Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Raider

I don't have a smartphone. I don't really use my phone but to make phone calls or send text messages. I am a college student, so I constantly have access to wifi. (I am a Computer Science major so I always have my laptop with me). I haven't found a need to spend money on a data plan, when I can get access the internet already. That being said I do know a bunch of people who also don't have smartphones. Some of the reasons I have gotten from them are:
-"If I had one, then I would have to constantly looking up information for my family. Such as on road trips, if we are wondering something my sister with her smartphone will have to look it up"
-"I don't have time to worry about all the social components that come with having a smart phone, I have college to focus on"

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I used a Samsung Alias 2 from 2008 to 2010, liked it quite a bit. Went to the Samsung Intensity 2, which turned out to be a bit worse actually. lower call quality, the sliding got loose over time... butt dialing was an issue, then in 2012 We got the Galaxy Nexus. Our bill (3 smartphones) shot up to 215$ or so in addition to the cost of one of the phones (because I didn't have my upgrade yet) and the cost of a microcell. I think the Nexus had a poor radio/antenna, but we just put up with it. I got into various versions of android and for awhile was on a ROM called JellyBelly. Eventually decided to go on to CyanogenMod...
Anyway when our Verizon contract was up this year, we were ready. We ditched them and had been buying our next phone, the Nexus 5, from Google for the past few months. Went with Tmobile and are enjoying a 110$/mo bill now.

I call, I text, I play some games on it, I use it as a portable media player... I use it for GPS for geocaching or simply for directions sometimes. Use it to pay where I can (yay, NFC) and use Google Keep to remember things like grocery lists, passwords, schedules. (Oh, also, using the flash as a flashlight a good bit)
I don't do social garbage like twitter or facebook, and I'm not constantly checking my phone.

I have a friend who does not own a smartphone, but I haven't asked him if he has a reason for that recently. I imagine it might be because he doesn't have a job yet and his dad pays their phone bill, but I'm not sure.

Newbie Noob

I just have a flip phone and a tablet.

There are times when having a smart phone is useful, but not enough for me to justify the extreme price of a data plan. Two dumb phones are $35 bucks a month, while a single smart phone is closer to $100 for one.

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
i plan to get a new (old) smartphone when freedompop has a good phone offer going on. i'm currently on metropcs with an android phone from like 3 years ago on the unlimited talk and text plan. i really hate my current phone because its so slow and dies quickly even though i hardly use it.

3,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Voter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I also don't use a smartphone as my main phone. I've been using a Samsung Intensity for almost the past 5 years. And you know what, I still prefer it to any smartphone for these two reasons:

1. Having the security of knowing that no one would ever want to steal that piece of crap in the first place.

2. Battery banks aside: I have yet to see a smartphone to last almost an entire week while on standby.

So yeah, it doesn't bother me much. But I also have a android phone just for playing around. .
Caustic Fox
I also don't use a smartphone as my main phone. I've been using a Samsung Intensity for almost the past 5 years. And you know what, I still prefer it to any smartphone for these two reasons:

1. Having the security of knowing that no one would ever want to steal that piece of crap in the first place.

2. Battery banks aside: I have yet to see a smartphone to last almost an entire week while on standby.

So yeah, it doesn't bother me much. But I also have a android phone just for playing around. .

I understand with the whole battery issues. It annoys me so much that my battery dies even when I do not use it regularly. I plan to downgrade to an old flip phone sitting in my room from when I was 17 years old. I miss it and it lasts for days without charge.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff