Welcome to Gaia! ::

Basic plot:

I want to write a horror story about a guy who falls in love with a girl, but the girl rejected the guy because both of them are actually sibliings. The guy then committed suicide and became an urban legend around the hood.His spirit haunts the townspeople, and constantly seeking the soul of his sister.

I know the concept is really old fashion, but what I wanna do to make it fresh is to insert some unique horror elements:

1) the evil spirit can possess a single person one at a time (kinda like a parasite). the "possessed" will look normal; however, the appearance will alter when pissed (i will post a design later, but the physical appearance will resemble those monsters from "The Thing" wink

2)diversity of characters: i wanna create interesting characters, make the readers fall in love with them, then kill them off unexpectly (element of surprise).

Characters:

Maya: The sister (art design will be posted later).

Louis: The brother/spirit.

Derek: A asian with a dark history with the townspeople.

that's it for now.

Profitable Prophet

Honestly, it's not too overused because of that brother/sister thing, which would definitely limit the appeal of the comic. The incestual element of it is sort of a poor way to drive him to suicide, and I would suggest choosing a different reason for him to commit suicide and the girl to reject him. I feel like that would definitely make the characters more interesting, especially to a person like me, who enjoys when relationships don't always work out in prose. The way you put it made it seem like them being related was the only reason the relationship failed.

Other than that, I can't really give critique without knowing more of the story. it is definitely something you could make really interesting with good, relateable characters and good tension/suspense-building techniques.
What matters most is the execution of an idea. You can have a lot of standard horror story elements and still end up with a story that seems like your own.

However, I find that I tend not to connect all that much with the characters in horror themed media, as they all tend to die along pretty well charted lines. You say your plan is to kill them all, which is exactly what most of your savvy audience will be expecting. This is not to say that you cannot make your audience feel for these characters, its just going to be a little more difficult. And I beg that you don't mistake gore for being scary when you actually do kill them.

Don't worry so much about whether or not you have a novel idea. Worry about how you are going to write/draw the thing,because that is far more important.
Niiwa
Honestly, it's not too overused because of that brother/sister thing, which would definitely limit the appeal of the comic. The incestual element of it is sort of a poor way to drive him to suicide, and I would suggest choosing a different reason for him to commit suicide and the girl to reject him. I feel like that would definitely make the characters more interesting, especially to a person like me, who enjoys when relationships don't always work out in prose. The way you put it made it seem like them being related was the only reason the relationship failed.

Other than that, I can't really give critique without knowing more of the story. it is definitely something you could make really interesting with good, relateable characters and good tension/suspense-building techniques.

thanks for the feedback.

what if the couple did fall in love and did not know they are related by blood until later? and then the girl falls for another guy? would those be reasonable enough to motivate the guy to off himself? thanks.
-2o
What matters most is the execution of an idea. You can have a lot of standard horror story elements and still end up with a story that seems like your own.

However, I find that I tend not to connect all that much with the characters in horror themed media, as they all tend to die along pretty well charted lines. You say your plan is to kill them all, which is exactly what most of your savvy audience will be expecting. This is not to say that you cannot make your audience feel for these characters, its just going to be a little more difficult. And I beg that you don't mistake gore for being scary when you actually do kill them.

Don't worry so much about whether or not you have a novel idea. Worry about how you are going to write/draw the thing,because that is far more important.

thanks for the feedback.

i was thinking of making each characters equally important, and it would not be obvious to figure out who dies & who survives. would that work in this case?

also, gore is a must for this project, and i will also make some parts shocking and creepy.
BlackBeanAce
-2o

thanks for the feedback.

i was thinking of making each characters equally important, and it would not be obvious to figure out who dies & who survives. would that work in this case?

also, gore is a must for this project, and i will also make some parts shocking and creepy.

Yeah, it would work. If you write the characters well enough, maybe the most genre savvy will still know death is on the horizon, but they wouldn't care.

I'm not against all gore, just the gore that is non essential to the plot and exists solely for the sake of having graphic murder all over the place. If the gore you are showing is essential to the plot, go for it. Just understand that its presence doesn't make the story scarier nor is it a stand in for actual horror.
-2o
BlackBeanAce
-2o

thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, it would work. If you write the characters well enough, maybe the most genre savvy will still know death is on the horizon, but they wouldn't care.

I'm not against all gore, just the gore that is non essential to the plot and exists solely for the sake of having graphic murder all over the place. If the gore you are showing is essential to the plot, go for it. Just understand that its presence doesn't make the story scarier nor is it a stand in for actual horror.

yeah. agree.

this might be off topic, don't you think it is rather sad that the world nowadays generally accept gore over story? it is rather hard to find a good horror film this age.

my greatest inspriation for horror is REC and REC2. those films shown the best combination of suspense and gore.
BlackBeanAce
-2o
BlackBeanAce
-2o

thanks for the feedback.

yeah. agree.

this might be off topic, don't you think it is rather sad that the world nowadays generally accept gore over story? it is rather hard to find a good horror film this age.

my greatest inspriation for horror is REC and REC2. those films shown the best combination of suspense and gore.

I haven't seen either of those films, but I think in general movies that sell seats are the ones being made. Gore sells, so gore gets a pass. I personally think it's a waste. Once you've seen one person get their guts ripped out by a monster or somesuch, it really gets samey, and inventing new ways of killing people doesn't change that.
-2o
BlackBeanAce
-2o
BlackBeanAce
-2o

thanks for the feedback.

yeah. agree.

I haven't seen either of those films, but I think in general movies that sell seats are the ones being made. Gore sells, so gore gets a pass. I personally think it's a waste. Once you've seen one person get their guts ripped out by a monster or somesuch, it really gets samey, and inventing new ways of killing people doesn't change that.

oh in this case, you should check out REC and REC2. the gore is at minimum, and the suspense is the focal point of the films. the films intended for the viewers to "tag along" with the characters, much like grave encounter, but with a different plot.
BlackBeanAce
oh in this case, you should check out REC and REC2. the gore is at minimum, and the suspense is the focal point of the films. the films intended for the viewers to "tag along" with the characters, much like grave encounter, but with a different plot.

What's REC?

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
keiiii
BlackBeanAce

What's REC?
Horror films, called "Quarantine" in the US remake.
I remember hearing good things about REC. But, I'm too much of a baby to be bothered with horror.
Kupocake
keiiii
BlackBeanAce

What's REC?
I remember hearing good things about REC. But, I'm too much of a baby to be bothered with horror.

ask your boyfriend or girlfriend to watch it with you. it is a good film. razz

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
BlackBeanAce
Kupocake
keiiii
BlackBeanAce

What's REC?

ask your boyfriend or girlfriend to watch it with you. it is a good film. razz
Nah, not a horror fan in general.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas