Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Gaian

My boyfriend met my grandmother before any of my other family members. He came to pick me up for a date and we all talked for a few minutes then left. He met my dad a few times and Dad like him a lot. I met his mom over Chinese food and we went to his dad's house once. They like me. ^_^ His mom says I'm "sweet and adorable" and his dad almost always asks about me when he calls my boyfriend.

Don't be nervous. Just groom yourself nicely, be polite, and be genuine.

Timid Seeker

I found out I was meeting them and staying over literally 2 hours beforehand, so I had no time to really freak myself out.

Both of his parents were really nice and treated me well. They had a good impression of who I was already because he talks about me, so to them it likely wasn't as big of a deal. I knew almost nothing except their careers and general personality traits though, so I was nervous.

There was no pressure though, and in the morning I volunteered to help them cook breakfast for everyone (the family and the children in the children's home, since they manage one). They could tell that I respected / cared for / treated their son well, so I passed. Clearly I'm not perfect, but I'm good in the ways that mattered to them.

My advice is just to act respectfully and to be considerate. I was raised in a culture where parents are terrifying and expect a lot from you in terms of manners and are very critical of what "considerate" means. I've found that Americans (mostly) are much more laid back and as long as you're respectful and you show that you actually care for their child, it's fine. Much more extreme things like general signs of delinquency might be looked down on, but you won't be demonized as intensely for something subtle. Unless they're a family from eastern origin / culture. Asian parents and Eastern European parents are hard to please.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Toxilicks
Silly Annie
What is Meaning of Life
Silly Annie
well it could be worse
my dad threw my first boyfriend through a window
an I didnt see him again after that

If they dont like you jus think bout how youd handle someone else not likin you right
they aint gotta matter

Oh my god! crying

well I mean he was ok
he was a big guy an a few glass cuts wernt gonna kill him
but he was like
"man ******** that family" an I never saw him again so I was kinda sad
it was cause he took my virginity see an my dad was like
NO ******** THIS GUY
but its whatever yknow
that was years back an my dasd died since then so its whatever

What was your life like before it became where you are now, anyway?

kinda like village life
old style sorta thing
If they invited you to dinner I would bring food or drink..

Heroic Mage

My mother-in-law apparently thinks I'm amazing, not that her opinion holds any weight with me or my husband. He would have married me no matter what she thought.

My advice is to be polite and be yourself, but if their opinion is make it or break it with this girl, then run as fast as you can.

Interesting Phantom

Just to be safe, you should bring some food/a present. Ask your gf what they're like, how traditional they are. If they are traditional, you might have to be on your BEST behavior and be very polite. And especially if they're from a different culture or something.

Benevolent Hunter

i wouldn't worry too much if you're respectful to them and your girlfriend things should be fine.
Try not to say anything political or y'know controversial just because that's a good tip for meeting anyone new unless it's like a main focus of discussion and everyone is respectful about it.

But yeah don't get yourself so stressed that you freeze up when you meet 'em. Just be respectful is the main key I think. Also, obviously don't get all pda with her in front of them.

I'm always a little nervous about either meeting their parents or them meeting mine. It has gone well so far.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff