Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a 200GB hdd that windows XP pro only detects as a 120Gb hdd.. I know that there is something that you can add to the registry to fix it but I can't remeber what is is, can someone help me with it?
the only thing i can think of is to try partitioning the disk. either that or upgrade ur bios version.
See what your Storage/Drive Administration sees it as. I have a PC Chips MB that sees a 128GB drive but the WinXP Home OS formatted a 186GB partition (NTFS). If you format as FAT32, you will be forced to use a 128GB partitionand a 58GB partition. (Drive is a WD 200GB formatting to 186GB).
MalikTous
See what your Storage/Drive Administration sees it as. I have a PC Chips MB that sees a 128GB drive but the WinXP Home OS formatted a 186GB partition (NTFS). If you format as FAT32, you will be forced to use a 128GB partitionand a 58GB partition. (Drive is a WD 200GB formatting to 186GB).

Malik is correct. For all of its benefits, FAT32 has a size limitation. You need to convert to NTFS if you are in FAT32. Careful though as you will not be able to change back without formatting the drive.
let me be a little more specifik..
The drive I'm talking about is compleatly new(as in never formated before) and I haven't formated it the first time yet, as windows don't detect all the drive space. And there is a value in the registry that can be added to fix this problem. and as I will format in Windows XP then it will be formated to NTFS.

EDIT: now does anyone know the value that I should add in the registry that will fix it?
In case that anyone else have a similar problem:
Answer

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas