Welcome to Gaia! ::

I want to get critique on my plot for my comic (I haven't started drawing it yet), but I'm a beginner (in both cases-though I'm a bit more familiar with writing) and I don't want anybody to steal my ideas. Plus, I don't have a lot of time to spend hours and hours everyday on my manga (...and besides, I don't like to practice, nor know how to ink... ^^ wink . Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do?
Michiko Hoshi
I want to get critique on my plot for my comic (I haven't started drawing it yet), but I'm a beginner (in both cases-though I'm a bit more familiar with writing) and I don't want anybody to steal my ideas. Plus, I don't have a lot of time to spend hours and hours everyday on my manga (...and besides, I don't like to practice, nor know how to ink... ^^ wink . Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do?

If you don't want anyone to steal your ideas, then you'll have to muddle through by yourself. There is no guarantee that if you post something in public that someone else won't try and copy it.

If you want comments from the public, that's just the risk you're going to have to take.

However - and this is not to slam you in any way - it's highly unlikely that you, as a beginner, will have an idea so amazingly original that 1) it hasn't been done before in some way; or 2) someone else will want to steal it.

If you don't like to practice, and don't have hours to spend every day, the only thing left for you to do is just go ahead and do the comic. Do it as good as you can. If you can only spend a little time doing it, well, do what you can. The best way to get better is to keep working and practicing - if you can't (or won't) spend time just practicing, then the only thing left to do is work directly on the manga and let that be the practice. The more you use your craft, the better you'll get.

However, you'll have to be prepared for the fact that when you begin your comic, it will be very rough. If you get better, you may look back on the early pages of your comic later and wish you could have done better. Still, that's what you get for not practicing first.
Stop Him
Michiko Hoshi

If you don't want anyone to steal your ideas, then you'll have to muddle through by yourself. There is no guarantee that if you post something in public that someone else won't try and copy it.

If you want comments from the public, that's just the risk you're going to have to take.

However - and this is not to slam you in any way - it's highly unlikely that you, as a beginner, will have an idea so amazingly original that 1) it hasn't been done before in some way; or 2) someone else will want to steal it.

If you don't like to practice, and don't have hours to spend every day, the only thing left for you to do is just go ahead and do the comic. Do it as good as you can. If you can only spend a little time doing it, well, do what you can. The best way to get better is to keep working and practicing - if you can't (or won't) spend time just practicing, then the only thing left to do is work directly on the manga and let that be the practice. The more you use your craft, the better you'll get.

However, you'll have to be prepared for the fact that when you begin your comic, it will be very rough. If you get better, you may look back on the early pages of your comic later and wish you could have done better. Still, that's what you get for not practicing first.

Crap, my ^^; came out as a winking face. stressed Whatever, it was my fault, so...

Anyway. :XP

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't mean that I'm not going to practice at all (heck, of course, I don't trust myself with just being able to KNOW how to do things), but I get a bit lazy sometimes, I'll admit. sweatdrop

I doubt that my manga is very original, actually... but its original enough for me, and I'm not taking any chances. ninja Better safe than sorry.

I'm still trying to figure out the plot, and make the charactetrs deep, and making sure I know how to draw the characters to the point where I can draw them with a different hair style and they're still recognizable. (Not a big accomplishment, I know, but a feat for me.) And, of course, just how to draw furniture, buildings, clothing, wrinkles, human anatomy...in general. I doubt I'll have the first page down very soon, but since vacation is coming up, I'll probably have some time to work on it. Thanks again! I was worried that I wouldn't get any advice at all...which actually isn't very uncommon around here (or any slow forum, for that matter). sweatdrop

Distinct Seeker

What about you try to go to your local bookstore and see if they have any how to draw manga books. Usually these books contain a bit about basic drawing, inking, CGing, exct... and perhaps it may be helpful to you. Or at least you will be able to maybe get some really good inspiration... Well, I'll shut up now sweatdrop
You should get a close friend or family member you trust to look over your work.
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I was considering looking at the 'How to Draw Manga' books, but I heard they didn't really help. Still, since none of the online tutorials I've seen explain any inking techniques, I'll look at them. I do have plenty of inspiration, though. xd

As for arrogantchild...yeah, I suppose I'll try that. One of my sisters is a writer, so that may be of some use, but the other one (although she reads a lot of manga and writes/draws a bit) is very moody, so I might just get yelled at when she's in an especially bad mood...but thanks!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff