Welcome to Gaia! ::

“The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Article link: Here

I have very mixed feelings about this. While I'm sure this will engage more female readers, I've always known Thor as a man. What are your thoughts?

Timid Kitten

17,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
User Image

i also have mixed feelings.
i'm a big fan of strong female leads but--
this is a pretty severe change, and according to everything i've heard...
it seems like it's a legitimate female thor, not lady thor or anything like that

sure, i think it'll bring in more female readers
but it could easily turn away old fans of the series...
too much change isn't always the best thing.

but i guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
v_v

User Image
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Questing Alchemist

39,425 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Master Converter 500
It's made me curious and willing to check out the first issue, which is probably what Marvel wants.

I don't actually have an issue with Thor being a woman. I remember when Thor was an alien (Beta Ray Bill--and he was Thor since he was wielding Mjolnir). And that was fine, if odd. This time Thor's still human, which is even less of an adjustment.

If they follow the path that Ms. Marvel took to becoming Captain Marvel, then I'll know they've done it right and I may stick around.

Just looking at the costume design--not a fan of the breastplate, but at least it's not the metal cups that Valkyrie's costume has.

I remember a What If...? comic that had Rogue becoming Thor. What I liked about it was that it did deal with how Odin and the rest of Asgard had to learn to adjust (and finally accept) Thor was now a woman. I'm assuming the series will tackle these questions again, but in a more thorough manner.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Urd Tanzanite
It's made me curious and willing to check out the first issue, which is probably what Marvel wants.

I don't actually have an issue with Thor being a woman. I remember when Thor was an alien (Beta Ray Bill--and he was Thor since he was wielding Mjolnir). And that was fine, if odd. This time Thor's still human, which is even less of an adjustment.

If they follow the path that Ms. Marvel took to becoming Captain Marvel, then I'll know they've done it right and I may stick around.

Just looking at the costume design--not a fan of the breastplate, but at least it's not the metal cups that Valkyrie's costume has.

I remember a What If...? comic that had Rogue becoming Thor. What I liked about it was that it did deal with how Odin and the rest of Asgard had to learn to adjust (and finally accept) Thor was now a woman. I'm assuming the series will tackle these questions again, but in a more thorough manner.
I think it's funny that people have a problem with this. Especially if you look at one of the Norse myths where Freyja is forced to marry...some guy or giant...something. Anyway I can't remember if it was Loki or Freyja came up with the plan but they basically coerced Thor to dress up as Freyja and marry the giant..thing in her place. Thor pretty much dressed up like a woman.

So anytime I see people get "uneasy" or have mixed feelings I just laugh. Because Thor actually dressed up as a woman in the Norse myths. But everyone forgets that.

There was also a What If? comic of Natasha aka Black Widow being selected by Mjolnir and she turned out awesome as Thor.
I think it's gonna be cool. it'll depend on how they handle it, of course, but a female thor is great in theory. let's see the applicability

Sweet Creature

34,275 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500
I was hoping it'd be like when Loki became a lady, cause she was fun... aside from the whole stealing Sif's body and leaving her soul to rot bit. >_>;

a whole new character, though? I'll wait and see, I guess. Legacy characters are fun when they're written well.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
The art looks great and so far I am highly interested in what they are going to do with the story. It really is a twist that marvel is doing this but they must have something planned.

Questing Alchemist

39,425 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Master Converter 500
Astra Green
Urd Tanzanite
I think it's funny that people have a problem with this. Especially if you look at one of the Norse myths where Freyja is forced to marry...some guy or giant...something. Anyway I can't remember if it was Loki or Freyja came up with the plan but they basically coerced Thor to dress up as Freyja and marry the giant..thing in her place. Thor pretty much dressed up like a woman.

So anytime I see people get "uneasy" or have mixed feelings I just laugh. Because Thor actually dressed up as a woman in the Norse myths. But everyone forgets that.

There was also a What If? comic of Natasha aka Black Widow being selected by Mjolnir and she turned out awesome as Thor.

It was the Frost Giants, though I can't remember the exact reason why she had to marry. And thank you for reminding me about that (I too forgot). I remember that they couldn't talk Thor into shaving his beard, so they had to put a veil on him. cat_blaugh And they had to keep making excuses for why this goddess was acting so... odd (i.e., manly)--oh she's shaking with nervousness (instead of rage); she starved herself for weeks (to explain Thor's normal appetite for food and drink). Ah, good times.

Eternal Shade

11,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I'm excited for it, though I'm sure why so many people feel uneasy about it when Thor has been Beta-Ray Bill and frog before a woman shouldn't be too far from the realm of possibility

Dapper Shapeshifter

Urd Tanzanite
Astra Green
Urd Tanzanite

It was the Frost Giants, though I can't remember the exact reason why she had to marry. And thank you for reminding me about that (I too forgot). I remember that they couldn't talk Thor into shaving his beard, so they had to put a veil on him. cat_blaugh And they had to keep making excuses for why this goddess was acting so... odd (i.e., manly)--oh she's shaking with nervousness (instead of rage); she starved herself for weeks (to explain Thor's normal appetite for food and drink). Ah, good times.

Thrym stole Mjolnir and held it as ransom for marrying Freyja. This myth is part of the reason Laufey said "run home little princess" to bait Thor in the movie.

I'm pretty excited about Thor being a woman, though. If people can handle him being a damn frog, they should be able to handle a gender swap. I like how the entertainment sites are saying it'll influence the movies. Jeez.

Questing Alchemist

39,425 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Master Converter 500
LokiiLaufeyson
Thrym stole Mjolnir and held it as ransom for marrying Freyja. This myth is part of the reason Laufey said "run home little princess" to bait Thor in the movie.

I'm pretty excited about Thor being a woman, though. If people can handle him being a damn frog, they should be able to handle a gender swap. I like how the entertainment sites are saying it'll influence the movies. Jeez.

I actually haven't seen the movie. I couldn't get my friends to agree to go. cat_emo

Well, I can't fault sites for stirring the pot. Anything to get people to click the link. It's already been confirmed nothing will happen with cinematic Thor (same with Captain America).

Dapper Shapeshifter

Urd Tanzanite
LokiiLaufeyson

I actually haven't seen the movie. I couldn't get my friends to agree to go. cat_emo

Well, I can't fault sites for stirring the pot. Anything to get people to click the link. It's already been confirmed nothing will happen with cinematic Thor (same with Captain America).

Netflix! MCU is my favorite.

And if Tony Stark can get away with biting a shark and Thor can be a frog, and all the other crazy stuff that happens in the Marvel Multiverse is okay with people, they need to stop complaining about Thor being a woman in a story line.

But seriously, you should see the movies.
Meh, Thor will be back within a few years, so I don't really care.

Inquisitive Prophet

Dolce Darling
“The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Article link: Here

I have very mixed feelings about this. While I'm sure this will engage more female readers, I've always known Thor as a man. What are your thoughts?

This actually makes me more interested to be honest, it's just an intriguing change so I'm going to check into it. I never see a woman with a hammer as a weapon, especially one who is taking on the role of such an iconic character. I'm personally excited to see what'll happen! biggrin I only know of another female character who uses a heavy weapon like a hammer and that's Hawkgirl. I love that chick lol.

Crytuf's Prince

Beloved Trickster

........bweebs whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out