THE PLANETS, YEAH!

Mercury the Winged Messenger 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 3 ]
Venus the Bringer of Peace 0.044444444444444 4.4% [ 2 ]
Mars the Bringer of War 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 12 ]
Jupiter the Bringer of Jollity 0.2 20.0% [ 9 ]
Saturn the Bringer of Old Age 0.17777777777778 17.8% [ 8 ]
Uranus the Magician 0.088888888888889 8.9% [ 4 ]
Neptune the Mystic 0.088888888888889 8.9% [ 4 ]
Pluto the Bringer of Non-Existent (also see: poll whore) 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 45 ]
1 2 >

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Good evening, Classical Music forum, although I knew about Holst's Op. 32, I never really started to be obsessed with the work until this spring. I'm just curious if anyone else shares my passion with Holst's work? As a long time member of school band, now in university band, I've had my fair share of Holst, starting with an excerpt of Jupiter the Bringer of Jollity in grade 6 band, as well as another work entitled "First Suite in Eb" (which was just as fabulous as his Planets work). My favourite piece in the Planets would be Uranus the Mystic, as it has a powerful aroma to it, yet it ingeniously has a calm, pretty march implemented in it. Although I do have a soft spot for Neptune the Mystic for perpetuating a beautiful aquatic scene, as well as the planet Neptune itself being my favourite planet in the solar system.

Only in Uranus do the woodwinds coexist in harmony with the brass!

So anyway, let me ask: what is your favourite work of Gustav Holst? Do you like the Planets?

i like his choral music best but that might just be because i'm partial to choral music — my favorite piece of his is probably "i love my love"

My university's orchestra performed The Planets last semester and it was wonderful! (I was also stoned out of my mind but I would have been awe-inspired sober as well.) I've always been partial to Jupiter because of the lyrical middle theme. I performed a choral work based on the theme called "Homeland" for organ, brass, percussion and Mens Choir. It was breath-taking.

Pirate

he never ending battle between black and white rages on...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My heart about skipped a beat when I read this forum //OH MY GOD//. I have a love for Holst as well. When I was in middle school my band to played First Suite in Eb, and I personally enjoyed the part the Horns played (my instrument). The Planets Suite is my favorite from Holst also. I have a deep loving favor for Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age, and Uranus, the Magician. Those two have always been my ultimate favorites. Neptune also kicks a** mmmm. //thumbsup

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...ßut who will be the victor..?

Fashionable Cutie-Pie

I'm going to have to be lame and say Mars >.<

Edit: Great, now I've gone back to listen to the entire suite again... 3nodding
♔♔♔♔♔

Oh my goodness, I love Holst! I'm partial to the St. Paul's Suite, having played a few excerpts from it in my middle school orchestra. But I absolutely love the Planets suite! My favorite movement is Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age. That chord at the end gives me goosebumps every time. Uranus and Neptune are close seconds.
jupiter and mars!
First Suite in Eb is amazing. I had the fortune of playing it a couple of times throughout my band 'career' so far. It's definitely one of my very favorite concert band pieces ever.

Dapper Genius

1,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image YES. SO MUCH YES.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Surreal Goldfish
My university's orchestra performed The Planets last semester and it was wonderful! (I was also stoned out of my mind but I would have been awe-inspired sober as well.) I've always been partial to Jupiter because of the lyrical middle theme. I performed a choral work based on the theme called "Homeland" for organ, brass, percussion and Mens Choir. It was breath-taking.

emotion_awesome

I did the same piece for women's choir! I'm partial to Jupiter for the same reasons. ^_^
My high schools Wind Ensemble got to play the First Suite in Eb the year before I got into Wind Ens, and it was absolutely amazing to hear. I got the pleasure of playing the Second Suite in F, and that was a lot of fun! My absolute favorite of that was the Song Without Words, with the Clarinet as the solo instead of the Oboe. No Holst pieces this year so far, but I'm hoping we could try some of the planets, which I was thrilled to find in our music folders! smile My favorite of the planets is either Jupiter, or Saturn, though I like all of them very much.
It's been a while since I've listened to his work, but yes, I like Holst a lot. smile

Dapper Genius

As a cellist, I find that I'm very biased towards Jupiter, as we get a chance to sort of play the melody, unlike some of Holst's other pieces. However, I find that I prefer to listen to Mercury or Venus. So I guess it just depends on if I'm playing the suites or not.

Liberal Bloodsucker

6,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Love me some of the planets. If you get a chance, check out the Santa Clara Vanguard's 2012 show, Music of a Starry Night. They do both Jupiter and Mars, as well as some other prolific classical pieces. Eric Whitacre's "Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine" anyone? While Drum and Bugle Corps may not be the most musically interesting art form, it does have the benefit of exposing the public at large to a wide variety of music they may not otherwise try and listen to. Anyways, Mars is my favorite by far.

Winter Wraith's Compadre

Blessed Genius

6,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
I remember watching my high school band practice this composition, and it sounded great! Love this ever since, and I love every minute of it~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff