Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Shapeshifter

12,250 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Millionaire 200
So, my hard drive failed a few months back on my dell laptop. Rather than replace the hard drive and having to buy windows again, I was given a refurbished laptop to hold me over until I could eventually get a better computer.

So the dell sat around forgotten for a while.

Now that I'm working a bit more, I figured I could replace the harddrive and see if I could install windows from a disk my mom had from her computer....it didn't work(it goes to a black screen after it says loading windows and stays there).

Anywho, I remembered that I had a drive from my old acer packed away and I dug it out this morning and put it in.

It still loads up as an acer in the dell computer.

is there a way to change it/reformat it or something to dell without losing the files(pictures, music, games) that are on it?

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Shadowolf~Forever
{.....}

is there a way to change it/reformat it or something to dell without losing the files(pictures, music, games) that are on it?

When you format a drive, it will essentially remove EVERYTHING on it including all of your files.

What do you mean by "change it"?

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
so you were able to pull a hard drive configured with acer hardware and put it into a dell hardware? should've bluescreen'd on boot unless they shared similar equipment.

what do you mean by "loads up"? the windows splash/desktop wallpaper? the computer properties information?

if the computer is in working order you could always backup your files through: internet cloud service (google drive, dropbox, etc) flash drive, burning them to a recordable/rewritable dvd. if not place it in a usb enclosure and connect it to another computer.

then reformat it and preferably create a fresh clean installation of windows (driver hunting may be an issue unless you have the cds it came with)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff