Welcome to Gaia! ::

I already know bach and beathtoven and even alkan but could you suggest some of their lesser known music or someone else? Oh! and I also know choppin smile but if you know any of their songs or any other composers please send my a link or something smile
Jean-Baptiste Lully
Erik Satie
Paul Hindemith
Luigi Dallapiccola
Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Hans Werner Henze
Luc Ferrari
Peter Michael Hamel
Henri Dutilleux
Lubomyr Melnyk
Béla Bartók

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Claude Debussy
Franz Liszt
Modest Mussorgsky
Scarlatti
Schubert

And you should look more into Chopin. He has a bunch of amazing things like his Piano Concerto in E minor, Op 11 - 1. (Sorry I don't have a link) and;
Although these works are not necessarily written by lesser known composers, here's a list of pieces you should listen to along with suggested artists:

Brahms- Symphony No. 3 (all of his stuff is great though) with the CHICAGO SYMPHONY

Beethoven- Symphony No. 7

Vivaldi- The Four Seasons
Mendelssohn- Violin Concerto Op. 64 in E minor (with SARAH CHANG or HILARY HAHN)

Elgar- Cello Concerto Op. 85 in E minor (featured in August Rush) with JACQUELINE DU PRE

I could list others, but I'll stop there... well almost. I am a singer, so let's not forget vocal music (I feel opera is under-appreciated)!!!!!!

Listen to Renee Fleming (soprano). You'll either love or hate her, but I love her CLASSICAL singing. Please don't listen to anything from her Dark Hope album...

I LOVE THE COMPOSER ROBERT SCHUMANN!!!!! So, listen to his Frauenliebe und leben with a mezzo-soprano (preferably Anne Sofie von Otter) singing it.

Finally, listen to Schubert's Erlkonig. I posted a female singer, but you should also listen to a male singing it. Look at the translation while you watch it.

Finally finally, if you want to delve into opera, the best way is to go to one or to at least watch a video of one. I suggest something by Puccini. Madame Butterfly was my first, but La Boheme (what Rent is based off of) is great also. If you want to watch a comic opera, watch Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) by Wolfgang Mozart.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think of this music (and please quote my post or I may never know you replied).

P.S. Check my signature. Nodame Cantabile is an anime that can expose you to tons of new Classical music.
Thanks for all these replies!...even though i only got three so far! smile but I am going to look into all this music and find some new things. I'm trying to find an easy peice my friend and i can do as a duet. she is on violin and me on piano sooo if you find one please let me know smile 4laugh blaugh
If your friend can find easy pieces for the violin, chances are they have an easy piano accompaniment. If you want something anime related, I suggest the BT theme from .hack//sign if you can find the music somewhere.
Chopin = heart

6,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
Vivaldi is definitely one to look into. Not only is it great to listen to, but I love playing it as well.
try watching la corda d'oro
its an anime
You can never go wrong with Shostakovich.

5,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
these,even thou they are not minor composers at all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozvnMZ7Jq4
illusionist princess
these,even thou they are not minor composers at all
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozvnMZ7Jq4

this is very beautiful! :3 it sounds familiar...I have heard this piece some where... :3

5,200 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Most of these are well-known composers, but they should be explored to at least some extent:

Brahms
Buxtehude
Chopin
Couperin
Handel (try the harpsichord suites and the Water Music)
Haydn (Haydn in particular is underrated due to living in Mozart and Beethoven's shadow)
Mendelssohn
Mozart
Purcell
Scarlatti
Schubert
Sibelius

2,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
go on youtube.com and just type in classical biggrin

Quick Reply