Welcome to Gaia! ::

for applications or cache? theres 2 options.

or should i make a partition and use one for cache and the other one for applications? i got 200 gigs to spare.
Depends..If you could, I would split the hard drive in half, Then split what you split in half in half so that you could use both..Becuase they are both good...It's just a matter of what you want more really...
I routinely put the swap/page file (virtual memory) on a partition other than the boot partition. Usually it's not even on the same hard drive as the boot partition. I make sure the swap partition has at least 4 times the physical RAM in size and make the minimum swapfile size 2.5 times RAM. Then I avoid using that partition for much else.

On a 186GB (200GB market size) drive, if it is the only drive in my XP box, I would make a 16GB partition for the OS, a 165GB data partition, and a 4 to 5 GB swap partition (assuming 1 GB of RAM or less). All partitions would be NTFS. I would use programs like XTeq XSetup to push my Documents directory to the data partition and install most apps to a Program Files directory on the data partition. The swap partition would be exclusively for the virtual memory.
sweet thx heart lets see i have up to...the L: drive now
auto mangement
I don't really understand the concept of partitions, could someone please explain it to me.

Super Cyclops

sagebond76
I don't really understand the concept of partitions, could someone please explain it to me.

The space on a hd is split into segments called partitions. These partitions can be used in various ways (as logical drives for example, formatted with various file systems). Some people have only 1 partition, some have more. I have 5 (linux boot, linux home, xp, user, linux swap and xp swap). I don't think i explained it very well... sweatdrop

About swap files, it's good to make a system virtual memory swap file on a FAT16 partition on the very end of the disk (outer regions). FAT16 is good for large files and outer regions have a faster transfer rate.
I use my vm for apps, cache seems a better choice for servers.
to get the most speed out of virtual memory, don't put it on the same drive as Windows....partitinos dont matter, it's how fast the CPU can get data off the drive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff