Welcome to Gaia! ::

Five_powered_and_basics
Should I go with a 760? how much better is that? It's more expensive, maybe it's a lot better!
NVIDIA did the confusing thing and released a new design as a lower-number unit from the 700 series. The 750 is actually an 800-series card. The 750Ti is actually cheaper and more powerful for it price. The 760 is only very slightly more powerful. Certainly not worth the extra $100, and it requires a more powerful power supply, to boot.
psychic stalker
Five_powered_and_basics
Should I go with a 760? how much better is that? It's more expensive, maybe it's a lot better!
NVIDIA did the confusing thing and released a new design as a lower-number unit from the 700 series. The 750 is actually an 800-series card. The 750Ti is actually cheaper and more powerful for it price. The 760 is only very slightly more powerful. Certainly not worth the extra $100, and it requires a more powerful power supply, to boot.
Okay then, so you'd say 750Ti is probably my best bet (provided I don't go crazy and get an i7 extreme/1000W PSU etc.)?

Sounds good!

Wait a minute! Do I have to buy Windows again, or can I just... move it? Can I move it?!
Five_powered_and_basics
Wait a minute! Do I have to buy Windows again, or can I just... move it? Can I move it?!
I'm not the one to ask. I haven't used Windows in almost 15 years.
psychic stalker
Five_powered_and_basics
I'm not the one to ask. I haven't used Windows in almost 15 years.
Wooooow! And I'm sure you don't use iOS either... well, I'd assume not.

Are you running Linux? Wow this is amazing

you're like A LEGEND!!!!!

And--last question I promise(not really actually. not at all): I'll proooobably grab a 750Ti soon. After that maybe the mobo/CPU. Do you think a 3.4 i5 will be a better buy than a 3.5/3.6 i3? I dunno if i5 will be overkill for MMOs. But some other peeps say I can't have too much processing power for them...
Five_powered_and_basics
Do you think a 3.4 i5 will be a better buy than a 3.5/3.6 i3?
Quad-core would be better than dual-core. Other than that, I don't think the differences matter.
psychic stalker
Five_powered_and_basics
Do you think a 3.4 i5 will be a better buy than a 3.5/3.6 i3?
Quad-core would be better than dual-core. Other than that, I don't think the differences matter.
So there's no reason I'd go for higher speed, really?

It seems like the narrowed list is:

i5 Haswell 3.2GHz (since it's the cheapest of the new generations)
GTX 750Ti 2GB
Is there a stark difference between Samsung 840 evo and 840 pro? I have an EVO on my list now, and going by the prices I'll probably keep it that way. Unless pro is significantly better.. but IDK if I'd notice anyway. xD

As for the motherboard, I hear z87 is where I wanna be. I'm looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130706

Admittedly I have no idea where the storage drive goes sweatdrop is their compatibility like GPUs where basically every modern mobo has a slot for at least one?
Five_powered_and_basics
Is there a stark difference between Samsung 840 evo and 840 pro? I have an EVO on my list now, and going by the prices I'll probably keep it that way. Unless pro is significantly better.. but IDK if I'd notice anyway. xD
The EVO is CRAP. From all of the 840 drives, the only ones that are even worth looking at are the 840 Pro Series. NONE of their other drives are worth a ******** cent.
Five_powered_and_basics
Admittedly I have no idea where the storage drive goes sweatdrop is their compatibility like GPUs where basically every modern mobo has a slot for at least one?
Every motherboard has at least two SATA ports. All disk drives these days are SATA drives.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
If you want to keep your current build I say upgrade the GPU. GTX760 isa good way to go if you want a higher end GPU.

If you prefer to build a PC from the ground up look into a aftermarket cooler. From what I have heard is that the Haswell CPUs by intel have heat problems due to cheap thermal paste that is used for the heat spreader
Resistance_2012
If you want to keep your current build I say upgrade the GPU. GTX760 isa good way to go if you want a higher end GPU.
The 750 Ti is very nearly the same performance, and it's a newer generation card, and it's $100 cheaper. That's why I recommend it.
Resistance_2012
If you prefer to build a PC from the ground up look into a aftermarket cooler. From what I have heard is that the Haswell CPUs by intel have heat problems due to cheap thermal paste that is used for the heat spreader
You know you can change the thermal paste on the stock heatsink, right?

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
psychic stalker
I'm not talking about the heatsink as in the heat sink and fan I am taking the metal plate that pulls the heat away from the CPU that the CPU heatsink and fan touch
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
I'm not talking about the heatsink as in the heat sink and fan I am taking the metal plate that pulls the heat away from the CPU that the CPU heatsink and fan touch
You mean the heat spreader? The thing that's permanently epoxied to the CPU and that can't be removed or modified without damaging the CPU?

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
You mean the heat spreader? The thing that's permanently epoxied to the CPU and that can't be removed or modified without damaging the CPU?
There's videos on youtube people removing the heat spreader with out damaging the CPU just gotta be very careful.
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
There's videos on youtube people removing the heat spreader with out damaging the CPU just gotta be very careful.
Just because there are people on youtube doing stupid, reckless things doesn't mean it's worth doing or even a good idea in the first place.

And you certainly should never tell people to do it who are just learning about these things.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
Just because there are people on youtube doing stupid, reckless things doesn't mean it's worth doing or even a good idea in the first place.

And you certainly should never tell people to do it who are just learning about these things.

Resistance_2012

I never told anyone to do it I said that Haswell CPUs are known to run hot because of the bad thermal paste on the heat spreader.

Also I would never recommend doing it because of very the high chances of damaging the CPU
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012
psychic stalker
Resistance_2012

Resistance_2012

I never told anyone to do it I said that Haswell CPUs are known to run hot because of the bad thermal paste on the heat spreader.

Also I would never recommend doing it because of very the high chances of damaging the CPU

Its actually the thermal material the introduced within Ivy

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces