Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Phantom

8,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Generous 100
Everyone and their aunt seems to be bashing on Windows 8 and generally hating it for an entire slew of reasons. I like it. The home screen is easy to set up and maintain and it's simple to navigate.

I'm not a giant fan of Windows 8.1, but it's not awful.

I'm looking to see what other people think of the OS, as well as what you expect to see from Windows 9.

Note: I do not to any sort of heavy duty programming, and am particularly interested to see how Windows 8 handles that. 4laugh

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
To me non touch screen devices Windows 8 (Not 8.1) is a huge pain. For people with OCD it more then likely makes it go crazy when it comes to the Metro UI. I know there are 3rd part stuff out there that bring back the start menu but that is not part of the OS its self. In the end Windows 8 (Not 8.1) is for touch screen devices mainly.

Windows 8.1 is nice when it comes to combining the start menu and the Metro UI. This also brings back what people are use to with older versions of Windows and is easier to navigate with a keyboard and mouse.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I'd like to add that Microsoft are not doing Windows 9, they're going to Windows 10.

This is because in the days of Win 95 and 98, some programmers would check if either of those were running by adding something like "if win.ver=9*" with the asterisk being a wildcard. Basically if they released a Windows 9, it would seriously ******** over legacy programs and yes they exist.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Lanackse-Kanvae
I'd like to add that Microsoft are not doing Windows 9, they're going to Windows 10.

This is because in the days of Win 95 and 98, some programmers would check if either of those were running by adding something like "if win.ver=9*" with the asterisk being a wildcard. Basically if they released a Windows 9, it would seriously ******** over legacy programs and yes they exist.
I don't think those will even run on modern hardware.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Sonic Offline
Lanackse-Kanvae

I don't think those will even run on modern hardware.

I can make Diablo 1 run on my Windows 7 machine and I remember playing that on my Win98 machine.
I thought it was okay. I decided to stick with 7, though.
Avenging Eternity
Everyone and their aunt seems to be bashing on Windows 8 and generally hating it for an entire slew of reasons. I like it. The home screen is easy to set up and maintain and it's simple to navigate.

I'm looking to see what other people think of the OS, as well as what you expect to see from Windows 9.

Note: I do not to any sort of heavy duty programming, and am particularly interested to see how Windows 8 handles that. 4laugh

I don't think it's horrible, per say, just takes some getting used to since it's a little different from previous versions, which is probably why so many dislike it. Still, I much prefer, and use, Windows 7 since it's what I'm more comfortable with using.

For Windows 10, I'm hoping they'll up the amount of RAM that the OS will recognize and will go back to a user interface similar to Windows 7. I'm not a huge fan of the home screen.

Aged Gawker

I'm glad I am BACK on windows 8 actually. I tried the technical preview of Windows 10 for about 2 months. And it screwed up my entire system. I had to reinstall widows 8, I lost all my stuff. Windows 10 basically wiped out my system....its either my system can't handle windows 10 or because it was a "technical preview" maybe the cause of the crash. Nonetheless I am glad I am back on 8.1. Win10 had so many flaws, I didnt even like the start menu really, custom tiles maker does NOT work on Win10 anymore, neither does OblyTile or custom startscreen changer. So all those programs are useless on Win10. I love "custom" stuff like that...and Win10 is a joke its like anti user friendly in that way. Or at least anti customize.
Personally, I'd say stay away from it. I work at a computer repair shop and most of the computers that are coming in with problems are ones with Windows 8 or 8.1. Usually operating system problems too I might add.

We install Windows 7 on everything so I'd say that if you have the choice, just stick with Windows 7. (Less compatibility issues too)

Explorer

I like Windows 8. The only thing I kinda don't like is the traditional start menu now being full screen with the new metro UI and what not. Classic Shell solved that problem since it returns the normal start menu and after that I can use it like I used Windows 7. Sure the touch based apps and stuff are still there somewhere but nothing forces me to use them. Win8 also feels a bit snappier than Win7.

What I've seen, most of the flak that Win 8 gets, comes from the missing traditional start menu. That is the most notable change after all. What I really don't understand is people saying that it's confusing or that they have to re-learn everything. Why would anyone have to learn things again that were in Win7 if they already used that? Like I said before, nothing forces you to use the new apps or stuff and you can just use the old style interface that works better with desktops.

O.G. Sentai

I seriously disliked Windows 8 at first and I've only changed my mind of it because of my new laptop. It is easy to figure out especially with a touch screen but certainly annoying without it. I can only say it is weird because the menu is like a second desktop which can be more complicated or annoying if you don't care to have a million apps. I do like it now though but I'm going to keep my desktop on 7. ^^
I hate it. It's so hard to use and has all sorts of problems. I'm not a big windows fan to begin with
Avenging Eternity

Just want to fix something they are not doing windows 9 they jumped right to windows 10.

windows 8 sucks. to find any thing i care about i need to use the system search bar rather then the start bar.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff