Welcome to Gaia! ::

My PC seems to be having a lot of problems lately, and I think it may be overheating. Whenever I use a CPU hungry program or use a lot of my bandwidth at once, my computer will sound like it's working up a storm, and will eventually freeze. No error window, no keyboard/mouse input; dead. I'll have to cold boot from there to get back into windows. Well, I haven't cleaned out my tower in a good stretch of time, so I thought that either the fan wasn't working efficiently because it's clogged, causing overheating, or that the fan was dying out. I also thought that it may be a new video card that I recently installed, and maybe that's making everything freeze up? It has it's own fan, I think, and is a GeForce 4 MX 4000. Don't think I'm using up my cards ram so much that it's locking up, but it may be possible? Any input is appreciated on how to alleviate this problem.
Kaolla
My PC seems to be having a lot of problems lately, and I think it may be overheating. Whenever I use a CPU hungry program or use a lot of my bandwidth at once, my computer will sound like it's working up a storm, and will eventually freeze. No error window, no keyboard/mouse input; dead. I'll have to cold boot from there to get back into windows. Well, I haven't cleaned out my tower in a good stretch of time, so I thought that either the fan wasn't working efficiently because it's clogged, causing overheating, or that the fan was dying out. I also thought that it may be a new video card that I recently installed, and maybe that's making everything freeze up? It has it's own fan, I think, and is a GeForce 4 MX 4000. Don't think I'm using up my cards ram so much that it's locking up, but it may be possible? Any input is appreciated on how to alleviate this problem.

The first step, since you changed video cards, should be to see if there are driver updates. If so, install them. If that doesn't fix the problem, try swapping the new video card for the old one.... again, run it to see if it has the same problem. You might aslo check your Bios; some bios programs have temperature sensors that'll tell you where yo ustand. Lastly, I suggest looking at the power supply; if you're running a lot of high end components, 400v should be the least you have for smooth operation... and 450 would probably be better.
If you haven't cleaned out your case, do so when you get the chance.

You may not have enough memory or a stick of RAM is dead. Grab a program like MemTest86 to check on the health of your RAM.

You may not have enough disk space or your Page File is too small. Use Windows Help and Support to learn more about the Page File and how to increase the size of it.

Also make sure you run Windows Update every now and again to make sure your computer stays up-to-date with patches, drivers, and other fixes.

You might also want to try scanning for Spyware/Adware and Virii just incase.
Skye Darkhawk
If you haven't cleaned out your case, do so when you get the chance.

You may not have enough memory or a stick of RAM is dead. Grab a program like MemTest86 to check on the health of your RAM.

You may not have enough disk space or your Page File is too small. Use Windows Help and Support to learn more about the Page File and how to increase the size of it.

Also make sure you run Windows Update every now and again to make sure your computer stays up-to-date with patches, drivers, and other fixes.

You might also want to try scanning for Spyware/Adware and Virii just incase.

Well, I tried a couple of RAM testers, but I need to create a boot disk to check it, and I don't have any floppies with me, so I'll have to skip that for now. I have a feeling that isn't the problem, because even 128mb RAM would be enough to run this program that crashes me.

Seeing as how I have 256mb of RAM, I've already changed my paging file size to 640 (recommended is 2.5x your RAM, or so people here tell me).

I also have every current Windows Update, I check regularly. Also, I scanned for Spy and Adware, and came up with no results. I'll install a virus detection program that I've been meaning to get around to but haven't yet in a bit and check, but I doubt this is the problem as well.

I should be cleaning out my case later today, hopefully that will solve the problem, after I clean it I'll check again and write back if problems persist.

Levilprivateer
The first step, since you changed video cards, should be to see if there are driver updates. If so, install them. If that doesn't fix the problem, try swapping the new video card for the old one.... again, run it to see if it has the same problem. You might aslo check your Bios; some bios programs have temperature sensors that'll tell you where yo ustand. Lastly, I suggest looking at the power supply; if you're running a lot of high end components, 400v should be the least you have for smooth operation... and 450 would probably be better.

Got all the newest driver updates the first day I installed it. I will try switching the cards back and testing if cleaning the case doesn't fix it, I was considering it but was too lazy. I'll also check my BIOS in the next few minutes, I'll see what it reads. Going to write a note to myself to check the power supply when I open the case up, and see what I have. How much are 400/450 watt power supplies, anyways, in case I don't have a decent one?
I think I got mine about a year or so ago for.... heck, about $79.
Umm this isn;t the right place but does anyone have any spare money or clothing i can ahve thanks biggrin biggrin smile wink
Funtools
Umm this isn;t the right place but does anyone have any spare money or clothing i can ahve thanks biggrin biggrin smile wink

YOU'RE RIGHT. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE! TO THE CHATTERBOX WITH THEE!
Please go and and die. kthx.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces