Welcome to Gaia! ::

CLICK TO READ COMIC
User Image

This is a request for critique for my recent webcomic, Ru. The first chapter is now up, and I thought it would be a good time to ask my fellow gaians for some feedback. I'm looking really for anything you have to say about the art, writing, paneling, fonts, website, etc. I'm currently working on chapter two, and would love to keep pushing my work to be the best it can. Don't be afraid to point out things that might seem naggy, or be upfront about things. I generally have a thick skin and can handle tough feedback. emotion_dowant

Here's the description of the comic:
Quote:
The Siel solar system is at war, a bloody battle rages across the planets for natural resources. Seeking a new life, refugees left Siel for the stars, and eventually found the planet Elealeh. The planet, inhabited by a strange people, accepted the refugees into their fast-paced society. This story follows an Elealehian named Ru, who found herself in love with a Sielian refugee and her life forever changed by him and his family.

Ru is a story about unlikely love, loyalty, sacrifice, and war amidst the stars.

This comic is PG-13. It contains language, nudity and violence suited for an audience 13 and up.

//Updates Mon & Fri //

If you have a comic you would like reviewed in turn, I'd be happy to trade critique! Be sure to post a link here and I'll try my best.

Thanks in advance!

Dedicated Hunter

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Wow! The illustration work is amazing! heart Did you do the artwork yourself? The story is very well thought out. Congrats. =D 3nodding

Shadowy Phantom

I find the text hard to read. It's a bit difficult for me even when it's large, but it's nearly illegible when it's small in some of the earlier pages.

The art looks lovely, but I just can't read the comic because of the dialogue font you're using ;_;
Kyousouka
I find the text hard to read. It's a bit difficult for me even when it's large, but it's nearly illegible when it's small in some of the earlier pages.

The art looks lovely, but I just can't read the comic because of the dialogue font you're using ;_;

It was pointed out to me that the text was hard to read by someone else as well! I went ahead and enlarged all the pages to make things more legible! smile
I'll look into clarifying the font as well. It's a font made out of my own handwriting, so there's some kerning issues and other things that need to be dealt with. Thanks for your help! emotion_hug
Cyana_Blackwood
Wow! The illustration work is amazing! heart Did you do the artwork yourself? The story is very well thought out. Congrats. =D 3nodding

Everything is done by myself from script to art! The plot is kind of based off an ancient story (sort of like lion king is based off hamlet) but everything else is plotted out by me to fit the genre and characters.
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. heart

Shadowy Phantom

anna_cracker
Kyousouka

It was pointed out to me that the text was hard to read by someone else as well! I went ahead and enlarged all the pages to make things more legible! smile
I'll look into clarifying the font as well. It's a font made out of my own handwriting, so there's some kerning issues and other things that need to be dealt with. Thanks for your help! emotion_hug

I hope you'll fix the font. Even large, it's unpleasant to read.
The kerning is definitely an issue, but I think some of the letter forms are problematic as well. Some of the horizontal strokes are so curved that they don't immediately read correctly. Reading the font takes effort, which is a no-no, especially in a comic.

Have you ever lettered a comic by hand? If you haven't, I recommend giving it a try. Even though you might find it too time-consuming to do for the rest of the project, I think it'll help you see what changes you need to make to your letters to make them easier to read. When I make my handwriting fonts, I usually start out by lettering a few sample comic pages to see how it all looks in context.
Kyousouka
anna_cracker
Kyousouka

I hope you'll fix the font. Even large, it's unpleasant to read.
The kerning is definitely an issue, but I think some of the letter forms are problematic as well. Some of the horizontal strokes are so curved that they don't immediately read correctly. Reading the font takes effort, which is a no-no, especially in a comic.

Have you ever lettered a comic by hand? If you haven't, I recommend giving it a try. Even though you might find it too time-consuming to do for the rest of the project, I think it'll help you see what changes you need to make to your letters to make them easier to read. When I make my handwriting fonts, I usually start out by lettering a few sample comic pages to see how it all looks in context.

Thanks! I'll make sure to put a little bit more work into my font, or find a good replacement. smile
This is really awesome, I love how everything flows together in the storyboard and the dialogue. Also, really nice artwork!

Great job! smile
Aspen25
This is really awesome, I love how everything flows together in the storyboard and the dialogue. Also, really nice artwork!

Great job! smile

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas