Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey CC! I just finished a short comic project and wanted to know what you think.

It starts here

A little background information: “Snarlbear” is a comic concept I’ve been thinking about for a while that I decided to do an “issue” of (rather than just jumping into the overarching plot/character origins) as a stand-alone piece for practice, fun and something to show people when I say “I make comics”.

Basically, it is a girly romance story about beating up monsters and taking their stuff in a brightly colored magical monster world.

Enjoy!
This is super-cute and very well-done and deserves a lot more attention than this.

I think I remember your comics from when you first posted the one with the princess rescuing a prince. Holy s**t, you've improved a ton since then and you had a really good beginning, to boot.
- Sometimes it's hard to tell what's going on in the drawings.
- I don't like the presentation. Having to click on each page link individually kind of broke up the flow of the comic for me.
- I think the "brightly-colored magical world" aspect would have been portrayed more effectively if more of the comic was in color. The one colored page that we got was really nice and so was the cover. After seeing those, I kinda felt like I was missing out when everything switched to black and white. :<
- The ending was really epic. I really like the idea of beating the monster through dance.
Zee Coldwater

Woah thanks! I can't believe people still remember those.

eclectic rhapsody
- Sometimes it's hard to tell what's going on in the drawings.

Can you identify a few weak spots for me please? Or is it just an overall thing?

Quote:
- I don't like the presentation. Having to click on each page link individually kind of broke up the flow of the comic for me.
- I think the "brightly-colored magical world" aspect would have been portrayed more effectively if more of the comic was in color. The one colored page that we got was really nice and so was the cover. After seeing those, I kinda felt like I was missing out when everything switched to black and white. :<

Actually, the reason they are in black and white is because I wanted to get a handful of copies printed before I got back to school. Excuses, excuses, I know, but it looks nice in an actual, physical copy.

I have plans to go back and color the rest of the pages, but I may end up just jumping into the full comic instead (which should be in color). It really depends on how much free time I have on my hands this semester/how much pre-planning/scripting I want to do.

Do you think I should set up a smackjeeves account for this or something?

Quote:
- The ending was really epic. I really like the idea of beating the monster through dance.

Yeah! I thought it was equal parts silly and sweet, and it fits the feel I want for the story (although it will get darker in some spaces, definitely).
Gearfish

Woah thanks! I can't believe people still remember those.

Violet Epic, right? I feel like it was a really easy to remember comic (personally). :U

Gearfish

Can you identify a few weak spots for me please? Or is it just an overall thing?

Panel one of page eleven really got me. Overall, it can be kind of hard to tell objects apart when the tones of gray between them are really similar and when objects in the foreground and the background are drawn with very similar styles/weights of line. The foreground/background relationship of objects also comes into question when there are tangents thrown into the mix. The guy's sleeve left) and his fingers (right) in panel one of page ten kind of mess up the dimensionality of the space they're in. The last panel of that same page works really well because the placement of the objects is very clear.

Gearfish

Actually, the reason they are in black and white is because I wanted to get a handful of copies printed before I got back to school. Excuses, excuses, I know, but it looks nice in an actual, physical copy.

That's good.

Gearfish

Do you think I should set up a smackjeeves account for this or something?

I think you should...follow your heart. But uploading it to Jeeves or something similar would make navigating easier.

Quote:
Yeah! I thought it was equal parts silly and sweet, and it fits the feel I want for the story (although it will get darker in some spaces, definitely).

Well, I would like to see what you do with this going forward.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff