Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey there artist forum!
I have a query for you.

I have an opportunity to get some great exposure for a comic I am going to be doing. However, the comic won't be entirely finished by that time, as it is going to be an ongoing project of mine.

I am wondering what would be appropriate for a teaser page to get people interested.

Please note that this comic will have a female protagonist, and is based in a High Fantasy, Medieval setting.

Here are my ideas;
1) A picture of said protagonist in full armour, with speech bubbles around it highlighting some of the more exciting points of the story. With an ominous, and battle ready background (Mist, fire, broken buildings, dripping sword and what not)

2) A standalone comic page that depicts someone who knows the protagonist, and her story, beginning to tell the points that he knows to people. With something along the lines of 'You call that a tale? Let me tell you something you wouldn't even dream could happen'

3) I am open to suggestions!

Hilarious Genius

3,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
I kinda think that both versions are kind of an overkill. It´s too soon to tell the full story and too much text or spoilers destroys the mood. Why not keep it simple?

I do not know your story but as a potential reader something like this wold definitely catch my eye:

A picture of your protagonist in full armor, battleworn (possible slightly bloody) on a battle field with a determined look on her face. Perspective and mood is also important, it would be great to see her from above (making her look up) or below (making her look down) with a writing "Let me tell you her story".

This does not bore the potential reader with too much text nor does it tell too much. You just know something happened there and you would like to know what it was and how it came to be. wink

Just some ideas how I would do that.
Canary-sama
I kinda think that both versions are kind of an overkill. It´s too soon to tell the full story and too much text or spoilers destroys the mood. Why not keep it simple?

I do not know your story but as a potential reader something like this wold definitely catch my eye:

A picture of your protagonist in full armor, battleworn (possible slightly bloody) on a battle field with a determined look on her face. Perspective and mood is also important, it would be great to see her from above (making her look up) or below (making her look down) with a writing "Let me tell you her story".

This does not bore the potential reader with too much text nor does it tell too much. You just know something happened there and you would like to know what it was and how it came to be. wink

Just some ideas how I would do that.

Hmm.
I like that idea as well.

Thank you for the input.

Would it be just effective to show her sitting upon a throne, battle worn, in full armour that is full of dings and scratches, victorious, yet slightly evil expression on her face with a little text underneath.

Following your example, the Text could be, "Let me tell you a story" or even just the word "Curious?"

How about that?

Hilarious Genius

3,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Sounds good. It would be great, if you use dramatic lighting. For example, dark long shadows, the type you get at sunset. That way you also can have a shadow cast over her eyes and nothing makes someone look more evil than gleaming eyes from shadows. biggrin

If you decide to color it, red(dish) colours would work great!

Hilarious Genius

3,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
By the way, I think that "Curious?" alone is a bit too little information. wink But you could try to think of some slogan you can use to hint on your story. You know, like "The sunrise of a new Empire" or something.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
How much action is your comic going to have?

I feel like it might be better to put your character in a more active pose. I can't think of that many "characters sitting there staring at the audience" images that have made me go "TELL ME THERE IS MORE." Well, it's not impossible, but I'd probably be more excited by her in the process of getting one of those dings in her armor.

What do you think is the most unique/important aspect of your comic? I mean, there are enough high fantasy stories in medieval settings to make me want to puke. What do you think your story has that no one else has or is better than someone else? Whatever it is, show that.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Eh, I dunno... generally, I always think teaser pages should be like posters, with visuals telling the story and getting the reader interested that way, but... what do I know? The most I've seen of actual teasers has been a one-page comic for Hellboy.

So I'm leaning for #2.

Invisible Gaian

10,175 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
With teasers, I find the best goal is often not to explain/summarise/prepare the reader for the story, but to literally tease them. Pose a question with an image or selection of images and words, and leave the reader thinking 'What's that all about?' and wanting to find out more.

Is there an exciting or mysterious scene in your comic that you could do a kind of teaser illustration for? Perhaps have your protagonist facing down an enemy who is obscured and only suggested, or nursing some mysterious object which has importance the reader can only guess at, or staring out over a catastrophic scene that leads the reader to question how things got that way etc. etc.

Comic covers are good for this, in fairness. They often 'tease' a scene or set-up within the pages, sometimes not even with strict accuracy but just to capture mood and concept or convince the reader how much danger and distress the protagonist is going to be in. That in itself is usually a pretty compelling teaser.
Hmm...All these sound like really good ideas.
Thanks! I will take these into consideration when I make the teaser!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff