Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
What does the sweet, tender flesh of a newborn baby taste like?

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
from blue to
Henry Hobo-Master
Atheists are not the same. I fail to understand why I should ask you anything, when someone else could be completely different (in why they are Atheist and what they believe in).

To me, Atheists are wolves. Religions main purpose is to gather them under one belief structure (hence theists have the "Sheep and Shepard" relationship). I'm not saying either is good or bad... it doesn't exactly matter in this situation either.

I'm really just saying that "Ask an Atheist" doesn't exactly make any sense, now does it Mr. Wolf? The only thing you may have in common with other Atheists is the fact that you don't believe in any type of Deity officially.

Clearly what we need is a panel of atheists. What criteria should there be for the panel?

How about... not believing in a god/deity?

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
The New Wineskin
You just used two adjectives to describe the answer to your own question, dude.
The New Wineskin

Chicken.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
TheOverlordsUnderling
These questions are coming from a fellow atheist so don't feel like I'm attacking you or anything.
I'm an atheist and I'd like to answer these. For fun.
TheOverlordsUnderling
Do you have a belief about why/how we (Humans, life, existence as a whole) are/is here, or is it just good enough not to know?
It's good enough not to know.
TheOverlordsUnderling
Do you believe in evaluation?
Yes. I think people can and should evaluate their surroundings, every day. They should evaluate their life and make plans based on that evaluation.

Now I think you meant Evolution. Evolution is evident, and that's no more a 'belief' than gravity, or atoms. So if you think that people 'believe in gravity' or 'believe in atoms' then you can say I 'believe in evolution.'
TheOverlordsUnderling
Do you feel religion causes more good or bad in the world?
Bad. All the charities in the world do not make up for the avocation and approval of ignorance masquerading as knowledge.
TheOverlordsUnderling
Do you believe in: Ghosts
No.
TheOverlordsUnderling
Aliens visiting out planet
No.
TheOverlordsUnderling
UFO's
Yes. There are objects that fly and are unidentified. It's a fact.
TheOverlordsUnderling
Bigfoot
No.
TheOverlordsUnderling
or any other supernatural or unproven beings/creatures?
I think I know what you mean by 'supernatural', so No.

Noob

dh8d1

My spell check screwed me on the Evolution thing. I didn't even look at the option it gave me. The spell check I usually use is set up specifically for dyslexia and it takes into account that I may often use the right letters but put them in the wrong order. So it almost always gives me the right option the first time. Anyway......... I was just using the normal firefox spell check when I wrote that and I forgot to look closely at what it gave me.

Anyway I pretty much would have answered exactly the same as you on every question. Except for the first question.

Do you have a belief about why/how we (Humans, life, existence as a whole) are/is here, or is it just good enough not to know?

I believe that we as humans or even life in general are here as a coincidence. I think the idea that we are special is just human arrogance. That the earth is a specific distance from the sun to allow life. That the gravity is just perfect to form the planets that are necessary for life to exist . I think it's all coincidence. There are an uncountable number of planets in the universe. And I'm sure what exists on some of those would be just as amazing as life. I don't even think life it's self is special. Humans are just a group of interacting particles. We are not even the only known way that partials interact. Even a chemical reaction is an interaction of particles.

On the subject of why things exist. Well the first thing I will say on that, it that as far as I can figure "nothing" is an abstract idea. I have never seen this so called "nothing". I could search my whole life, even go into the the depths of space and I couldn't find "nothing".
Nano particles pop in and out of existence and even the emptiest of space is teaming with particles and energy. And yes I do think these these energy's created the big bang.
I also believe in a multiverse (That out universe is just one of an infinite number of universes). And to me that just adds on the possibilities and makes it more likely that we are just a meaningless happenstance.
Not to say that I would be crushed if one day science disproves that idea wrong. After all science is always finding out new things and correcting it's own mistakes. That's why I love science.

Also on the question "Do you feel religion causes more good or bad in the world?"
You wrote "Bad. All the charities in the world do not make up for the avocation and approval of ignorance masquerading as knowledge."

I will agree with that fully. Not to mention all the blood shed that it is still causing in the middle east and other parts of the world. And I would like to add that I think that most of the charities would still be there even if religion was gone. I don't buy into the idea that people need religion to have morality (obviously because I am atheist). I think, for the most part, the same people would act the same way and have the same dispositions. I think those who do charity work still would. After all, ever 'Harry Potter' has more than one charity organization attached to it.

Hallowed Hunter

dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
Aliens visiting our planet
No.

But do you believe in aliens? As is other lifeforms(possibly advanced) in other parts of the galaxy/Universe?

Familiar Smoker

The New Wineskin
Depends, was this baby breast fed? Or are we talking about fresh out of the womb baby?

Familiar Smoker

TheOverlordsUnderling
These questions are coming from a fellow atheist so don't feel like I'm attacking you or anything.
If you answer these I will too.

Do you believe in evaluation?
(I guess this one was kind of a fallow up question)

Do you feel religion causes more good or bad in the world?

Do you believe in: Ghosts, Aliens visiting out planet, UFO's, Bigfoot, or any other supernatural or unproven beings/creatures?

I don't believe there is a reason WHY we exist, if that's what you're asking. Neither do I know how life began (abiogenesis), and I'm ok with that. But humans are undoubtedly the result of evolution by natural selection.

Yes and no....like dh8d1 said, claiming to "believe" in evolution is a bit like claiming to "believe" in atoms, or galaxies, I prefer to say that I know its true, in the same way I can say that I know atoms exist.

This next one is a bit...difficult to answer...Overall I would say it has had a negative effect, which isn't to say that it hasn't had positive effects as well.

No to Ghosts and Aliens visiting earth, there are, in fact, objects, which happen to be flying, that some people cannot identify. However, I find it infinitely unlikely that any of them are extraterrestrial. No to Bigfoot, no to supernatural beings, as for unproven ones; I like to keep an open mind about this kind of thing, many of them are completely rediculous (like Nessie, and Bigfoot, etc...) others seem more probable (certain animals expected to be extinct. The Black Beast of Exmoor, which is most likely some kind of (or perhaps many different) big cats formerly kept in captivity which escaped, things like that). But giant sea serpents, and tatzelwurms? Not so much.

Familiar Smoker

Dardanos Immortalis
dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
No.

But do you believe in aliens? As is other lifeforms(possibly advanced) in other parts of the galaxy/Universe?
I believe it is extremely likely, if not a certainty.

Noob

TANRailgun
Dardanos Immortalis
dh8d1

TheOverlordsUnderling
No.

I believe it is extremely likely, if not a certainty.

As do I. I am just positive that there is no possible way that aliens could make it here. And unless science one day proves that time and space can be folded like paper, I will continue to be sure of it.

I have so many reasons why I don't believe that aliens can be visiting our planet. I hope someone gets me started. I watch way to many science shows lol.

(I really wish I could spell better. I had to dodge around so many stupid words just writing a few sentences. I WANT TO SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY. NOT WHAT I KNOW HOW TO SPELL!) crying

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
TheOverlordsUnderling
I am just positive that there is no possible way that aliens could make it here.

Okay... so you're asserting a negative claim. "X does not exist."

Why? Can you prove it, or is this just faith?
I Have a Question

What Happens when you die?

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Khalid Ibn Walid
I Have a Question

No one knows.
Khalid Ibn Walid
I Have a Question

Your body is drained of fluids, unless your will or religious beliefs say no. Then you are generally put into a casket. After that, people cry at a ceremony. Then you are put into the ground or put into a furnace. There is more crying. If you are cremated, you are put into an urn or a box and either buried, put into a vase, on a mantle, or dumped out in the ocean or on a garden.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff