Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Millionaire

6,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Hello there, my fellow Gaians. I have an odd problem with my internet, even though when I go into my internet status it says its running at 140+ Mb/s I still have the odd problem of that the thing that calculates your connection with your internet says I'm running only 10 Mb/s at most. Because I game this is really a detriment, does anyone have any idea how I can raise the speed my internet connects at? Here are my stats for both my Router and Modem,

Router,
Cisco
FCC ID: Q87-E1200V2
IC: 3839A-E1200V2
Canada ICES/NMB003, RSS210
Class B
Model No. E1200 V2
Rating 12V---0.5A

Router,
Motorola
SURFboard Model: SB5120

Thanks guys.
10 Mb/s shouldn't put a strain on your gaming.
Also I don't fully remember what it was like, but it has to do with bits and bytes, something along the lines of dividing it by 8 or 10 to get your actual download speed.

I don't remember what it was like, but I think you should be fine.

Fashionable Millionaire

6,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Well now its only running from 1 to 7 mb/s, and my friend says shes running 100+ mb/s off of the same type of bundling with internet. I still wish there was a way to speed it up more, because what they say you should get and what I get are way off. It messes up my games a ton online. I'm just looking to get what I should be getting instead of this really crappy speed.
Miragen
Also I don't fully remember what it was like, but it has to do with bits and bytes, something along the lines of dividing it by 8 or 10 to get your actual download speed.

Pajama Powers
Well now its only running from 1 to 7 mb/s, and my friend says shes running 100+ mb/s off of the same type of bundling with internet. I still wish there was a way to speed it up more, because what they say you should get and what I get are way off. It messes up my games a ton online. I'm just looking to get what I should be getting instead of this really crappy speed.
Miragen

Even if you could get 100 mb/s, there is nothing you can download with that speed, it's going to get bottlenecked somewhere regardless.
Also online gameplay is also determined by upload speed/ping.
But even 1 m/b should do for gaming, I have no idea what kinds of games you are playing that you would need massive download speeds.
Latency ≠ Bandwidth. They are not the same. Whatever mbps you have doesn't determine how fast your ping will be.
But maybe try restarting your router by:

1. Unplugging it
2. Waiting for 30 seconds
3. Plug it in again and wait for it to start over.

If that doesn't work, then I could only name a few things that may be a cause for this problem:

- The router is far away from you
- There are things beside the router that is blocking the router's signal.
- Your ISP is having problems with their server
- There are too many devices connected and on using the Wi-Fi.
- There are media playing (especially videos) while you're using the internet/gaming

I'm forgetting some things, but I'll edit this post if I ever remember them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff