Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Regular

TL;DR - My router was giving me issues and now with installing dd-wrt, I am a happy man

Well, we have this router, a Linksys WRT54GS v2, and it was such a pain in the a**, since it kept disconnecting us, not connecting to the internet, and turning off it's wireless automatically. Well, I was like, hm, are there any other firmware I can use, so I googled it, and sure enough, found Sveasoft (freeman basic) firmware that supported my router. It worked for a little while, until it started refusing wireless connections every once in a while, and yesterday night was at it's worst. s**t. Well, I downloaded dd-wrt, read it's wikis, started the process, sent a few commands over telnet (don't judge me, it was just a quick way of doing things), and sure enough, it started working. And boy, do I love the interface. Even better, I had no problems from it so far by resetting the router (it even went back to the page after resetting automatically, without me having to reload the page every 5 seconds!), forwarding ports, and now, today, am going to test if it will stop bitching about a game I play (Project Blackout), and if it will allow the game to connect to the internet normally, instead of disconnecting it after a minute.
I am a happy man.
try getting a b/g/n router

Dedicated Man-Lover

9,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
***completely ******** off topic***

I ******** love your signature. That is all.

***returning to topic***

lol dd-wrt. Personally, I don't see any reason to bother upgrading to it on my rig, because if it comes down to it I can just filter all my traffic through my computer on a second scope, or run a VM and filter my traffic through it.

Witty Regular

Sonic Offline
***completely ******** off topic***

I ******** love your signature. That is all.

***returning to topic***

lol dd-wrt. Personally, I don't see any reason to bother upgrading to it on my rig, because if it comes down to it I can just filter all my traffic through my computer on a second scope, or run a VM and filter my traffic through it.

My signature is pushing the limits (500 exactly in length lol ), and I love that owl.

Eh, I decided to upgrade to it ever since that other default firmware started being a whore and not letting it connect to the internet via DCHP, so I was like, ******** it, might as well get some new firmware. I got that sveasoft freeman basic firmware, and it was alright, until it started disconnecting like a whore it is, so now here I am, praising dd-wrt for doing such a good job.. for now.

Witty Regular

yungstunna3613

I think it is b/g/n, I just have to check (unless of course, you did the homework, and saw that the router is not b/g/n, in which I would tell you that you have too much time on your hands, but okay.)

8,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Assohol
yungstunna3613

I think it is b/g/n, I just have to check (unless of course, you did the homework, and saw that the router is not b/g/n, in which I would tell you that you have too much time on your hands, but okay.)
The Linksys WRT54GS v2 is a b/g router, it predates even the pre-N hardware. You can tell because the model name: WRT (Wireless Router) 54 (54mbps) G (802.11g) S (SpeedBooster feature).

Also, anyone involved in the alternate router firmware community is intimately familiar with the WRT54G series of routers. (I spent a couple years developing custom firmwares based on OpenWRT.)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPo2dDAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wKc0IAIf+wFOZa1gVLeNm614i44An
c1Xgx0TAAywDaXDCUJuVoocPReCjxGPAL/F5pwnpEffspx1N/v0y8GFK94Se5C1u
uDLs2Q6oYfotj9njwfIIy4x2moU6ZTPO8YKdjJdnmCeTefMtqo0IunZovOCu5jgS
z++zGMrDgnWuM8G1kgzyPlVEau35b0snnW1juKM3OPQgixO42/g73E+LtQFZtjXX
IoJ/mmLSHkMAEA6lgJrsem8iEAwhMkw/0VbCWIXI8GqO99AUcGp9Ymwv2x0oMDtc
XU3uXTBWtYFsh0UI0IyDTGYHLuTirMw/tCxTEzjGqtESfzCzYUQICpK8fcz2N88=
=5zzY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Witty Regular

Sitwon
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Assohol
yungstunna3613

The Linksys WRT54GS v2 is a b/g router, it predates even the pre-N hardware. You can tell because the model name: WRT (Wireless Router) 54 (54mbps) G (802.11g) S (SpeedBooster feature).

Also, anyone involved in the alternate router firmware community is intimately familiar with the WRT54G series of routers. (I spent a couple years developing custom firmwares based on OpenWRT.)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPo2dDAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wKc0IAIf+wFOZa1gVLeNm614i44An
c1Xgx0TAAywDaXDCUJuVoocPReCjxGPAL/F5pwnpEffspx1N/v0y8GFK94Se5C1u
uDLs2Q6oYfotj9njwfIIy4x2moU6ZTPO8YKdjJdnmCeTefMtqo0IunZovOCu5jgS
z++zGMrDgnWuM8G1kgzyPlVEau35b0snnW1juKM3OPQgixO42/g73E+LtQFZtjXX
IoJ/mmLSHkMAEA6lgJrsem8iEAwhMkw/0VbCWIXI8GqO99AUcGp9Ymwv2x0oMDtc
XU3uXTBWtYFsh0UI0IyDTGYHLuTirMw/tCxTEzjGqtESfzCzYUQICpK8fcz2N88=
=5zzY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Oic.
Well, I'm kinda new to the firmware world, unless typing lots of if and while loops for the Arduino is one of them...
I really would do some research, but my PC got taken away, and I really get only like 30 minutes on the library PCs. Besides, that sorta stuff makes my brain hurt.. until I actually start my research marathons (which usually last 3-9 hours), which won't be easy when even at your freshman year they barrage you with lots of busy work.
-sigh- I really need to get a PC.
Anyways, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff