Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok... I have BASIC knowledge about computers and I would love to know more about it, so I'm taking it step by step and piece by piece... so i need help.

I know what an operating system is and what is does... but PHYSICALLY.. is it the bootup disk...? Or is it the entire (For example) Windows XP software programming...? (If that is what you want installed..)

Ok, let me put my issue this way then... I have boot up disks from my old C drive.. and I yanked it out to install a new c drive (Bought a new hard drive). Note I do not have any other drives, BUT I want to make a clean installation of an OS.

My question is... is the OS included in the windows XP software...? Or is it something completely different. I just need to PINPOINT the details about the OS.... Please help!!!!!!
That is the OS...Just shove the CD in there partition the C: drive and then install everything
Spearfrost
Ok... I have BASIC knowledge about computers and I would love to know more about it, so I'm taking it step by step and piece by piece... so i need help.

I know what an operating system is and what is does... but PHYSICALLY.. is it the bootup disk...? Or is it the entire (For example) Windows XP software programming...? (If that is what you want installed..)

Ok, let me put my issue this way then... I have boot up disks from my old C drive.. and I yanked it out to install a new c drive (Bought a new hard drive). Note I do not have any other drives, BUT I want to make a clean installation of an OS.

My question is... is the OS included in the windows XP software...? Or is it something completely different. I just need to PINPOINT the details about the OS.... Please help!!!!!!

OS stands for Operating System. The operating system is the mass of files and whatnot that allow you to use your computer effectively. Windows XP, as a whole, is an operating system. Some other examples are Linux, Mac/OS. OS2, and UNIX. There's HP UNIX too, but we shall not go there.
SuicideKing187
That is the OS...Just shove the CD in there partition the C: drive and then install everything

So it is the windos software? >.< I'm sorry.... I just want to make sure... crying
Levilprivateer

OS stands for Operating System. The operating system is the mass of files and whatnot that allow you to use your computer effectively. Windows XP, as a whole, is an operating system. Some other examples are Linux, Mac/OS. OS2, and UNIX. There's HP UNIX too, but we shall not go there.

Ahhh!! Thank you!!! That's what I needed. One question though... is there a better OS other than XP..?
The OS is Windows. Windows Operating System. As for better, depends on preference mostly. Some swear by macs, some by linux flavors. There's no one "Best" OS out there. None are perfect.
Thats a matter of opinion, I prefer Linux OS, faster and far more effective than any Windows OS. But its also more complex and requires for you to get used to it. For example, Linux does not run .exe files, so almost every Windows program doesn't work unless theres a Linux port. For now I'd suggest you stick with XP, and if you're really into it, than do a dual boot Linux system. But if you do be careful and make sure you back up all your important files, cause you're bound to run into problems when learning.
DopplerZero
The OS is Windows. Windows Operating System. As for better, depends on preference mostly. Some swear by macs, some by linux flavors. There's no one "Best" OS out there. None are perfect.

True... but there's so much more to know... What's the difference with windows and Linux...? Can Linux OS use the Windows software...? Or is it a completely different software..? Or is it JUST an OS...?
Spearfrost
Levilprivateer

Ahhh!! Thank you!!! That's what I needed. One question though... is there a better OS other than XP..?

That's a matter of choice. I prefer XP because I've got a sizable collection of Windows based programs that will simply not work in Linux or on Macs, and I don't like the prospect of buying new programs. I like XP because it is, for the most part, stable as well; Windows 98SE has nothing on it. I do have a little bit of experience with Linux and some UNIX, and.... to be honest.... I didn't find them as useful, though I didn't have the time nor the patience to use them properly.

For your own purposes, XP would be the best choice; its designed for the casual user, which you seem to be. wink
Tekno-Crystal
Thats a matter of opinion, I prefer Linux OS, faster and far more effective than any Windows OS. But its also more complex and requires for you to get used to it. For example, Linux does not run .exe files, so almost every Windows program doesn't work unless theres a Linux port. For now I'd suggest you stick with XP, and if you're really into it, than do a dual boot Linux system. But if you do be careful and make sure you back up all your important files, cause you're bound to run into problems when learning.

>.< Guess you just answered that question... Thanks!!
Yeah. Windows is a pretty good general use OS. Linus for the advanced people who want to learn something new. But if you just want to browse the web, listen to MP3s, etc, Windows is probably your best bet. 3nodding
Levilprivateer
Spearfrost
Levilprivateer

That's a matter of choice. I prefer XP because I've got a sizable collection of Windows based programs that will simply not work in Linux or on Macs, and I don't like the prospect of buying new programs. I like XP because it is, for the most part, stable as well; Windows 98SE has nothing on it. I do have a little bit of experience with Linux and some UNIX, and.... to be honest.... I didn't find them as useful, though I didn't have the time nor the patience to use them properly.

For your own purposes, XP would be the best choice; its designed for the casual user, which you seem to be. wink

Thank you so much it really helps alot! Another question if I may.... If I make a boot up disk of XP can I use it in the NEW hard drive...? Or do I have to just get the completed XP software and install from there...?
If all you did was buy a new hard drive than you can just hook it up as the D: drive and windows should recognize it automatically as an empty drive (you may need to format it).

And by the way, Windows is far from stable, try dual monitor support on 98SE eek .
DopplerZero
Yeah. Windows is a pretty good general use OS. Linus for the advanced people who want to learn something new. But if you just want to browse the web, listen to MP3s, etc, Windows is probably your best bet. 3nodding

>.< Yeah... I think I'll stick to my learner's level before I move on to anything much more advance... 3nodding
Quote:
If I make a boot up disk of XP can I use it in the NEW hard drive...? Or do I have to just get the completed XP Isoftware and install from there...?

Yes; the boot disk is not system specific. However, most newer systems can install XP from the CD directly.... I'd try that before using a boot disk.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff