Welcome to Gaia! ::

After reading Marvels (this panel in particular was inspiring) recently I've decided to start reading some Marvel comics and I wanted to start with something the most familiar to me: X-Men. I started doing research on where to begin. Considering there are next to no reboots or retcons in Marvel that I can find on the surface (or at least as definitive as DC's New 52 reboot) almost all of X-Men's continuity can be traced back to Stan Lee/Jack Kirby's original '63 run onward. It has been suggested to me that since I know the basis of the X-Men that I should simply pick up at a more recent point in the story through TPBs and the like instead of going back to the start.

But I have a very serious issue with not starting from the beginning. Even if I start from the beginning of an arc, as long as I know that something came before it everything I'm reading will be nagging me to go back to the origin and start over. My other reason for reading X-Men in its entirety is also for the fact that there is so much to read. I want to be able to read these stories in order for a long while.

My plan is to find TPBs, graphic novels and as many collections of these stories as I can without having to buy the individual comics while still maintaining the chronology of the story and its continuity. I have found a very detailed chronology on this blog that details (apparently) the exact order in which each story should be read. But my question is would reading things in this order (from the timeline's start to finish) be more interesting or idealistic to reading things in their printed order?

I suppose this questions could also be asked of any comic book series ever written but, I still wanted the opinion of otherst on what matters when starting a series from start to finish. Any and all opinions are welcome, I simply need some insight and perception before moving forward with purchases.

Wheezing Gawker

Personally, I would read them in printed order. I would rather experience it as someone who was picking up the issues as they were being released. Something about going through series in their chronological order bothers me. I feel that it modifies how it was originally intended to be read. But if you're looking to experience it all in chronological order, I'm sure that would be very interesting for you. It doesn't matter a whole lot.

I've read most of the important X-Men arcs and I can tell you that you're in for a treat! The X-Men series are great reads. Good luck on your quest!
xd

Shirtless Seeker

Usually printed > Chronological. A lot of comics which take place before other comics but come out after still assume you're reading in printed order, so they'll treat things that you don't know yet as common knowledge.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff