Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Will Cell revolutionize the computing world?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 31, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.

Cell microprocessors and their micro-architecture were jointly developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba are projected to be the base for Sony’s PlayStation3 console, while simplified or more powerful versions of the Cell chips will serve as the base for consumer electronics or more complex applications. The Cell microprocessors are expected to unleash massive computing power – something multimedia environments need tremendously – but will require some new approaches in programming for the central processing units.

According to Petrov Group, IBM’s “GHz U-turn,” away from frequency and toward System-on-Chip integration and memory density, will have profound consequences for all major players in the digital entertainment, enterprise computing, and semiconductor industry sectors. It could lead to mass extinctions and the emergence of new vendors and businesses; it will profoundly change the landscapes of entire industries and create new configurations of business innovation, productivity, and added value. The changes are imminent although still poorly, if at all, understood.

These building blocks will be highly integrated and super-dense, have very low power, and will be cost-effectively produced in ultra-large volumes. Perhaps most importantly, it will be software, rather than hardware, that will fuel the computing performance of the new systems,” Mr. Petrov said.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040715175108.html (bits and pieces of it...)
It is said that Sony often blows it's new technology out of proportion, but I really think this is not a blown out of proportion kinda thing. The Cell processor seems to have promise. The question is, how does using a wireless broadband network between chip clusters help computing? Does it have to do with pipeline capacity or something? I'm just confused...

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
this belongs in Tech Talk please PM a mod to move it I would but I'm trying to get ready

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff