Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is it just me or do other people have problems sticking with a comic that they started?
I might be just you or the people you are watching.
Most people don't have the tenacity for seeing a story through to the end. Too used to passively watching/reading a story via TV/movies/books/etc, maybe.

Actually, the reason I most believe is that people in general just don't see the worth in finishing a creation of their own unless they receive a huge amount of praise or validation for it.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
fivemoon
Most people don't have the tenacity for seeing a story through to the end. Too used to passively watching/reading a story via TV/movies/books/etc, maybe.

Actually, the reason I most believe is that people in general just don't see the worth in finishing a creation of their own unless they receive a huge amount of praise or validation for it.

agreed. you have to be doing it for yourself to finish or keep it up.
It's not just you. Lots of people pick up doing a comic, novel, etcetera, just for fun and with nothing really set in mind other than that they think they'd like to do one. (That's why we have so many threads on here begging for ideas.) They don't realise that it's a huge commitment with a lot of work, and they get bored and abandon it after a while.
Another good reason for abandonment - my reason for abandoning my pathetically short-lived online comic - is that sometimes, somebody starts a story, and by the time they get into it they realize that the story is just plain crappy. No reason to spend years of your life finishing something you've realized the crappiness of by chapter 3, right?
It's a lot more work than it sounds like. For soem reason or another, they tell me to stop drawing for a bit and study for finals. Having a life gets in the way, sad but true.
Sometimes you start a story, but then you just come up with something you feel is better. I do this all the time. Why would you spend all your time working on something old and mediocre when you have something new and amazing before you?
I sure do...I can't make a comic and finish it...well i've got one togheter with a friend and we almost finished part one...so we'll just have to get started again...and than it'll be oke
It's not just you. Too many people just lack the GODDAMN DEDICATION! breathes I've already two failed comic groups under my belt which crumbled due to undevoted members that quit the minute they got bored. In the end, I was the only one left and there's not much a person can do alone. I'm currently forming a third one because I'm sure there must be a few other like-minded people who will stick with it through thick and thin.

On the other hand, just as some others have already mentioned, a story may get started but abandoned later when you realise the plot is running nowhere.

People shouldn't do it 'just for fun'. Unless it's your passion, you'd probably get sick of it and abandon it.
A lot of times I think people approach it as something that you do for fun or hobbies. Sure it should be fun for you, but you have to take it with some professionalism. I mean kidding around aside if you do not do what you say you will do then you are hurting your reputation as well as your own confidence. If you cannot do what you say, at least you have to prove you tried to do as much as you can. Most procrastinate and/or try to do things beyond themselves. I have found that if you keep a open communication with those you are doing it, and keep your own personal deadlines with out making excuses you usually can gain momentum.

Most think they can do allot and set a goal for allot, but when they fail they loose interest and allot of times quit. If you set small goals and get them done then you typically stay at it. If you finish a goal then you can always work ahead, but if you don't finish a goal allot of times melancholy attitudes start to set in and you many times loose momentum and will to continue.

Those are my thoughts.
Rumiko Nadajima
It's not just you. Too many people just lack the GODDAMN DEDICATION! breathes I've already two failed comic groups under my belt which crumbled due to undevoted members that quit the minute they got bored. In the end, I was the only one left and there's not much a person can do alone. I'm currently forming a third one because I'm sure there must be a few other like-minded people who will stick with it through thick and thin.

On the other hand, just as some others have already mentioned, a story may get started but abandoned later when you realise the plot is running nowhere.

People shouldn't do it 'just for fun'. Unless it's your passion, you'd probably get sick of it and abandon it.

Have you considered working solo?
radical jojo
Rumiko Nadajima

It is a give and take thing. You have to be part motivator and part bossman. In a studio it is fine and well, but it is better to start with three people and set rules. If they don't follow them with out good reason and approval then you drop them. You can use the 3 strike rule or what ever. You just have to be able to keep a good core and let the rest go. You can make a good title with three people if you all just do your job and share those side jobs like motivating and marketing.
Recruit people that are serious. If they say that they do it for fun and that is all. Don't consider them. If they are really negative or say they don't have a scanner yet. Don't consider them. If they say they can't show you any samples and don't try to at least make a way of proving them selves. Drop them like a hot Potatoe and run.
Darkreavers
radical jojo
Rumiko Nadajima

It is a give and take thing. You have to be part motivator and part bossman. In a studio it is fine and well, but it is better to start with three people and set rules. If they don't follow them with out good reason and approval then you drop them. You can use the 3 strike rule or what ever. You just have to be able to keep a good core and let the rest go. You can make a good title with three people if you all just do your job and share those side jobs like motivating and marketing.

Both of my first groups had 3 people. Both broke up because the other 2 members, although they claimed they were committed, eventually said they had no time for it. And left me scrabbling to pick myself up again.

I have considered going solo. I've decided to give this group thing one last chance in case I'm third time lucky. If it fails again, I shall hole up in a corner, brood for one week and move on as an independent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff