Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

STORY - bought a new modem to put into my computer and it only connects at 28.8kbps although it is a 56k modem. its not the line because when i use the same line to connect with my laptop it connects at 52kbps.
That's really funny, because I have a 56 k modem and it doesn't even connect at 28.8. I guess it's really all just where you're connecting to.

-shrug-
Is it a decent quality (USR, Motorola, Hayes...) modem, preferrably a full-hardware implementation, not a cheezy embedded or CNR riser modem? HSP and PCTel are known for being a bit lame...

Plenty of marginal lines will perform well on a USR Courier but drop to analog V34 rates on a low-end modem.
Go into your connection properties, and click Configure under the modem description on the Options tab. Once done, go into...um, I think it's Settings or something of the sort, and look for something that says Maximum Rate or something. Make sure that's at 56000 or higher.

Dapper Genius

MalikTous
Is it a decent quality (USR, Motorola, Hayes...) modem, preferrably a full-hardware implementation, not a cheezy embedded or CNR riser modem? HSP and PCTel are known for being a bit lame...

Plenty of marginal lines will perform well on a USR Courier but drop to analog V34 rates on a low-end modem.

Im not sure but here are the SPECS

Dapper Genius

Phoenix_bird of fire
Go into your connection properties, and click Configure under the modem description on the Options tab. Once done, go into...um, I think it's Settings or something of the sort, and look for something that says Maximum Rate or something. Make sure that's at 56000 or higher.
its set at 921600 but still connectin at 28.8

Dapper Genius

Just so you know, dial-up modem connection speed is dependent on ISP infrastructure and limit. Modem. Modem settings. Phone line quality. ISP status/response time. It could be any number of these things, most likely it's your ISP or phone line.

Dapper Genius

Kaelic
Just so you know, dial-up modem connection speed is dependent on ISP infrastructure and limit. Modem. Modem settings. Phone line quality. ISP status/response time. It could be any number of these things, most likely it's your ISP or phone line.
well, the same line, same ISP, and the only change was hardware
Check the manufacturer's website to see if there are any firmware upgrades.

Also, it could just be a shitty line from between your computer and the wall jack, or from the wall jack to the line outside. Try connecting your laptop through the line your computer is using.
this happened to me too 28.8kbps or 31.2kbps for 2 years and it stopped 1 month ago i dont know y
HI! I am a educated computer tech. The most a Dial up line can EVER get for its uplink (connection) is 48.8kbps. That is the cap that phone companies put on it so it wont interfere with telephone conversations.
ok mister computer tech, then why when i had dialup was it always at 56k? and you could have gotten a 28k modem in a 56k box.sometimes that happens where people like to switch products and packages.
I agree. I connect to a free unlimited dialup Internet access provider for my area, and I never get anything slower than 52K. Considering that phone lines and switching systems are only capable of up to 53K, I think that's doing quite well, thank you
The modem if it is new, would meet the V.92 standards and that means it can connect at 56k. If you've already checked the configuration settings and the connection speed says it is at 56 k then you need to update the firmware, which you can usually do at www.windowsupdate.com or your modem manufacturer's site.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff