Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Hunter

So, basically, I'm working on writing a limited-issue comic book synopsis for a writing submission.

But, I'm running into a problem that may be rather unique (or, at least, I have no clue on how I'd begin to google the answer). A lot of the concept of my comic hinges on visual cues to make sense of different events.

It's a comic, I guess pretty strongly inspired by Rashomon, centered around an interrogation of four witnesses/suspects in a crime. Because the unreliability of memory, the manner in which pre-existing bias shapes someone's perceptions, and the fact that "the" truth doesn't exist, are the major thematic elements, I would want the appearance of the characters to change, if only slightly, to reflect how the narrator of that section of the story perceives each character. (And I'm not entirely sure I explained that properly, so, if anyone's confused, let me know.)

Additionally, I can see the comic being produced in different levels of color (b&w, limited color, full color) depending on whether what the viewer is seeing is: reality (as much as reality can be perceived when POV is taken into consideration), what the character is telling someone else, and is therefore unreliable, or what is merely fantasy/hallucination/contained in the character's head and left unspoken.

Do elements such as this have any place in a synopsis? If that's not where it belongs, where would I put it? Coming from a screenwriting background, where the collaborative nature of the beast means a writer doesn't make those decisions, do I even have any right to include that sort of artistic direction in my submission?

Any help in this tricky situation, or, even, examples of comics where something similar to this has been done before, would be awesome!

If it helps, I'm working off of Dark Horse's Submission Guidelines.

Dapper Streaker

schmeddyhead
So, basically, I'm working on writing a limited-issue comic book synopsis for a writing submission.

But, I'm running into a problem that may be rather unique (or, at least, I have no clue on how I'd begin to google the answer). A lot of the concept of my comic hinges on visual cues to make sense of different events.

It's a comic, I guess pretty strongly inspired by Rashomon, centered around an interrogation of four witnesses/suspects in a crime. Because the unreliability of memory, the manner in which pre-existing bias shapes someone's perceptions, and the fact that "the" truth doesn't exist, are the major thematic elements, I would want the appearance of the characters to change, if only slightly, to reflect how the narrator of that section of the story perceives each character. (And I'm not entirely sure I explained that properly, so, if anyone's confused, let me know.)

Additionally, I can see the comic being produced in different levels of color (b&w, limited color, full color) depending on whether what the viewer is seeing is: reality (as much as reality can be perceived when POV is taken into consideration), what the character is telling someone else, and is therefore unreliable, or what is merely fantasy/hallucination/contained in the character's head and left unspoken.

Do elements such as this have any place in a synopsis? If that's not where it belongs, where would I put it? Coming from a screenwriting background, where the collaborative nature of the beast means a writer doesn't make those decisions, do I even have any right to include that sort of artistic direction in my submission?

Any help in this tricky situation, or, even, examples of comics where something similar to this has been done before, would be awesome!

If it helps, I'm working off of Dark Horse's Submission Guidelines.

Hey, I've written a few comic synopsis before. The most important part (and I know Dark Horse stresses this) is to KEEP IT TO ONE PAGE. They will literally throw away anything more.
As far as content goes, talk about main story arcs, don't worry about details or even detailing out the characters. They want to know about the STORY and how it ends. Too many people leave out the ending in their synopsis, and it's necessary for the publisher to know that. YOu can mention the POV and the fact that you have and idea on how to portray it, but that is more of an issue between you and the artist and not affecting the STORY itself.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces