Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you mean the proper formatting for comic writing and that jazz, no, I don't think there is, although to my knowledge it's handled similarly to a script. Secondly, the "guide for beginner mangaka" thread has all its most important content in the first post -- the rest is idle chatter, though some of it can be useful too, possibly.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
it is. neil gaiman included a sample in one of his sandman books. its just a script, with detailed description of the images that need to be shown.

of course, that's just the easiest format to write in. do you mean something beyond the technical?
megrar
it is. neil gaiman included a sample in one of his sandman books. its just a script, with detailed description of the images that need to be shown.

of course, that's just the easiest format to write in. do you mean something beyond the technical?

I think we have a bit of drift here. The question is not "what is the format of writing for comics" - it's "do we have a thread in this part of the forum about the process [whatever that means] of writing for comics" (along with the corollary question "should such a thread be created" wink ...
stop_him

You rule.

domokun
Stop Him
megrar

I think we have a bit of drift here. The question is not "what is the format of writing for comics" - it's "do we have a thread in this part of the forum about the process [whatever that means] of writing for comics" (along with the corollary question "should such a thread be created" wink ...

http://www.jameshudnall.com/toc.htm

Possibely the most in-depth writing tutorial/tips I've ever read. While most of the things he says can be true to writing in general, he does make everything specific towards writing for comics (be it books, or strips he uses examples for both)

But whether or not a thread should be created is another story...you can just refer people to this if you like.

Dapper Hunter

Sorry, I stumbled into this section of the forum and after six pages of "Ideas!" "Read my ideas!" "Give me Ideas!" it was a more-than-welcome change to see this.

Although this is a noble effort, the first six pages are still cluttered with "Idea! Idea! Idea!" topics. The newbies will never learn, will they?

Stop Him, thank you very much. I fell under a stupor of depression when I stumbled in here and now I will walk out floating and understood. (Did that make even a bit of vague sense?)

Perhaps this should be a guild. 3nodding
*Has only read the first post*

... I think I love you Stop Him.

In a purely heterosexual way of course.
Quote:
Not all of them are great ideas.

heh..I know how dat is....I must disagree with you about your opinion. Some folks prefer if other people gave them "some" ideas, not like a complete five pager kind of idea. Just something that will spark them. Sometimes When I'm just totally blank and out I look forward to my friends to just enlighten me. Even if it's just something tiny...like a gerbil or a candle I get sparks from those simple suggestions...and if that doesn't work I tell 'em to hit me....yeah....hit me.........

Dapper Hunter

New children, read this topic. It will do you good in the long run. 3nodding

In other words, this is a desperate attempt to keep this at the top of the forum section. 3nodding
Mmm... glad someone can finally speak up. Great job, Stop Him, and very well peiced together. Ciao.
Holy crap, this thing has been revived?

death_of_a_sketch_book
heh..I know how dat is....I must disagree with you about your opinion. Some folks prefer if other people gave them "some" ideas, not like a complete five pager kind of idea. Just something that will spark them. Sometimes When I'm just totally blank and out I look forward to my friends to just enlighten me. Even if it's just something tiny...like a gerbil or a candle I get sparks from those simple suggestions...and if that doesn't work I tell 'em to hit me....yeah....hit me.........

You know, really, it doesn't make too much difference to me if you ask for tiny bits of inspiration from time to time - so long as you acknowledge that you really aren't ready for the big time, in a professional sense, if you have to ask for inspiration just to start something. It's one thing to do it if you're just screwing around as some kid in school who doesn't have anything else to do.

However, if you're one of those people who thinks they're going to "be a mangaka" and crank out a bunch of comics and get all famous and popular, then I have to advise you that if you want anyone to take you seriously, you should do your best to avoid relying on your buddies for ideas. If you try to make it on a professional level, what happens when you're stuck for an idea and your buddies aren't around to feed you something?

What's more, what happens if you do get an idea from one of your friends and then you do make it big - and then your friend wants you to pay them for the idea? Just makes things complicated.
About the constraints thing.

It's an excellent idea, and possibly the only thing that can get me to complete a project. Not storyline constraints, necessarily (although it can be, if I work with somebody else's short story), but technical constraints. Type of materials I use, or layout constraints!
As example, for that one project I managed to finish a week before deadline (woohoo!) I had my rule of three rows per page, up to 3 panels a row, no straight lines in ink, all shading crosshatched.
Worked like a charm.

Although it doesn't directly relate to the 'ideas' topic of this thread...

I find the whole 'give me an idea omg!!!!11one!' thing rather ridiculous. If you can't even come up with a proper concept, how can you hope to develop decent characters and a storyline without plot holes so huge even Hollywood would faint?
Stop Him
GET YOUR OWN IDEAS.

Rar.
Rar indeed. surprised

I don't really like the fact that people *demand* ideas from other people, but I do think that brainstorming with already formulated concepts is a good idea and should be encouraged. =/ As long as credit is given where needed...

Since a lot of people just want the praise and "coolness" status that comes with having a popular webcomic/independent comic, they are eager to jump on the bandwagon without actually having any sorts of ideas... sweatdrop

I'd say my problem's the opposite. I have tons and tons of ideas always filling my brain to the point where it feels like it's going to explode, but I'm usually too damn lazy to work on all of them at once. Or too busy. Screw my lousy work ethic and procrastination. e_e

I have trouble prioritizing too. I'd rather just work on my own ideas than help other people unless I really happen to like a person.
Quote:
"do we have a thread in this part of the forum about the process [whatever that means] of writing for comics" (along with the corollary question "should such a thread be created" wink ...

The only problem I see in that is that there is no one definitive process. Processes vary from genre to genre, person to person, and etc... I guess with that said, for it to be really effective, it would need to illustrate the processes of a variety of artists.....at least in my opinion.
I agree with you there! If you cannot come up with an idea don't ask others! How will you really feel for your charcters if you didn't fall in love with the idea you made? When i write stories or scripts or manga i have to get my head into the characters throught the idea I created. I think if you ask others for ideas then you don't really know what you're doing.

If you need ideas listen to music, look at artwork, remember dreams you really thought were interesting and ellaborate on them! Well....I'm done with my rambling now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff