Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Conversationalist

As the title says, any one a fan of Hank Pym? I'd prefer to keep haters who think he's a wife beater out. I love Hank and think he needs way more love than he actually gets. Especially considering his life is just one big crap storm.

So, who loves Hank Pym?

I like Pym, but it's unrealistic to ask the haters to not show up. Pym has become toxic because most writers don't know what to do with him, fail to do research, an opt to take the easy route and bring up one really bad piece of history, or rewriting to to make it seem like Pym was always a wife beater. I actually get really sick of hearing about when he lost it while being Yellowjacket. I can name numerous insanities from popular characters from Parker beating pregnant Mary-Jane to Stark's abusive relationship with his armor, but you'll never hear about that.

Honestly, Shooter should have that regret over what happened. Because now its a piece of history that is rehashed constantly. You know, I think its about time Pym and Herc had a talk about things they regret, get incredibly drunk and wake up on some unknown island and have adventures trying to figure out exactly where they are. I think using Pym in serious stories is hurting him more in the long run. I think that with a lot of characters, but if Pym is to get on his feet he needs to be fun to read about. Or he needs to launch a counter-attack on Arcade. I'd rather him be doing something than nothing.

Anxious Explorer

I like Pym, although the meat of my knowledge comes from the cartoon Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'm working my way up to buying a copy of the The Trial of Yellowjacket, though, and maybe Ant-Man and Wasp.

Cesihl's Prince

Supreme Hero

27,100 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
But...There is no THINKING he's a wife beater. He WAS a wife beater.

But I do enjoy me some Hank Pym.

Cesihl's Prince

Supreme Hero

27,100 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
ydoubother
I like Pym, but it's unrealistic to ask the haters to not show up. Pym has become toxic because most writers don't know what to do with him, fail to do research, an opt to take the easy route and bring up one really bad piece of history, or rewriting to to make it seem like Pym was always a wife beater. I actually get really sick of hearing about when he lost it while being Yellowjacket. I can name numerous insanities from popular characters from Parker beating pregnant Mary-Jane to Stark's abusive relationship with his armor, but you'll never hear about that.

Honestly, Shooter should have that regret over what happened. Because now its a piece of history that is rehashed constantly. You know, I think its about time Pym and Herc had a talk about things they regret, get incredibly drunk and wake up on some unknown island and have adventures trying to figure out exactly where they are. I think using Pym in serious stories is hurting him more in the long run. I think that with a lot of characters, but if Pym is to get on his feet he needs to be fun to read about. Or he needs to launch a counter-attack on Arcade. I'd rather him be doing something than nothing.

I agree with you that it's over played but at the time it was a ground breaking subject in media. Spouse abuse was a taboo in the 60's and wasn't widely discussed like it is now.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
I like Hank Pym a lot. I've only read him in Avengers Academy, but he seemed like a pretty cool guy. He's also a science genius hero, which is an archetype I'm a big fan of. Finally, he's a fellow atheist, which is automatic bonus points for me. Not a lot of those running around in comics.

As I said, though, I haven't read as much of him as I'd like to. Any recommendations?

Anxious Scrounger

Sorry for butting in days later.

I like the idea of Hank Pym as a scientist hero with fragile ego. He is very interesting and complex, but I'm embarrassed to say I'm a fan or defend him the same way I'm embarrassed to say Spiderman can be interesting with the whole One More Day overshadowing everything he's ever done now. That is the problem with Marvel heroes though they can't live anything down where as DC heroes can just reboot their sins away. Ask Batman and his Papa Spank moment towards Catwoman or all the times Star Sapphire tried to force Green Lantern into being her mate against his will or murdering his best friend. All good now with a few retcons and rewrites.

This is one of those subjects I hate debating because it's a complex issue and those who have made up there minds don't care about the the character to be swayed and I'd be rehashing everything anyone else has already discussed before. There's the same arguments that Janet got hers for marrying Hank while he was under duress while others say that's no excuse and punching a woman is always bad. Then there's other things to consider, does one punch to the wife under the context of mental duress turn into 'he was always a constant wife-beating scum' kind of argument. It takes one kill to be a murderer. One grab, smack, punch, etc. turns you into a life long spouse beater as far as others are concerned.

This guy I know in real life (who doesn't read comics, but knows about it secondhand) trolls his friends on the whole "Hank Pym is wife-beater" so much that it's become a sick joke. One time his friends wanted to go dress up as The Avengers at the convention and he said 'I'll dress as Ant-Man so long as I have a Wasp cos-player to punch." I don't think this idiot realizes that he's dismissing spousal abuse as a joke. He thinks picking on a fictional character who punched his wife is funny and he doesn't realize it because he thinks he's one of those defenders against spousal abuse. You don't defend the abused by laughing at the tormenters actions against them. That's the sick part about all this. If people like this guy who doesn't read comics, but knows Hank Pym and what he did are around, why would Marvel risk a movie about him let alone put him in a tv show for kids to fall in love with only for their fan-favorite to be shattered when they read the comics? Then again I had a crush on Catwoman as a kid from the various TV shows, movies and merchandise, but once I read Batman: Year One that turned me off of her for many years. So one bad impression can do a lot.

As for Hank Pym if none of you have seen this give it a read. What could have been:

Jim Shooter did not intend for Hank Pym to punch Janet Van Dyne in Avengers #213

Anyway Hank Pym had potential until this story derailed him for years. Plus he's a pioneer. Although it's common place now he was one of the first mentally disturbed heroes. I'm probably overlooking someone earlier and if anyone knows point it out.

Dangerous Genius

Nope I don't see any fans around here...

Dangerous Genius

The Cometeer
Sorry for butting in days later.

I like the idea of Hank Pym as a scientist hero with fragile ego. He is very interesting and complex, but I'm embarrassed to say I'm a fan or defend him the same way I'm embarrassed to say Spiderman can be interesting with the whole One More Day overshadowing everything he's ever done now. That is the problem with Marvel heroes though they can't live anything down where as DC heroes can just reboot their sins away. Ask Batman and his Papa Spank moment towards Catwoman or all the times Star Sapphire tried to force Green Lantern into being her mate against his will or murdering his best friend. All good now with a few retcons and rewrites.

This is one of those subjects I hate debating because it's a complex issue and those who have made up there minds don't care about the the character to be swayed and I'd be rehashing everything anyone else has already discussed before. There's the same arguments that Janet got hers for marrying Hank while he was under duress while others say that's no excuse and punching a woman is always bad. Then there's other things to consider, does one punch to the wife under the context of mental duress turn into 'he was always a constant wife-beating scum' kind of argument. It takes one kill to be a murderer. One grab, smack, punch, etc. turns you into a life long spouse beater as far as others are concerned.

This guy I know in real life (who doesn't read comics, but knows about it secondhand) trolls his friends on the whole "Hank Pym is wife-beater" so much that it's become a sick joke. One time his friends wanted to go dress up as The Avengers at the convention and he said 'I'll dress as Ant-Man so long as I have a Wasp cos-player to punch." I don't think this idiot realizes that he's dismissing spousal abuse as a joke. He thinks picking on a fictional character who punched his wife is funny and he doesn't realize it because he thinks he's one of those defenders against spousal abuse. You don't defend the abused by laughing at the tormenters actions against them. That's the sick part about all this. If people like this guy who doesn't read comics, but knows Hank Pym and what he did are around, why would Marvel risk a movie about him let alone put him in a tv show for kids to fall in love with only for their fan-favorite to be shattered when they read the comics? Then again I had a crush on Catwoman as a kid from the various TV shows, movies and merchandise, but once I read Batman: Year One that turned me off of her for many years. So one bad impression can do a lot.

As for Hank Pym if none of you have seen this give it a read. What could have been:

Jim Shooter did not intend for Hank Pym to punch Janet Van Dyne in Avengers #213

Anyway Hank Pym had potential until this story derailed him for years. Plus he's a pioneer. Although it's common place now he was one of the first mentally disturbed heroes. I'm probably overlooking someone earlier and if anyone knows point it out.

Not only was he under duress but during that time was suffering from a number of mental disorders as well. The main reason that Pym is by far my favorite character is the fact that he is consistently paying for his past mistakes, and still never gives up. He needs guidance from time to time but that gives on of the founding Avengers, and arguably one of the most powerful Avengers a more human quality with him dealing with angst 24/7.
I haven't read that much with him in and to be honest a lot of my info comes from things I've read online, a few comics that happened to have him in that I bought for other reasons and I've recently finished the run of Age Of Ultron with him in. I don't hate him by any means and I am a fan, he'll never be my favourite character but he is up there in the top 10 at least. I do wish this whole 'wife beater' thing wasn't one of the few things he's known for (terrible as abusing anyone is), he does a lot of good and cool stuff that no one seems to notice much!

Steadfast Protector

Hank, actually, had hit Janet twice in that issue-
once off-camera, and once which everyone talks about,
in front of the Avengers.

TECHNICALLY, that made him a wife-beater. (Past tense.)
He spent MANY years dealing with that,
and eventually had therapy (with Jonathan Fremont, which surprised us all)
and laid his inner demons to rest.
After that, he was decently adjusted-
but the danger of psych problems due to assuming giant-size still existed.

Still, Hank Pym exists as a testament to RECOVERY, to putting one's life
back together and making amends for one's mistakes.
Even HIDEOUS mistakes.

Shameless Sweetheart

11,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • The Perfect Setup 150
The new Avengers AI book has Pym in it in a staring role. The first issue is pretty good, and I hope it stays good.

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Roth Keahi
The new Avengers AI book has Pym in it in a staring role. The first issue is pretty good, and I hope it stays good.

I also recommend reading the Age of Ultron sequence that just wrapped up.

Also, I am anticipating the Ant-Man movie for Phase 3.

I personally haven't dived into the psyche of Hank Pym that much but from what I have read he is a good character for Marvel since he is a super genius and is very flawed by being a nutjob/ past wife beater.

Shameless Sweetheart

11,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Leader of the Penguins
I also recommend reading the Age of Ultron sequence that just wrapped up.

Also, I am anticipating the Ant-Man movie for Phase 3.

I personally haven't dived into the psyche of Hank Pym that much but from what I have read he is a good character for Marvel since he is a super genius and is very flawed by being a nutjob/ past wife beater.

Are they going with Pym for the movie? For some reason i thought they were going with Scott Lang.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff