Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lunatic

in the U.S.?;;

i live in los angeles- would there be stores selling these kinds of paper, like office depot, etc?

Shadowy Phantom

JIS A4 is identical to ISO A4, and you might be able to find it at office stories. However, it's very unlikely that you'll find cardstock or bristol in that size. I have to buy my A4 copy paper overseas.

JIS B4 is different from ISO B4 and it's highly unlikely that you'll find it in stores in the US. However, you may be able to find it in stores like Kinokuniya, and online stores like Akadot, which sell comic papers from Japan. Note that these would be comic papers, not copy paper or anything like that. The cost would be higher, but they handle ink better.

Why do you want Japanese paper sizes, anyway?
You can line standard US sizes for the 1:sqrt(2) proportions that Japanese and ISO papers have, and then scale the artwork digitally to whatever size you need, as long as you scan it large enough. Even if you get Japanese paper, you'd still likely need to line it (some comic papers are pre-lined; B4 papers are lined for C4 and A4 is lined for B5), so it really makes little difference what the actual paper size proportions are.

Lunatic

Kyousouka
JIS A4 is identical to ISO A4, and you might be able to find it at office stories. However, it's very unlikely that you'll find cardstock or bristol in that size. I have to buy my A4 copy paper overseas.

JIS B4 is different from ISO B4 and it's highly unlikely that you'll find it in stores in the US. However, you may be able to find it in stores like Kinokuniya, and online stores like Akadot, which sell comic papers from Japan. Note that these would be comic papers, not copy paper or anything like that. The cost would be higher, but they handle ink better.

You can line standard US sizes for the 1:sqrt(2) proportions that Japanese and ISO papers have, and then scale the artwork digitally to whatever size you need, as long as you scan it large enough. Even if you get Japanese paper, you'd still likely need to line it (some comic papers are pre-lined; B4 papers are lined for C4 and A4 is lined for B5), so it really makes little difference what the actual paper size proportions are.
ah oh i just wanted to start out with what it says on there but i'm going to follow your advice since they have you be able to submit the work through sending a file except i'm a bit lost on the part about um scaling it to exactly fit, won't that take away the quality if i resize it though? sorry for not understanding i'm pretty confused lol
or do you think i could just take the formatting and sizing from these examples or would that be a wrong way to go about it and come out way different from what you see ( http://www.manga-audition.com/en/examples/ )

oh my god so clueless sorry! i really have no idea;

Shadowy Phantom

weg eggnog
Kyousouka

ah oh i just wanted to start out with what it says on there but i'm going to follow your advice since they have you be able to submit the work through sending a file except i'm a bit lost on the part about um scaling it to exactly fit, won't that take away the quality if i resize it though? sorry for not understanding i'm pretty confused lol
or do you think i could just take the formatting and sizing from these examples or would that be a wrong way to go about it and come out way different from what you see ( http://www.manga-audition.com/en/examples/ )

Sorry, I didn't understand most of your post, so I doubt this'll address all of your questions:
Resizing images to be larger makes you lose quality, but if you scan the image really large, you can scale it down to the needed size and it'll look good.
If you're not familiar with things like DPI and bleed margins, I recommend reading up on printing a bit first and learning these terms. There are many websites out there that explain them. You should understand them before you worry about paper size, so that you actually know what you need and why. It'll also make it make it easier to explain things to you.

Lunatic

Kyousouka
weg eggnog
Kyousouka

Sorry, I didn't understand most of your post, so I doubt this'll address all of your questions:
Resizing images to be larger makes you lose quality, but if you scan the image really large, you can scale it down to the needed size and it'll look good.
If you're not familiar with things like DPI and bleed margins, I recommend reading up on printing a bit first and learning these terms. There are many websites out there that explain them. You should understand them before you worry about paper size, so that you actually know what you need and why. It'll also make it make it easier to explain things to you.
so i would need to scan it larger than usual? when using the scanner i never really mess with the settings
and the resolution is always 300dpi

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces