Welcome to Gaia! ::

I heard something about if you match the bus on your computer with the router then it can work better all around.

but A i have no clue what a bus is and B I have no clue how to tell what is a better router.
Contest and Guild
I heard something about if you match the bus on your computer with the router then it can work better all around.

neutral

Contest and Guild
but A i have no clue what a bus is and B I have no clue how to tell what is a better router.

In computer architecture, a bus (related to the Latin omnibus, meaning "for all" wink is a communication system that transfers data between components inside a computer, or between computers

So, generally speaking, a bus is a system designed to move data from one place to another. In that sense, you could call your local area network a "bus", but that would be extremely uncommon nomenclature, to say that least.

What that person may be getting at however is that network devices that work at different speeds may end up negatively impacting your performance. For example, if you have a gigabit (1000 Mbit) capable switch as well as a gigabit file server, but a workstation that can only connect at 100 Mbit, the faster speed of the switch and server won't matter because the workstation can only up/download at 100 Mbit/s.

The same holds true for wireless networks, as well as vice versa. If you have a brand new laptop with 802.11ac wireless (theoretically capable of a 6.77 Gbit/s connection), but you're connecting to an 802.11g access point (max of 54Mbit/s) then your laptop is going to be limited by the speed of the router.

So find out what model of network adapter you have (via device manager or network properties) and what model of router you have (usually printed on the router) and if the speeds of those devices don't match then you should be able to figure out what one would need to change in order to improve your (theoretical) performance.
I just want to say thank you i am sorry i have not been on but thank you for the help this will greatly help me. btw nice to see you.

sorry about the dead thread bump but i had to say thank you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff