Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am searching for good programs that makes sprites that wont be a problem with animating.

Pure-hearted Bunny

13,575 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image

Don't Forget to Love

I generally use MSPaint to make sprites and Gimp to animate but I'm sure others have much better tips~
But what I do works for me so it all depends on what you like

I'll Always be Your Vanilla

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
Gold Hearted Bunny
User Image

Don't Forget to Love

I generally use MSPaint to make sprites and Gimp to animate but I'm sure others have much better tips~
But what I do works for me so it all depends on what you like

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Lucky~! You look adorable~! cat_whee

@Topic: I agree with Paint... It's the only program I know where you can use solid pixels... Whenever I edit sprites (I'm too lazy to make my own) I usually use Paint to do so... Then after making a few poses, I make an animation of them in ImageReady (old program that comes with old Photoshop)... cat_smile

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Depending entirely on your goals for making sprites, and the style you are after, you can go with paint for the direct approach, but if you want anything complex or intricate in colors and design, you better be ready to build your palette or befriend the eye dropper tool.

I, personally, would suggest photoshop, due to the wider breadth of tools available, and more detailed ability to interact, especially if you are animating. Use of layers to reference frames of animation against each other is great, before investing in actually compiling an animation. It also will give you an easier time making your palette, and I find is easier to work with for the sake of transparencies. Just make sure you use a hard edge drawing tool. You can use the pencil at 1 pixel to get as much detail as needed.

Pure-hearted Bunny

13,575 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
YunaSama

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Lucky~! You look adorable~! cat_whee

@Topic: I agree with Paint... It's the only program I know where you can use solid pixels... Whenever I edit sprites (I'm too lazy to make my own) I usually use Paint to do so... Then after making a few poses, I make an animation of them in ImageReady (old program that comes with old Photoshop)... cat_smile

User Image

Don't Forget to Love

Aww, thank you Yuna! n . n ♡ How are youu~?

On topic as well, Yuna has a good point.
Paint lets you work with full pixels and has great potential for any kind of sprite creation
Animating is harder.
Much harder imo. I save different frames as files, and then animate the hard way with Gimp.
I wonder if Image Ready is better.
I could probably pull my Macromedia Flash out from somewhere but I'd have to learn how to work with it again.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
Gold Hearted Bunny
YunaSama

User Image

Don't Forget to Love

Aww, thank you Yuna! n . n ♡ How are youu~?

On topic as well, Yuna has a good point.
Paint lets you work with full pixels and has great potential for any kind of sprite creation
Animating is harder.
Much harder imo. I save different frames as files, and then animate the hard way with Gimp.
I wonder if Image Ready is better.
I could probably pull my Macromedia Flash out from somewhere but I'd have to learn how to work with it again.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I'm good... I'm about to go to bed now... Had a 1,5 hour snuggle session with my dear little Sora (he's really getting old now)... And you? gaia_kittenstar

I have Paint and Photoshop and Photoshop doesn't give you clear hard pixels like Paint does... Making pixel art in Photoshop is like playing a SNES on a HD TV... It's blurry and it sucks... cat_neutral

I'm not familiar with Gimp... ImageReady is the only program that can animate I have... I usually just over all files and just switch the layers on/off one by one frame after frame... It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it... cat_sweatdrop

Pure-hearted Bunny

13,575 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
YunaSama

User Image

Don't Forget to Love

Awww snuggles~
<3
He looks so happy

Just resizing sprites in Photoshop ruins their structure ; . ;

Gimp makes me a little sad sometimes. It's not bad but so close to Photoshop I expect one result and get something completely different

Hopefully we're not derailing the topic~

Timid Bunny

Friendly Explorer

6,400 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If you're looking for game developer's choice, I'd suggest Aseprite.

Everyday Cat

I used Photoshop + Unfreez (free and super easy to use), but GIMP is also acceptable. The new MSPaint is okay IF you don't need to have a transparent background.
What about Adobe fireworks?

Clocksys's Princess

Fanatical Partygoer

11,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I recommend either GIMP, Photoshop, Fireworks work too. Or you can be totes basic and use mspaint.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff