. and it messed my whole comp up. it wasnt even XP Home any more. GAHHHH!! i had to clear my whole comp to get it off! it sucked. everyone says its so good but i didnt find anything good about it....
Ultra_Immortal
Hey guys.

So please help me.

Thanks alot.

Here is your help. Get RID of SP2. I am sorry, however coming from a technician's standpoint it is a mistake for Microsoft to make those packs so readily available. They are not designed to be mandatory. Service Packs are for fixing computers with major problems. If your system was working fine before, then leave it be. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Perfect Regular

jmdl1983
Ultra_Immortal
Hey guys.

So please help me.

Thanks alot.

Here is your help. Get RID of SP2. I am sorry, however coming from a technician's standpoint it is a mistake for Microsoft to make those packs so readily available. They are not designed to be mandatory. Service Packs are for fixing computers with major problems. If your system was working fine before, then leave it be. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

<Personal Opinion>
True, but what about their extra features that they incorporate into these service packs? Security holes that people forget to patch? SP2 is just a giant windows update, and should be applied. Preventation is better than cure.
</Personal Opinion>

5,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Service Pack 2 is garbage... do NOT get it stressed
you should ahve windows update that automatically updates it for you...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff