Welcome to Gaia! ::

In a relationship with amazixxe

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,450 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
Anyone on here make their own character, based on the books/movies/manga/comics they read? If so, and you want to talk about made up characters maybe swap ideas for other characters, message me.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
My brain's a bit ******** up, so I need to ask for clarification.

Are you talking about an OC in a fanfic, or an expy of a previously-established character? Because that's not exactly making up your own character, is it? It's just taking a previous character, scraping off the character's old name, and pasting a new name over it.
Xiam

Are you talking about an OC in a fanfic, or an expy of a previously-established character? Because that's not exactly making up your own character, is it? It's just taking a previous character, scraping off the character's old name, and pasting a new name over it.

theres a word for it: plagiarizing...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Hurbadachurba
Xiam

Well, maybe. There are a lot of characters out there that are practically clones of other characters and nobody really says a thing.

But it is preferred, yes, to make up your own character from scratch unless you intend it to be a parody or an homage. In which case you'd better be damn good at it.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Xiam
Hurbadachurba
Xiam

Well, maybe. There are a lot of characters out there that are practically clones of other characters and nobody really says a thing.

But it is preferred, yes, to make up your own character from scratch unless you intend it to be a parody or an homage. In which case you'd better be damn good at it.

Well, there's a very limited amount of basic character archetypes. Sure, people use these arechytpes differently, but at their essence, every character is a character that has been used and reused over and over again.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
panty sniff
Xiam
Hurbadachurba
Xiam

Well, there's a very limited amount of basic character archetypes. Sure, people use these arechytpes differently, but at their essence, every character is a character that has been used and reused over and over again.

Yeah.

What I like to do is pick from an archetype, then try to figure out what makes a person act like that, or subvert it. Either way I gotta go into "talking" to them or watching them in situations to see what they're like as a legitimate person, rather than just sort of "This is the stoic guy, this is the nerdy guy, this is the evil guy..."

Shadowy Phantom

Xiam
What I like to do is pick from an archetype, then try to figure out what makes a person act like that, or subvert it. Either way I gotta go into "talking" to them or watching them in situations to see what they're like as a legitimate person, rather than just sort of "This is the stoic guy, this is the nerdy guy, this is the evil guy..."

This, sort of. Characters fall into archetypes, but that doesn't mean they should be created as archetypes or that they should be limited to being archetypes.

In real life, archetypes are in the mind of the observer, and depend on the situation. One person might be their best friend's nerdy Q, their parents' naive but idealistic hero, and when things get bad, they might be someone else's mysterious saviour and another person's helpless damsel in distress.

Stories gain clarity from having archetypes be less fluid and less numerous per character, but that doesn't mean they have to be fixed. When you create stories, always consider how the characters perceive each other and how they would act in certain situations as people rather than an archetypes. Let them fall into archetypes as needed, don't make them be archetypes.

tl;dr: Archetypes are descriptive, they should not be prescriptive (except in meta works).

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kyousouka
Xiam

This, sort of. Characters fall into archetypes, but that doesn't mean they should be created as archetypes or that they should be limited to being archetypes.

In real life, archetypes are in the mind of the observer, and depend on the situation. One person might be their best friend's nerdy Q, their parents' naive but idealistic hero, and when things get bad, they might be someone else's mysterious saviour and another person's helpless damsel in distress.

Stories gain clarity from having archetypes be less fluid and less numerous per character, but that doesn't mean they have to be fixed. When you create stories, always consider how the characters perceive each other and how they would act in certain situations as people rather than an archetypes. Let them fall into archetypes as needed, don't make them be archetypes.

tl;dr: Archetypes are descriptive, they should not be prescriptive (except in meta works).

Very much so, yes.

I have a character who by all rights should be a "jock" archetype but is actually majoring in like... biology, I think.

And is smarter than the main character, haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff