Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
On my mom's ancient Toshiba Satellite (400 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, Win9 cool when she hooks up this serial port mouse (with serial to PS/2 adapter), the moment she moves the mouse, it goes crazy. It whizzes around the desktop, randomly opening, closing, clicking and dragging stuff. It continues on after the mouse is unplugged. The only way to regain control is to cold boot.

The computer is fine with its own pointing device. Could this be a virus of some sort?
There should be a switch on the bottom of the mouse. Try changing it's position.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've never heard of a mouse having a switch on the bottom, or do you mean the laptop?
Mheh, I can't find one of my serial mice to confirm that. It was either a serial mouse or one really old PS/2 mouse. It one position the pointer was fine, but in the other it went all crazy.

There may also be a setting in the BIOS that adjusts how the serial port works.
Disconnect it, blow into the peripherals to get rid of dust and put it back in. Fixes mine every time. wink
this might be hard but you have to "put it down" and get a new mouse
You can also try to clean the mouse ball and rollers.
Shinobi_1977
I've never heard of a mouse having a switch on the bottom, or do you mean the laptop?

No, many old three button serial mouse have a switch to switch to a two button Microsoft Mouse mode. The three button mode often needed special drivers.

The behaviour you describe is the way, a mouse reacted, when the wrong driver was loaded.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
It's a two-button mouse. I'll tell my mom about downloading correct drivers for it.
Are you sure your mouse is plug and play?
Normally that kind of fault Is indicative of dust in the PS/2 port. however I have known it to be a symptom of a CPU about to explode it its temprature ok??
Have you removed the ball from the bottom of the mouse and cleaned inside of it...? I had this problem, I used a cuetip and got all the crud out of my mouse...It works like new now.
Time to switch to an optical mouse, buddy biggrin

Perfect Regular

I get this, and it isn't a problem with the rollers (well not for me anyway). The mouse just seems to hop around the screen randomly when you move the mouse.

In the end I had to put up with the trackpad. xp
I suggest buying a new mouse. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas