Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have and operating system that operates from a disk. No hardware instalation is neccessary. The issue i'm having is setting my computer to boot from a disk instead of booting automatically into win xp. The live CD OS is called feather linux.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
ah, linux. from what i have heard. if you need help you should probably not be using a linux system. it is for more advanced people who really know what they are doing because it is quite customizable. i have never used it myself so i cant help you but other people say that linux software is not for people who need help with it.
You set the boot order to boot from the cdrom first in BIOS, instead of from your hdd.
gothicmorman
ah, linux. from what i have heard. if you need help you should probably not be using a linux system. it is for more advanced people who really know what they are doing because it is quite customizable. i have never used it myself so i cant help you but other people say that linux software is not for people who need help with it.

if that was the case than how, pray tell, would anybody learn it?
gothicmorman

You would do yourself good to answer the question being asked, hun.

Perfect Regular

Also make sure you wrote the CD correctly. The proper way to do this is to "Burn ISO Image" or similar option in your CD recording software.

To check this has been done correctly, open the CD in Windows and make sure there is more than one file in there.
When you first turn your computer on you will need to tap a button in order to enter BIOS it should say so somewhere when you first turn it on.

In phonix BIOS you have to press F2

In award BIOS's you have to press "Del"

I dunno the others however O_o Compaq is F12 I think
Then under and "advanced" option you will need to alter the Boot order of ou computer so that CD-ROM is enabled and is placed in front of your Hardrive in this order... so it will check your computers CD-ROM drive for OS's before it looks at your harddrive.
Darkphantom
When you first turn your computer on you will need to tap a button in order to enter BIOS it should say so somewhere when you first turn it on.

In phonix BIOS you have to press F2

In award BIOS's you have to press "Del"

I dunno the others however O_o Compaq is F12 I think
Then under and "advanced" option you will need to alter the Boot order of ou computer so that CD-ROM is enabled and is placed in front of your Hardrive in this order... so it will check your computers CD-ROM drive for OS's before it looks at your harddrive.

The key to enter bios is whatever was programmed, I've had phonix bios's that used delete.

Most self built pc's use delete though, usually only OEM's change it.
If you have trouble making the system boot to the CD first, Knoppix LiveCD includes floppy-boot image that you make a floppy from, then set floppy as your first boot. The floppy then routes you to the CD. This is for systems whose older BIOS didn't implement 'El Torito' bootable CD drivers.
thx fer the help...my bios are set to boot from the cd-rom but it still won't work...i also have another question what's the difference between a torrent file and a regular one?
Malbs
thx fer the help...my bios are set to boot from the cd-rom but it still won't work...i also have another question what's the difference between a torrent file and a regular one?

It all depends on the nature of what you mean. A torrent file is a file associated with BitTorrent which is a sort of p2p file trading method. Users connect to each other directly in order to upload/download pieces of the file. You and I can have completely different parts of the file, and then send them to each other and many others. Unlike Kazaa and other filesharing clients, you don't download the file from beginning to end, you get it in random chunks. And also the more you upload, the better the download ( in some cases ).
This may be off topic a tad, but never use Linspire. It takes what it wants from other partitions... *evil glare*

Yes so go into BIOS before your computer boots into WinXP and change the boot order to like: CD-ROM, HD1, Floppy or something. BIOs is that black screen with the white letters at the very beginning.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff