Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why is there so much hate for this book? I was reading in the back of issue 3 and saw that letters to the editor page and almost everyone wishes they hadn't read The Amazing Spider Man 700 and it was pretty much universal disdain for the new status quo. It may not be fair to judge from that but I've also been here and there on the web and have found people voicing negative opinions. I would like to know why or at least why you think it is that way. Are comic readers so intrenched in the "status quo" that whenever that is broken they just automatically react without giving it a chance which forces a big yearly event to revert it back? I saw this a lot with the New 52 as well on the DC side. Also if you are one of those people that hate The Superior Spider Man or the New 52 tell me why. Use real arguments and reasons and try to be civilized. None of this Nu52 stuff or things like that in your posts.

Dangerous Hunter

Kazemaru Shichijo
Why is there so much hate for this book? I was reading in the back of issue 3 and saw that letters to the editor page and almost everyone wishes they hadn't read The Amazing Spider Man 700 and it was pretty much universal disdain for the new status quo. It may not be fair to judge from that but I've also been here and there on the web and have found people voicing negative opinions. I would like to know why or at least why you think it is that way. Are comic readers so intrenched in the "status quo" that whenever that is broken they just automatically react without giving it a chance which forces a big yearly event to revert it back? I saw this a lot with the New 52 as well on the DC side. Also if you are one of those people that hate The Superior Spider Man or the New 52 tell me why. Use real arguments and reasons and try to be civilized. None of this Nu52 stuff or things like that in your posts.

Normally I'm all for hating on people who rail against anything new, but I think this might be a "once burned, twice shy" situation. The last time Marvel shook up the status quo with Spider-Man they gave us Brand New Day. I'm not reading it, but from the pages I've been exposed to Superior Spider-Man is quite good.

The New 52 features some good talent and some bad, same as before, but editorially it's been a mess. Batman's gone through five Robins in five years? It's nonsense that leaves no room for the emotional depth these characters' relationships have always had. It's a short sighted hack that only exists to make everyone seem young, just like Brand New Day was.

As if the age of the characters was more important than the quality of the stories. Like shying away from calling "Richard" Grayson *d**k*, or removing Superman's trunks and drawing lines all over his costume, or just about every puerile bit of nonsense that makes its way into the pages of Red Hood and the Outlaws, it comes off as awkward and desperate to me. Trying to be cool but only managing offensive and distasteful.

Doesn't hurt that its all rife with misogyny, from eliminating half the female heroes from the Batman universe to trying to fire the only female creator who made it through the reboot from the book she's had nothing but success with to everything about what they did with Starfire.
Caitian
Kazemaru Shichijo

Normally I'm all for hating on people who rail against anything new, but I think this might be a "once burned, twice shy" situation. The last time Marvel shook up the status quo with Spider-Man they gave us Brand New Day. I'm not reading it, but from the pages I've been exposed to Superior Spider-Man is quite good.

The New 52 features some good talent and some bad, same as before, but editorially it's been a mess. Batman's gone through five Robins in five years? It's nonsense that leaves no room for the emotional depth these characters' relationships have always had. It's a short sighted hack that only exists to make everyone seem young, just like Brand New Day was.

As if the age of the characters was more important than the quality of the stories. Like shying away from calling "Richard" Grayson *d**k*, or removing Superman's trunks and drawing lines all over his costume, or just about every puerile bit of nonsense that makes its way into the pages of Red Hood and the Outlaws, it comes off as awkward and desperate to me. Trying to be cool but only managing offensive and distasteful.

Doesn't hurt that its all rife with misogyny, from eliminating half the female heroes from the Batman universe to trying to fire the only female creator who made it through the reboot from the book she's had nothing but success with to everything about what they did with Starfire.

I do admit now that I am realizing that they didn't fully go with the full reboot with the New 52 I am seeing flaws. Such as going through all those Robins in 5 years. The Superman trunks to me it was honestly about time. The lines and making it armor I thought was a nice change. I wish they would ditch the S on the back of the cape. I always thought that was just a bit much for his costume honestly.

The Spider-Man stuff honestly is very good. Its three issues in but I would recommend giving it a shot. I'm aware that despite the guys dreams this status quo probably won't hold for 700 issues. I would love to see it last longer then 1 year though. I'm not completely familiar with the comic Doc Oc I'll admit but from the movie version and animated versions he seems like a pretty bad guy (well duh) you know what I mean I'm sure. I like to view this as a redemption story for him honestly. If they do send it back to the Peter status quo I hope they send him off with a big event and actually keep Doc Oc a hero instead of a villain. Don't think it will make it to 100 issues even but I'm hoping for at least 50. A few years with Doc Oc I think would be fun.

Dangerous Hunter

Kazemaru Shichijo
I do admit now that I am realizing that they didn't fully go with the full reboot with the New 52 I am seeing flaws. Such as going through all those Robins in 5 years. The Superman trunks to me it was honestly about time. The lines and making it armor I thought was a nice change. I wish they would ditch the S on the back of the cape. I always thought that was just a bit much for his costume honestly.

I'd be perfectly happy to see a comprehensive costume redesign that happens to include removing the undies. Aaron Diaz came up with a beautiful one recently. But a redesign that consists of only that and nothing else (the "armour" lines don't count -- even The Flash has those now) just shows me that they're acting out of embarrassment.

Kazemaru Shichijo
The Spider-Man stuff honestly is very good. Its three issues in but I would recommend giving it a shot. I'm aware that despite the guys dreams this status quo probably won't hold for 700 issues. I would love to see it last longer then 1 year though. I'm not completely familiar with the comic Doc Oc I'll admit but from the movie version and animated versions he seems like a pretty bad guy (well duh) you know what I mean I'm sure. I like to view this as a redemption story for him honestly. If they do send it back to the Peter status quo I hope they send him off with a big event and actually keep Doc Oc a hero instead of a villain. Don't think it will make it to 100 issues even but I'm hoping for at least 50. A few years with Doc Oc I think would be fun.

Seems to me the best way to end the story would be to have Ock sacrifice his conciousness so Peter can resume his life. That would be the most sincere demonstration of redemption. If the writers can make you sad to read that story, they'll have succeeded.
Caitian

I'd be perfectly happy to see a comprehensive costume redesign that happens to include removing the undies. Aaron Diaz came up with a beautiful one recently. But a redesign that consists of only that and nothing else (the "armour" lines don't count -- even The Flash has those now) just shows me that they're acting out of embarrassment.

Acting out of embarrassment and why don't the armor lines count? I've never once seen an explanation for that get up except that his mom made it for him or something along those lines.

Caitian

Seems to me the best way to end the story would be to have Ock sacrifice his conciousness so Peter can resume his life. That would be the most sincere demonstration of redemption. If the writers can make you sad to read that story, they'll have succeeded.

I suppose so. Still I wish comic book deaths could be a tad bit more permanent. I mean I am aware that they kept Barry Allen dead and Jean Grey dead for quite some time after Crisis on Infinite Earths and The Dark Phoenix Saga. I say if they do that with Ock then they need to keep the character gone. Like forever, or at least a substantial amount of time. Enough for a generation to grow into adulthood.

Dangerous Hunter

Kazemaru Shichijo
Caitian

Acting out of embarrassment and why don't the armor lines count? I've never once seen an explanation for that get up except that his mom made it for him or something along those lines.

The armour is a generic element that's been added to all League members. It's not part of a *Superman* costume redesign, and it's got nothing to do with the character. Of all superheroes, he's the last one who should be wearing armour. You may as well give Aquaman scuba gear. The classic image of Superman is bullets bouncing off his chest -- kind of diluted if it's his armour deflecting them.

I think the explanation they gave in the silver age was that it was just the style of clothing all Kryptonians worse. Which is essentially the explanation they're using for the new costume. Except now it's traditional battle gear, instead of traditional formal wear.

I agree with you on comic book death. I miss Wally West and have no interest in Barry Allen. We all know Peter will come back sooner or later, but I at least hope that when it happens there will be a definite cost to it.
Caitian
Kazemaru Shichijo
Caitian

The armour is a generic element that's been added to all League members. It's not part of a *Superman* costume redesign, and it's got nothing to do with the character. Of all superheroes, he's the last one who should be wearing armour. You may as well give Aquaman scuba gear. The classic image of Superman is bullets bouncing off his chest -- kind of diluted if it's his armour deflecting them.

I think the explanation they gave in the silver age was that it was just the style of clothing all Kryptonians worse. Which is essentially the explanation they're using for the new costume. Except now it's traditional battle gear, instead of traditional formal wear.

I agree with you on comic book death. I miss Wally West and have no interest in Barry Allen. We all know Peter will come back sooner or later, but I at least hope that when it happens there will be a definite cost to it.

I still think its a better touch then formal wear. The way I see it is if it was formal wear to begin with its like a human using a tuxedo for a costume instead of a kevlar vest or something. Just makes more sense honestly.

Seriously about Peter though. Anything done with Ock and Peter and whatever transferring that might occur whatever happens needs to stay that way long enough for me to have kids and have them grow up.

Dangerous Visionary

I think for me its just the laughable b-rated comedy type of set up it has. *Pretty much trade waiting so excuse me for my ignorance* But basically Dr. Oct is kind of good guy now after killing Peter Parker and sharing Peter's body with Ghost Peter while fighting crime? LOL WUT? I'm sorry Marvel but Netflix instant now how Ghost Dad if I wanted to watch such crap I would much rather watch that. Seriously.

I will be forever happy when the big two are out of this whole midlife disastrous phrase they are going too. I really hate the fact that even if I wasn't unemployed I seriously wouldn't be reading any marvel or DC titles in single issue mode and that's kind of scary to me.
Miss-dark8607
I think for me its just the laughable b-rated comedy type of set up it has. *Pretty much trade waiting so excuse me for my ignorance* But basically Dr. Oct is kind of good guy now after killing Peter Parker and sharing Peter's body with Ghost Peter while fighting crime? LOL WUT? I'm sorry Marvel but Netflix instant now how Ghost Dad if I wanted to watch such crap I would much rather watch that. Seriously.

I will be forever happy when the big two are out of this whole midlife disastrous phrase they are going too. I really hate the fact that even if I wasn't unemployed I seriously wouldn't be reading any marvel or DC titles in single issue mode and that's kind of scary to me.

Why is that? What is so bad about them?
Personally, the mention of the title makes me burn with rage. I could make a massive rant, but the main thing is - it treats MJ like a ******** slab of meat and treats sexual abuse as a bloody joke. Masturbating in someone else's body without consent? Sexual Abuse. I am a survivor and it bugs the s**t out of me. Of course I'm angry at killing off Peter Parker, and the crap written s**t it is - but if you're going to handle a case as sensitive as abuse, you have to be ******** tasteful. Also, he posted somewhere that the reason he changed Peter's body with Otto's is because it is a long 'fantasy' of his. He basically said he would like to swap bodies with a handsome man and score - but what he seems oblivious to is that if you switch bodies with someone, don't tell and then have sex with someone who is friends or close to them, or even an aqquantince, that is rape. God, as a woman, I feel Slott treats us like freaking dirt. I'm going to stop before I hulk up.

Dangerous Visionary

Kazemaru Shichijo
Miss-dark8607

Why is that? What is so bad about them?

Their midlife issues are insulting to my brain and v****a and let's leave it at that. Cause I don't want rage about the issues with the big two. No more than I have. I hate to be so cold but I can't wait till the new generation of editors, writers, and such take over DC and Marvel. I hope in the new few decades that more women and non-white talent are allowed in as that would solve some of the more glaring issues both companies have and then things like this series wouldn't likely have to happen.

4,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I don't dislike Superior Spider-Man, per se, but rather what Joe Quesada has done to Peter Parker (not Dr. Otto Octavius) back in 2007: have Mephisto the Devil broker a deal with Pete to nullify his marriage to MJ and save the aunt who should have been dead ages ago but whose life was clinging by a thread this time by a Kingpin-hired assassin's bullet). As a result, I haven't read any Spider-Man comics since. Good riddance, Peter Parker, it wasn't Doc Ock who killed you; it was Joey Q. Too bad we can't wipe out his marriage because a married Spidey was way too much for a old man who's still trapped in 1992 staring at his Batman: Sword of Azrael artwork.

I do despise the "Pew 52," though. I'm a longtime reader who lived to see the first Crisis conceive the Post-Crisis DCU. Once DC regains the rights to the Superman properties from the Siegel and Shuster estates, they'll eventually restore the proper universe (just as the Pre-Crisis DCU was)--and restore the Lois/Clark marriage and trash the DCnU garbage, altogether. It's obvious that Dan DiDio's great plan for DC is failing miserably with more titles being cancelled than pitched (more so than DC's "Implosion of '78" ).
Norman Obama
I don't dislike Superior Spider-Man, per se, but rather what Joe Quesada has done to Peter Parker (not Dr. Otto Octavius) back in 2007: have Mephisto the Devil broker a deal with Pete to nullify his marriage to MJ and save the aunt who should have been dead ages ago but whose life was clinging by a thread this time by a Kingpin-hired assassin's bullet). As a result, I haven't read any Spider-Man comics since. Good riddance, Peter Parker, it wasn't Doc Ock who killed you; it was Joey Q. Too bad we can't wipe out his marriage because a married Spidey was way too much for a old man who's still trapped in 1992 staring at his Batman: Sword of Azrael artwork.

I do despise the "Pew 52," though. I'm a longtime reader who lived to see the first Crisis conceive the Post-Crisis DCU. Once DC regains the rights to the Superman properties from the Siegel and Shuster estates, they'll eventually restore the proper universe (just as the Pre-Crisis DCU was)--and restore the Lois/Clark marriage and trash the DCnU garbage, altogether. It's obvious that Dan DiDio's great plan for DC is failing miserably with more titles being cancelled than pitched (more so than DC's "Implosion of '78" ).

You see I asked that people be nice or at least polite in their posts. No Nu52 or Pew 52 or anything immature. Anyway that is beside the point. I'll be straight up honest with you. I haven't read comics until TDKR and Avengers came out. New 52 launched around that time and shortly after Marvel NOW! so I said its now or never which kudos to them. Marketing did its job (and from what I've heard The New 52 might have saved the comic industry or at least DC from going down). On the subject of Spider-Man I'm aware of some of these details. Though I can't stress strongly enough read the last Spidey story arc at least. 689-700 and then try Superior Spider Man. Its not a bad book.

And by your statement on DC I am scared to ask the age but I can guess you are an old devoted fan. Honestly I would hate to see this universe tossed aside just like that. There are some real good books in it. Hell I've heard when Aquaman launched it outsold all of Marvel. I'm guessing you've hated the general universe since they smashed the thing together in Crisis on Infinite Earths? Just want to get a bit more of a feel of where your coming from on the DC standpoint.

4,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Kazemaru Shichijo
Norman Obama

You see I asked that people be nice or at least polite in their posts. No Nu52 or Pew 52 or anything immature. Anyway that is beside the point. I'll be straight up honest with you. I haven't read comics until TDKR and Avengers came out. New 52 launched around that time and shortly after Marvel NOW! so I said its now or never which kudos to them. Marketing did its job (and from what I've heard The New 52 might have saved the comic industry or at least DC from going down). On the subject of Spider-Man I'm aware of some of these details. Though I can't stress strongly enough read the last Spidey story arc at least. 689-700 and then try Superior Spider Man. Its not a bad book.

And by your statement on DC I am scared to ask the age but I can guess you are an old devoted fan. Honestly I would hate to see this universe tossed aside just like that. There are some real good books in it. Hell I've heard when Aquaman launched it outsold all of Marvel. I'm guessing you've hated the general universe since they smashed the thing together in Crisis on Infinite Earths? Just want to get a bit more of a feel of where your coming from on the DC standpoint.

Um, I'm not insulting anybody, other than you apparently, by classifying The New 52 as "The Pew 52." People like you and I are hereby entitled to your opinions, after all. Old saying goes, If you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

Here are my points:

*Again, I refuse to read any "One More Day" Spider-Man title. I grew up reading a married Spider-Man and was horribly shocked when my 20-year Spidey collection was now suddenly rendered moot. And then what happened after "Brand New Day"? Suddenly, his rogues gallery has been resurrected: Harry Osborn, the Quentin Beck Mysterio, and the original Kraven the Hunter--characters who have died classic deaths! If anything, those writers have terribly lost sight with Pete and stupidly want us to believe that the same-old, same-old is "new and exciting". Married Spidey was new; single, financially desperate Pete is not. We mature and so should our characters.

*Regarding Pew 52, I could care less about Aquaman. I don't care if he sells 75,000+ monthly units or 75. He's always been a one-dimensional character, in my (comic) book. The "new" Orin is simply a wild, mutton chop-sideburned lunatic taking pleasure in stabbing foes in their chests with Neptune's Trident. I'm sure you forgotten about Peter David's classic mariner-esque look for Aquaman complete with long, grimy hair and detachable scythe--the best Aquaman in my opinion.

Keep that thought in mind about my age. If you fervently read my profile text (It's very educational!), you'll know that I hate being asked of it. I despise profiling on any level from anybody anywhere. And I will always remain an Avengers fan, regardless of how bad you might think it's been over the years. Unlike you, I won't incessantly whine, pressure, and chagrin you into buying (or not) said book just as you are with me regarding the post-OMD Spidey and Pew 52 books (save for Green Lantern starring new Muslim GL Simon Baz).
Norman Obama
Kazemaru Shichijo
Norman Obama

Um, I'm not insulting anybody, other than you apparently, by classifying The New 52 as "The Pew 52." People like you and I are hereby entitled to your opinions, after all. Old saying goes, If you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

Here are my points:

*Again, I refuse to read any "One More Day" Spider-Man title. I grew up reading a married Spider-Man and was horribly shocked when my 20-year Spidey collection was now suddenly rendered moot. And then what happened after "Brand New Day"? Suddenly, his rogues gallery has been resurrected: Harry Osborn, the Quentin Beck Mysterio, and the original Kraven the Hunter--characters who have died classic deaths! If anything, those writers have terribly lost sight with Pete and stupidly want us to believe that the same-old, same-old is "new and exciting". Married Spidey was new; single, financially desperate Pete is not. We mature and so should our characters.

*Regarding Pew 52, I could care less about Aquaman. I don't care if he sells 75,000+ monthly units or 75. He's always been a one-dimensional character, in my (comic) book. The "new" Orin is simply a wild, mutton chop-sideburned lunatic taking pleasure in stabbing foes in their chests with Neptune's Trident. I'm sure you forgotten about Peter David's classic mariner-esque look for Aquaman complete with long, grimy hair and detachable scythe--the best Aquaman in my opinion.

Keep that thought in mind about my age. If you fervently read my profile text (It's very educational!), you'll know that I hate being asked of it. I despise profiling on any level from anybody anywhere. And I will always remain an Avengers fan, regardless of how bad you might think it's been over the years. Unlike you, I won't incessantly whine, pressure, and chagrin you into buying (or not) said book just as you are with me regarding the post-OMD Spidey and Pew 52 books (save for Green Lantern starring new Muslim GL Simon Baz).

I was just asking people to be polite. We can talk about things without name calling like Shitbox, Nu52, or Pew 52. I'm one of the few people that still believe the internet can be a civilized place.

* This Spidey has matured with Ock being in control. I'm sorry that you are mad about the whole One More Day and Brand New Day stuff. This Spidey is a different kind of Spidey that starts to actually do stuff that I'm sure many people have been like "Its about dang time."

*No I have not. Again I've been reading comics the past 2 years but I have done some research on previous incarnations of the characters and hell that particular Aquaman was in JL and JLU when I watched those as a kid so he is my favorite as well.

And I did read your profile text. When I made that last post I wasn't able to so I apologize about the age. Honestly so please try not to be too pissed with me and how bad its been? Didn't know it had that particular label in recent years and I'm sorry I tried to broaden your horizons a bit. In all honesty though I wasn't trying to pressure your or whine you into buying some titles that I think are good. I was just giving an honest opinion and when I think something has gotten an unfair and bad rep for some ludicrous reason I try to let people give it a shot and not simply have them write it off because of something stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff