Offenbach 0.033333333333333 3.3% [ 3 ]
Rossini 0.077777777777778 7.8% [ 7 ]
Verdi 0.077777777777778 7.8% [ 7 ]
Puccini 0.12222222222222 12.2% [ 11 ]
Other! 0.3 30.0% [ 27 ]
Total Votes:[ 90 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Angelic Muse

I do sing opera, but only as a hobby. I took vocaltraining and such. I am a mezzosoprano - but I usually sing alto pieces.I LOVE opera!

Eloquent Explorer

10,250 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
I listen to opera sometimes, I used to have a dog that would howl the whole time

I prefer Italian opera while the dog liked German rofl

O.G. Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
Mmmn, opera. Only started to like it when I saw a few productions in Europe. I'm currently going down the path of a spinto soprano. I still think it's weird since I used to be such a soubrette.

My favourite opera is Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin with Menotti's The Consul in close second. They make me have so many feelings @_@
Peter Grimes was cute. English opera is always fun to figure out, makes me wonder what Italian/German speakers hear in their own opera languages

Shy Exhibitionist

Elegy Hymn
Anyone out there sing/love opera? If so, what's your voice type and what's your favourite opera?

Oh yes!

My voice classification is somewhat ambiguous right now--and that my be because of my age, I'm only eighteen. I've been called a lyric mezzo by many of my professors, and my recent casting as Hansel in Humperdinck's Hansel and Gretel has led me to believe that lyric mezzo is where my voice will settle. c:

Hmmm... I have a soft spot for Mozart and Rossini. I tend to be drawn into the lighter operas, opera buffa, etc. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say The Barber of Seville, because it was the first opera that I saw, and it sparked my interest in opera (not to mention it's just hella fun in general). I was also introduced to that opera earlier when I heard a recitalist perform Una voce poco fa, which then quickly became my favorite aria for a long time. I think I would just die of happiness if I could play Rosina one day. :D
Oh wow, just look at the lengths of time between these posts. Seems there isn't much love for the opera on Gaia these days. Or for classical music in general. That's life, though, I suppose. More for us who can actually appreciate it.

I can't claim to be an opera singer, but I do have some classical training under my belt. I usually sing Broadway/music-theater rep now and am becoming more of a singing actor than a true classical singer. Regardless, I like to appreciate my classical roots. I'm one of those odd lyric baritones with a slight lean toward "dramatic baritone".

I'm not as knowledgeable about opera as I'd like, but I definitely can't get enough Mozart and love opera in general. One of these days. ONE. OF. THESE. DAYS. I will play Don Giovanni. It has to happen.

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I do prefer Italian opera also. smile

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Sedraen

I'm not as knowledgeable about opera as I'd like,

So am I, but I love to listen both opera & classical music. smile

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Sedraen
Oh wow, just look at the lengths of time between these posts. Seems there isn't much love for the opera on Gaia these days. Or for classical music in general. That's life, though, I suppose. More for us who can actually appreciate it.

I can't claim to be an opera singer, but I do have some classical training under my belt. I usually sing Broadway/music-theater rep now and am becoming more of a singing actor than a true classical singer. Regardless, I like to appreciate my classical roots. I'm one of those odd lyric baritones with a slight lean toward "dramatic baritone".

I'm not as knowledgeable about opera as I'd like, but I definitely can't get enough Mozart and love opera in general. One of these days. ONE. OF. THESE. DAYS. I will play Don Giovanni. It has to happen.
Yes, admittedly the activity in this forum is kind of... lacking. Haha.

On topic, Don Giovanni is easily one of my favorite Mozart roles, both from a character perspective and a musical perspective. He just has some great arias and it's overall a really wonderful opera.

It's very cool that you're able to branch out into broadway/musical theatre type singing while still honoring your classical background. I was trained entirely classically, and while I like musical theatre, I have a hard time really "accessing" it from a musical/technical perspective. It's probably pretty different as I'm a light soprano with a high tessitura, and there simply isn't very much out there that works well with my voice type. But actually I feel that in general, the strongest musical theatre singers are the ones who understand the voice the way classical singers tend to. It's not that musical theatre training can't equip a singer with detailed knowledge about the technical minutia of vocal production, but it seems to me that it's rare for a singer with no classical background to have that much knowledge and understanding about their own voice, which eventually shows in their performance and career. I'm not sure why that is, exactly, but I feel it's important to have that strong background regardless of what genre one sings.

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Yes, admittedly the activity in this forum is kind of... lacking.

I have to agree with your point.
Keakealani
Sedraen

Yes, admittedly the activity in this forum is kind of... lacking. Haha.

On topic, Don Giovanni is easily one of my favorite Mozart roles, both from a character perspective and a musical perspective. He just has some great arias and it's overall a really wonderful opera.

It's very cool that you're able to branch out into broadway/musical theatre type singing while still honoring your classical background. I was trained entirely classically, and while I like musical theatre, I have a hard time really "accessing" it from a musical/technical perspective. It's probably pretty different as I'm a light soprano with a high tessitura, and there simply isn't very much out there that works well with my voice type. But actually I feel that in general, the strongest musical theatre singers are the ones who understand the voice the way classical singers tend to. It's not that musical theatre training can't equip a singer with detailed knowledge about the technical minutia of vocal production, but it seems to me that it's rare for a singer with no classical background to have that much knowledge and understanding about their own voice, which eventually shows in their performance and career. I'm not sure why that is, exactly, but I feel it's important to have that strong background regardless of what genre one sings.

I think every singer should be knowledgeable about classical technique, even if they don't apply it in every case. Personally, I've lost a lot of my technique, gained a bunch of bad habits, but I still keep my training in mind and try to sing as properly as I can in-context. Part of the problem with transitioning from classical singing to Broadway, though, is that sometimes it's hard to switch to more of a "pop voice" when needed, so I end up sounding like a Broadway bass-baritone half the time when I'm singing a role nearly meant for a tenor. lol

I wouldn't think a classical soprano would have trouble finding roles in Broadway. It seems like a lot of Broadway soprano roles are meant for classical voices, like Rosa Bud from Drood or Johanna from Sweeney Todd, for example. But I can kind of understand it if your tessitura is extremely high. Are you lyric or by any chance a coloratura soprano? I can't think of many roles for the latter, even though that's my favorite type of soprano in opera. I know Broadway is pretty difficult for young baritones. It seems most "baritone" roles in music theater are really for a baryton-martin or darker-voiced tenors.

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Sedraen
I think every singer should be knowledgeable about classical technique, even if they don't apply it in every case. Personally, I've lost a lot of my technique, gained a bunch of bad habits, but I still keep my training in mind and try to sing as properly as I can in-context. Part of the problem with transitioning from classical singing to Broadway, though, is that sometimes it's hard to switch to more of a "pop voice" when needed, so I end up sounding like a Broadway bass-baritone half the time when I'm singing a role nearly meant for a tenor. lol

I wouldn't think a classical soprano would have trouble finding roles in Broadway. It seems like a lot of Broadway soprano roles are meant for classical voices, like Rosa Bud from Drood or Johanna from Sweeney Todd, for example. But I can kind of understand it if your tessitura is extremely high. Are you lyric or by any chance a coloratura soprano? I can't think of many roles for the latter, even though that's my favorite type of soprano in opera. I know Broadway is pretty difficult for young baritones. It seems most "baritone" roles in music theater are really for a baryton-martin or darker-voiced tenors.
You've caught me haha! I'm still growing into it, so I'm not sure if it's really a "for-sure" classification, but I strongly suspect I'm leaning coloratura. My voice isn't that flexible, but I think that's more due to still needing to improve technique, rather than because it's outside of my voice type. But it's definitely very light and "sparkly" near the top of my range and my tessitura keeps moving upwards xD I joke that I can only sing above the staff, and while that's not objectively true, I feel like I get into the easiest and fullest part of my range around D-Eb5 or so.

I know what you mean about transitioning into a "pop" voice. I can do it in casual contexts like karaoke, but I feel like it's hard to get really solid with that resonance and timbre when my "classical" mind kicks in. I haven't studied that much with more musical theatre-oriented teachers, so I don't really feel like I have the tools to "get it" just yet. But, it's still really helpful to be versatile and have a lot of options.

Although, this is probably the reason I don't plan on performing primarily - it's just not as easy for me to access as the other stuff I do like composing and research. Haha.

Illuminated Kitsune

26,190 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Threadmaster 200
Wagner and Schubert always know how to give me the chills

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers