Welcome to Gaia! ::

XMegantronX
Miragen
The20
Miragen
XMegantronX

If it's just the RAM, you can buy a few more GB for under $50 I imagine, if it's the entire thing, then yeah.
Depends on what you intend to do with it.
This is a Pentium 4 system, it's probably running on DDR1. Not worth it, IMHO.

Yeah I suppose you're right, it's probably a bit older than i'm thinking.

Yeah, not idea how old it is, but it may be a losing battle with what I need it to do. I may just have to buy one.

Just double check the specs, I just looked up the requirements for photoshop and they are really low.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
The20
Miragen
XMegantronX

If it's just the RAM, you can buy a few more GB for under $50 I imagine, if it's the entire thing, then yeah.
Depends on what you intend to do with it.

Yeah, not idea how old it is, but it may be a losing battle with what I need it to do. I may just have to buy one.

Just double check the specs, I just looked up the requirements for photoshop and they are really low.

I will, but I figured if my laptop is struggling with it, then I'd need something better than that and no lower.
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
The20

I will, but I figured if my laptop is struggling with it, then I'd need something better than that and no lower.

Unless you laptop is equally old.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
The20

Not really. I think I got it in 2011...maybe...somewhere around there. It's a Gateway with 4GB DDR3 memory, 250GB HDD, and AMD dual-core processor.
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX

Not really. I think I got it in 2011...maybe...somewhere around there. It's a Gateway with 4GB DDR3 memory, 250GB HDD, and AMD dual-core processor.
Yeah, a Pentium 4 really is a steep down (or several). It wasn't really good for it's time and that was between 2000 and 2006. Your laptop would probably run circles around it.
Putting that aside, your laptop really should be able to keep up with Photoshop. Maybe there's too much stuff running in the background.
Yeah, I would also second getting a newer computer. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run recent versions of Photoshop (CS5+) smoothly on that setup, and the cost of upgrading is better spent towards a new computer. Image processing can be intensive, especially applying global convolution operations like noise reduction, and without a good CPU/GPU combination you're probably going to see a lot of lag.
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX

Based on the required specs I found with photoshop even the pentium 4 would nearly run it.
I imagine your laptop should be able to run it easily.

Adored Friend

11,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki
Hey sweet you might be better finding a friend close by who knows stuff about computers trying to assist from a distance without net connection on it is a bit difficult especially if you have no idea what is and isn't working.

Funny you should mention that XD just a few minutes ago the guy who repairs our computers at work said he could take a look at it for me on Sunday :3 he suspects it's the video driver or something.
Yes unfortunately that one issue could be heaps of different things it could be your drivers need updating, your video and graphics cards could need replacing, the mother board, the ram.... That's why I suggested getting someone close by to look at it because there are so many issues that can cause the monitor to not work. Hopefully something simple like updating drivers will fix it.

Adored Friend

11,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
Also in regards to updating the hard drive always go with an elements blue... NEVER EVER buy an elements green hard drive they normally die within a year.

Also if in Aussie ( I can't remember) these guys are very good and have really fantastic prices!!!

User Image

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The20
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX

Yeah, a Pentium 4 really is a steep down (or several). It wasn't really good for it's time and that was between 2000 and 2006. Your laptop would probably run circles around it.
Putting that aside, your laptop really should be able to keep up with Photoshop. Maybe there's too much stuff running in the background.

I usually close everything when working in Photoshop now-a-days. Kinda have to or it lags way more. I can't even play music and run photoshop at the same time. Usually it has a lot of trouble lagging when I'm using a larger brush for the background. It gets pretty bad when working at 600dpi. Sometimes I have to lower it to 300dpi, which I hate for anything except sketches. Occasionally it'll freeze or randomly make a straight mark across my canvas.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Mitsu-Mitsuki
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki
Hey sweet you might be better finding a friend close by who knows stuff about computers trying to assist from a distance without net connection on it is a bit difficult especially if you have no idea what is and isn't working.

Funny you should mention that XD just a few minutes ago the guy who repairs our computers at work said he could take a look at it for me on Sunday :3 he suspects it's the video driver or something.
Yes unfortunately that one issue could be heaps of different things it could be your drivers need updating, your video and graphics cards could need replacing, the mother board, the ram.... That's why I suggested getting someone close by to look at it because there are so many issues that can cause the monitor to not work. Hopefully something simple like updating drivers will fix it.

We'll see on Sunday. The guy is right down the street (Whoo!) Hope it's not too bad.

And I'm in the states, so Aussie computer peeps won't be possible XD

Thinking maybe I should be asking "Why is my laptop lagging on Photoshop?" Lol
XMegantronX
The20
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX

I usually close everything when working in Photoshop now-a-days. Kinda have to or it lags way more. I can't even play music and run photoshop at the same time. Usually it has a lot of trouble lagging when I'm using a larger brush for the background. It gets pretty bad when working at 600dpi. Sometimes I have to lower it to 300dpi, which I hate for anything except sketches. Occasionally it'll freeze or randomly make a straight mark across my canvas.
That's not really what i mean. I'm assuming you're using Windows 7. Open the start menu, type "msconfig" in the search box and hit enter. A dialog will open (may take a second), look for the tab "system start". If there are more than a handful entries there's a good chance there's some stuff you don't need that runs in the background and may or may not waste resources doing so.

Adored Friend

11,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki

We'll see on Sunday. The guy is right down the street (Whoo!) Hope it's not too bad.

Kill 2 birds with one stone he offered his services it can't hurt to ask, he'll either look at it or he'll say no.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The20
XMegantronX
The20
XMegantronX
Miragen
XMegantronX

That's not really what i mean. I'm assuming you're using Windows 7. Open the start menu, type "msconfig" in the search box and hit enter. A dialog will open (may take a second), look for the tab "system start". If there are more than a handful entries there's a good chance there's some stuff you don't need that runs in the background and may or may not waste resources doing so.

oh XD I really need to learn more about computers...does it look like this?
User Image

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Mitsu-Mitsuki
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki
XMegantronX
Mitsu-Mitsuki

Kill 2 birds with one stone he offered his services it can't hurt to ask, he'll either look at it or he'll say no.

True. We'll see tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces