Welcome to Gaia! ::

UPDATE: Altar Girl is running our FIRST EVER KICKSTARTER --- We still need funding and I just announced some AWESOME stretch goals!!

Click here to see 3 NEW PIN DESIGNS, and a NEW BOOKMARK DESIGN for EVERYONE who pledges for a copy of the BOOK!!

Click here to start reading Altar Girl!

Hi there! My name is Kata. I wanted to tell you about my shoujo-style manga webcomic, Altar Girl:

Catholic school-girl Ashley Altars has a major crush on one of the most popular boys in school. She also unwittingly holds one of the two keys to Heaven and Earth. To make matters worse, the owner of the other key is a guy who has been dead since the late 1920s. But not to worry: Seth Charming has been brought to the present day by the twin angels Sera and Cherry so he can use his second chance at life to help Ashley with her unrequited love. Angels and demons are fighting for both of their keys, but Ashley's got to deal with bullies, exams, and trying to get the handsome Adam Evenine to actually notice her. Life is tough for the Altar Girl.

If you like it, please let me know! We're currently halfway through Chapter 2, so there's already about 30 pages online. I'd really love to hear from you on Facebook or Tumblr too!

I actually used to draw it a long time ago and recently re-booted it since my art style has improved since back then! I haven't been on Gaia in awhile (my avatar looks totally whacky now, haha... must go SHOP!) but I thought it would be fun to come back here and see what other webcomic artists are up to too!

Thanks a lot for checking Altar Girl out! heart

Like Altar Girl on Facebook | Follow Altar Girl on Tumblr | Vote for Altar Girl on TWC100

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
It's interesting. The proportions are off, some girls look pregger and a little too short.

But the story line is good!
I don't really care for you telling me everything about her. It wasn't bad per se, you made it humorous, but still.

As stated above the proportions are off.

Other than that is was fairly good.
nightshade259
I don't really care for you telling me everything about her. It wasn't bad per se, you made it humorous, but still.

As stated above the proportions are off.

Other than that is was fairly good.

Well, you really don't know every thing about her! What was told up front was important to know going forward in the story. I hope you'll keep reading and find out what you don't know! smile

Thanks again for reading.
Snowblazer
It's interesting. The proportions are off, some girls look pregger and a little too short.

But the story line is good!

Well, one of the girls (Emi) is shorter than the other (Ashley), so that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Ashley is about a foot shorter than Seth, and she is around half a foot shorter than Adam too. Where was the height throwing you off during your read?

Hope you keep reading! Thanks for checking it out.
This is a super slow forum, so there is no need to worry about falling off the first page for quite awhile!

What kind of feedback are you most looking for? What areas would you like to have focused on?
Zeo
This is a super slow forum, so there is no need to worry about falling off the first page for quite awhile!

What kind of feedback are you most looking for? What areas would you like to have focused on?

Hi there! Really, just looking for any general feedback and discussion. I was hoping to get the word out and respond to any questions or comments people had.

We're currently voting on Halloween costumes for some of the characters at the Altar Girl Facebook page, and tomorrow (Friday Oct 19) is the last day to vote, if anyone is interested!
If you guys are interested, the Halloween contest ended and the winning costumes were "90's Cartoons." Check the drawing out on the AG Facebook page or AG Tumblr!
Hey guys! If you have any questions or comments about the comic, please feel free to ask me smile I'm currently working on the next 5 pages. I also did some character profile updates since last I posted on here!

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Really cute so far, I like it! A lot of the figure drawing is off, as was already mentioned. Your environments are very good though, I can tell you don't skimp on the perspective and details.
Sera Michaelis
Really cute so far, I like it! A lot of the figure drawing is off, as was already mentioned. Your environments are very good though, I can tell you don't skimp on the perspective and details.

Thanks for your comments! I'm wondering, since this thread is the only place I'm hearing this (but not really anything beyond "it's off" ) could you (or anyone) elaborate on where it's most distracting to you as you read? It's it the body shapes, the face? I guess by figure you mean body proportions? Like is it really throughout or are there just certain panels that look off? I want to avoid things like that in the future if it really is distracting to a lot of readers!

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment, and hope to improve through the feedback from you guys!

Thanks smile

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kataliana
Thanks for your comments! I'm wondering, since this thread is the only place I'm hearing this (but not really anything beyond "it's off" ) could you (or anyone) elaborate on where it's most distracting to you as you read? It's it the body shapes, the face? I guess by figure you mean body proportions? Like is it really throughout or are there just certain panels that look off? I want to avoid things like that in the future if it really is distracting to a lot of readers!

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment, and hope to improve through the feedback from you guys!

Thanks smile

I'm not so good at explaining this stuff in words alone, so I did a blue-line of errors I saw that seem to be a trend within your drawings, I hope you don't mind. After accounting for your style and shortened proportions, it still appears that joints don't connect, some limbs are too short or not in proportion with the torsos, or the figure otherwise looks awkward.

Sorry about my ugly handwriting.
Sera Michaelis
Kataliana

Thanks smile

I'm not so good at explaining this stuff in words alone, so I did a blue-line of errors I saw that seem to be a trend within your drawings, I hope you don't mind. After accounting for your style and shortened proportions, it still appears that joints don't connect, some limbs are too short or not in proportion with the torsos, or the figure otherwise looks awkward.

Sorry about my ugly handwriting.

This is extremely helpful! Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I have a visual way of learning too, so this really helps more than words could. Thank you so much for your detailed feedback (and your handwriting totally isn't ugly, it is perfectly legible and awesome). biggrin

I haven't taken a life drawing course in over 5 years so I am definitely out of practice in those areas! Seeing your interpretation makes me realize though it seems insignificant to me, it is noticeable to others. There is a mesh between real/exaggerated proportions (idealistic vs realistic styles), so I will do my best to get back to the basics. smile

P.S. You totally called me out on Cherry's butt, lol, the panel placement was to avoid addressing that! Otherwise I did like that drawing in general :3
My favorite webcomic by far!!! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces