I'm not a total idiot when It comes to computers
But I'm a windows 98 child and Graphics child

So we have XP on this one computer Home Edition with Service Pack 2

Comp lives up to the XP needs no problem

Now heres the problem
I need to Format and Reinstall
It doesnt have a Factory Restore Option like the HP's do
But it came with a window XP CD

Now I Figuerd pop in the CD start the Install and It should give me an option to Format Like Windows 98 Does but alas no.... Wont even let me start the Install because the CD I have for XP has Service Pack 1 and Not 2

So ....
No Factory Restore
No way to use the CD ( THAT I KNOW OF ) At this moment

So Help? Please?
this isnt my area here
What do you mean it won't let you start the install? What should happen is, you should restart the computer with your CD-ROM set as first boot device, it should come up with press any key to boot from CD.

Then you should be able to follow the instructions in either formatting the drive, or deleting the exisiting partition and recreating it.
[Broken Hope]
What do you mean it won't let you start the install? What should happen is, you should restart the computer with your CD-ROM set as first boot device, it should come up with press any key to boot from CD.

Then you should be able to follow the instructions in either formatting the drive, or deleting the exisiting partition and recreating it.

Right well I do so
and like I said

It wont let the install run
It says and I quote

Quote:
the Version of Windows XP you are attempting to install is older then the Version currently on your computer Please Try again
WARNING
If you wish to delete the current Windows XP some files will not continue to work
WARNING

also thanks for answering sweatdrop
It seems to be trying to do a repair install, does it not give an option to delete the partition?

The other thing you could do, select to load the recovery console and format the drive in there, then boot back to the CD and then install windows then.
[Broken Hope]
It seems to be trying to do a repair install, does it not give an option to delete the partition?

The other thing you could do, select to load the recovery console and format the drive in there, then boot back to the CD and then install windows then.

No Option to delete the partion but
wouldnt deleting the Partition meaning deleting the built in system files
or would I get that back when I re install XP

It being a System Partition and all..

and I'll try the other option
Thanks again
I need sleep its 5 am I'll check in on this threat in the morning

Any advice you can give would be greatful

such as

Is Deleting a System Partition a Bad thing? or if i reinstall windows XP will I get the system files back? ( hardware configs and such )

I have A Built in Vid Card if that helps at all..
RAM im not sure about unless you wish to know the mb's

umm
I'm far to tired to think of anything else

Again Thanks
[Mouse]
I need sleep its 5 am I'll check in on this threat in the morning

Any advice you can give would be greatful

such as

Is Deleting a System Partition a Bad thing? or if i reinstall windows XP will I get the system files back? ( hardware configs and such )

I have A Built in Vid Card if that helps at all..
RAM im not sure about unless you wish to know the mb's

umm
I'm far to tired to think of anything else

Again Thanks

Deleting a system partition isn't bad, all that it means by being a system partition is that it has an OS installed, but since you are trying to format and reinstall your OS, it doesn't matter, all deleting the patition will do is nuke the OS and allow you to reformat.

Though, you have backed up all your documents and such first right? Because formatting will remove EVERYTHING from the drive.

You should have the drivers for your hardware downloaded and saved onto a CD or something first though, because XP may not include drivers for all of your hardware.
I've only ever seen that message about the older version of Windows when the CD is inserted while the OS is running. You will not receive that error when booting from the CD. I'm guessing that is the case, not booted from the CD.
ok thanks a lot guys

Figuerd it out
Turns out that the XP cd I was using has update files

Even though It clearly says on the CD Full install and not update

so anyway went to the store where we got the computer and bitched and moaned got a full edition of XP Home Free xd

And now its working
I'm deleting the partion and formating as we speak

Again
thanks

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items