Welcome to Gaia! ::

Information that is real and unbiased? Why don't you go take a look at the thousands upon thousands of succesful businesses that have Windows running on their client boxes. How about the hundreds of thousands of people that work with Windows at home.

Take a look at things like Active Directory, you'll be surprised how useful Windows can be. I am not biased towards Windows, I state for the umpteenth time that Linux is a wonderful OS. I just don't think that constantly putting down Windows is the best way to go about it. You really want to change peoples minds? Then try to speak from an unbiased point of view yourself.

I like Linux, yet i'm going to be getting my MCSE/MCSA in Windows 2003 in a few months. Why? Don't I know that Microsoft is evil and trying to eat my brain?

Of course not. I know better, because I find that the best way to set up a network is to have the OS or NOS best suited for your needs. May be Windows, may be Novell, may be Linux. It depends on the situation. Linux is not, and never will be, an end-all solution for all your problems. And neither will Windows.
Kiro LeMark

-5 points, Flamebait

Slashdot Flunky
M$ $UX

+5 points, Funny, Informative
Kiro LeMark
Of course not. I know better, because I find that the best way to set up a network is to have the OS or NOS best suited for your needs.

What I am saying is that the OS and the NOS need not be different entities, why? Isn't an OS a NOS with the N ripped out?

I see your point.

You say you see mine, i don't think so. You said you messed around with linux, but I don't think you used it enough to see how much more freedom you can have when there arent the dark, lurking pieces of your operationg system doing whon-knows-what and sucking up ram and processor time.

I liked your last post. It made me feel less like flames were being thrown around. So now I will calmly ask you exactly what you think you are gaining by using Windows. What part of it is worth the bucks, what part is worth it in your opinion?
Sorry if I seemed a bit rash earlier. Just waking up and I hadn't had my morning coffee yet wink

The difference between an OS and a NOS is pretty big, actually. It has to do alot with what and how much it can support. Windows 2000 Professional, for example, can support 2 Microprocessors, as opposed to it's more powerful cousins, Server, Advanced Server and Datacenter, which can support more and more. This is, of course, far from being the only difference.

I have to admit, most of my Linux knowledge is in theory rather than practice. I am planning on taking a few Unix courses, and perhaps studying in order to get a Linux+ cert to get the hang of it. I am very interested by Linux.

However, Windows has served me (and served me well) for the past few years. The more I learn about it, the more powerful it seems to be. Windows 2003 Server is a little gem all it's own, and makes it even easier for Net Admins to do what they have to do quickly, easily, and without much hassle.

If you study Windows a bit, you can set it up so it runs only what it needs to, when it needs to. This is one of the reasons I dislike Windows XP though. There are way too many things people simple don't use running amock. But they can be disabled/removed/put to sleep with a little tweaking. Just like installing *nix with only the components you need. You just have to customize it to fit your needs.

Again, I apoligize if I seemed at all hostile or derogatory, that wasn't my point. I've just seen way too many "I hate Windows. Use Linux!" posts. However, yours are far more eloquent and informed than most, and thus, props for that.

Just for fun, i'm running a dual boot of Windows 2000 Advanced Server and SuSE Linux. I may sound like an MS Fanboy, but i'm just trying to make people see that most of those dreaded BSODs don't come out of nowhere =p
Yay!
Sorry if I made you sound like a stubborn gates worshipper.

It's getting late here and I'm tired and cranky too... Hmm... This was all a side-effect of sleep? Maybe in part.

I'm glad we can both agree without one of us having to "Win". That is always a good thing.

I look forward the day when Microsoft is gone. But those days are not today. Yes, windows can be useful because of peoples familiarity with it. Linux supports lots of networking protocols and things, but drivers for really new hardware are experimental at best.

Windows works on everything right now, because noboy want's to make hardware unsupported by the majority. It will be interesting to see where all of this goes. See what happens. Maybe there will be a day where microsoft, free-software and hardware manufacturers unite. Maybe not. But right now it is far from stable ground.
Hehe. Agreed. I'm glad this didn't turn into a flame war. Thank god for C&T Tech Talk, where Linux / MS debates can be had without the carnage xd
I might not end up sleeping tonight... My first day of Gaia Online is more active than I thought it would be... sweatdrop Worthit though, I think. smile
Heh, I know what you mean man. I've been on Gaia since late January and it's my dirty little obsession. Think about it this way though. You got plenty of gold having an intelligent discussion. Good way to kick start a Gaia adventure wink

I'm far from being able to sleep. I woke up at 3AM (I must be lonely... doot doot doot) and i'm not going back to sleep anytime soon. So sayeth my coffee and my cigs.

EDIT: Let's cut the small talk. PM me if you want to chat bro. Against forum rules to turn these into chatty threads =p
MrLostman
Microsoft has it tough, they are the last completly proprietary major operating system (now that MacOS X is based off of free software). They don't have the manhours to make a good OS. But that doesn't let them off the hook, because they could gain from open-source development (Like OS X did) if they weren't so greedy over their own proprietary code. Shame on them. They deserve to fail. If they don't want give to the free software world, then can will be left behind by us. I don't care.

The problem with MS open sourcing:

Would people copy it? No a lot anyway, but I'm sure WINE would advance a lot faster, MS wouldn't like that.

Would people hack it easier? Yes. It is the most popular user OS right now. That means it's a bigger target. By leaving it closed source, they prevent people from being able to just look at the code and find bugs, so it makes it harder to hack, for viruses or other purposes. Linux on the other hand, is now considered Less secure than Windows in the server segment after some studies- this is because it is a better server OS and is being used more often now, it's faster and more efficient for large scalable operations.

A counter point would be that "The hacked Linux servers weren't being run by people who knew how to secure them.", and my reply would be that most end users wouldn't know how either, so they'd be up the creek.

I'm not saying MS is universally better than other OSs, but they aren't as bad as people claim. What they need is a massive rewrite of certain parts of the OS so that some of the bugs are removed.

Each OS for the task, and MS has it's tasks that, at the moment, it's good at.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I don't think MS writes bad code on purpose. What they do wrong is they rush a new OS or program to the market without sufficiently beta testing it. I hope since Longhorn is extended beta tested, is it'll be their best OS ever. If software vendors would take their time and test things carefully, there'd be fewer problems.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff