POLL!!! 0.095238095238095 9.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Well, I'm a legal adult, and I supposes my brain is somewhat on the adult level but really it's not.

An adult is someone who knows how to handle certian situations and can take care of things. Such as, considering other people's feeling and the outcome of their own actions. Someone who knows how to make sacrafices and/or compromises. Which I guess these are attributes of responisbility.
Whiskey Grey
Discovering that adults don't really know what they're doing either.

Hahaha that is so true.
The definition of being an adult has changed over time, and it means something different for each "gender." Pre industrial times, being an adult was when you got married. Now, it means (for both men AND women) to be financially stable. Having kids and getting married is no longer a prerequisite to be considered an "adult."
Of course this "definition" of what it means to be an adult is what society mainly defines as what an adult is. There is really no set age that automatically makes you an adult.
I was just thinking about this today. I work with a 28 year old grandmother. She is by far more childish than most teenagers. I do not consider her an adult. But simply because she has lived a life full of sex, she gets respected as an adult. Even though she is irresponsible, and a complete snob. We have to fix her mistakes at work all ******** day, and then she brags about her work ethic and how we need to "pick it up". When I just think about her the word "adult" doesn't cross my mind at all.

In my opinion an adult is a mature person over the age of 17. That's all.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Zultim
A while ago, I got a text message from an ex I never wanted to see again.
Long story short: he told me to grow up and be an adult.

After that, I really wondered what it meant to be an adult.

This is what I think:
An adult is simply a human who is at least 18 years old.
There is no correct way for an adult to act.
Many of them party and drink/do drugs.
The difference between an adult and a kid is the adult is stressed and worn out from life.
One thing adults and children have in common is that you can expect that in every group, there is a at least one bully/"powerful" person somewhere...
Many adults are not responsible. (I've heard that they are.)
You have to have a kid to be an adult.
You have to be happy to see everyone from your past in order to be an adult.

What exactly IS an adult? A human who is 18 years and older?

What do you guys think? =)
Do you have a list of ADULT characteristics?

(I will not include a SURVEY.
Surveys seem to upset some users on Gaiaonline.com.)

Biologically? Full physical and mental maturity. Legally? 18 (U.S.). Socially? Some combination of those things? Personally? Maturity and personal responsibility or having been around long enough to have that.

Invisible Senshi

Inhale Love Exhale Hate
The definition of being an adult has changed over time, and it means something different for each "gender." Pre industrial times, being an adult was when you got married. Now, it means (for both men AND women) to be financially stable. Having kids and getting married is no longer a prerequisite to be considered an "adult."
Of course this "definition" of what it means to be an adult is what society mainly defines as what an adult is. There is really no set age that automatically makes you an adult.

That is a very interesting way of explaining adult qualities! =)
I forgot that they are different from the (1700s?) Back then, I'm sure everyone was considered mature...
Society has like, a billion ways to prove you an an adult...D:

Invisible Senshi

SamaSenseiSenpai
I was just thinking about this today. I work with a 28 year old grandmother. She is by far more childish than most teenagers. I do not consider her an adult. But simply because she has lived a life full of sex, she gets respected as an adult. Even though she is irresponsible, and a complete snob. We have to fix her mistakes at work all ******** day, and then she brags about her work ethic and how we need to "pick it up". When I just think about her the word "adult" doesn't cross my mind at all.

In my opinion an adult is a mature person over the age of 17. That's all.

Awesome! You were just thinking about this not too long ago!
(Maybe sex is some type of ritual that human must take to become an adult...?)
And her work ethic made me laugh. xD

Invisible Senshi

britt1110
considering other people's feeling and the outcome of their own actions. Someone who knows how to make sacrafices and/or compromises. Which I guess these are attributes of responisbility.

YES!!! That was a great one!!!!
The ability to THINK and make sacrifices.

Invisible Senshi

HiIdr
Adult to me: someone who is independent of their parent(s).
If mommy and daddy still pay for all of your expenses and handle all of your affairs, you're not an adult, even if you're 40.

Thank you! That was a very simple way of explaining it. =)
It seems right....

Invisible Senshi

MsGemini11
Besides the legal stuff like drinking and buying cigarettes.
In my opinion being an adult is some who is financially stable. A mature individual who can decide whether or not they want to hang out with an ex. Someone who stands up for the beliefs and morals (I prefer in a respectable manner). And not constantly having to be reassured of their life decisions.

I know I'll sound mean when I post this, but...I thought adults always wanted to be reassured of their life decisions! (I hear that alot...)
And being respectful when standing up for beliefs/morals is a GOOD adult trait! Thank you!

Invisible Senshi

Lafiel Kimi
Half of being an adult is living on your own (or with a partner/roommate) and paying for your own bills, and making responsible decisions about your finances, career, and all things related.

The other half is making responsible decisions about your hobbies and relationships. An adult can drink, but is smart enough not to drink if they know they'll be driving, can party, but will not go to that party if it means that they can't finish that homework, and can start a family, but not with that hot person at the bar whose name they don't know.

When you hold yourself accountable for making responsible decisions, you're an adult.

Personally, I consider myself reasonably responsible, but I still like video games and anime, still procrastinate when I can, and still enjoy being silly and childish. These are things that have little correlation to age or adulthood, in my opinion. They're just part of who I am.

You guys have great ideas on what an adult is! (I'm trying to respond to everyone's posts)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! =)
You made a good point about games and anime not being correlated to age...
(I always hear people talking about, "He's 30 and he still plays videogames!" Then you see that guy in a uniform looking very professional. Dang.)

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Thinking things through.
And when you don't...
Owning up to your actions.
Carrying your own weight.
Making your own decisions.
Realizing people are people too and should be treated as such.
Understanding there's nothing special and phenomenal about you and that you're not entitled to anything you didn't pay with your body weight of blood, sweat and dust(seperately).
Phenothiazines
starrberry3
What if you have borderline personality disorder?

I try to be logical but I have intense negative emotions that disrupt my day. It's part of having a mental disability :/

Some people say it's a problem in emotional development. Take of it what you will. No offense.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Being self-sufficient.

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
To me, an adult is someone who is 18/21, more so the latter. But I consider whether or not someone is grown-up or mature to be more important - can they handle life, as it were, or do they try and habitually avoid responsiblities? An adult can do both, a mature person, the former.

Friendly Fairy

7,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
When you have a dude come to your house to help you conserve energy and save money on your gas and electric bill. AND you get excited about the free light bulbs, faucets, and shower-heads. emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff