Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

After the encounter with "Lady Greed", seeing her and what she was, and all the thoughts that had come rushing afterwards... Arden had finally broken under the pressure. Without thinking, he'd fled from the Pantheon despite the obvious disgruntlement of his host, and though teeth had sunk deep into his mind until he'd staggered from the pain, the marine was on a mission. He wouldn't be deterred, no matter how much Bazyli mentally tore at him and sent waves of agony flaring down his spine. Reluctantly, the god withdrew, but not without hissing some promise that Arden would regret getting himself into whatever mess he was undoubtedly running headlong into.

Where he was walking, he didn't know. He'd picked a direction and ran with it--quite literally for some time until eventually a stab in his side forced him to slow. Those walls had been closing in on him, trying to trap him so he could die quietly on the god's terms. He couldn't handle that, not right now. Minutes passed, probably hours, and the soldier kept going with an aimless, mindless sort of drive.

Of all things he expected to find, the town had not been one of them.

Basic curiosity was enough to overload his numbed senses, and his feet eventually slowed even as he slowly, uncertainly began to walk among the buildings. Buildings... This was a city? So close, all this time? If only he'd found this place first-- Arden cut off the thought even as Bazyli made to encourage it.

You might have lived.

Gritting his teeth, the man began to search for signs of... well, anyone. He knew he would stick out from the inhabitants here in his armored Federation suit, but it didn't do much to deter him. Someone, anyone would be good to see right now. Assuming this place had done all right during those weeks of hell that had tried to tear this planet apart...

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Having been forcibly removed from Neva's dwelling a few days before - the boy was well enough to wander on his own and Viira had recovered completely - Ashanti was not pleased. Not at all. Viira was proving to be a far more stubborn and willful mortal then he would have liked, and his lacking the influence to wear her down bit by bit frustrated him. In fact, the only thing that seemed to work was a shifting between his spheres of personality. A god with two faces, Ashanti naturally slid between the harsher, drier personality and the milder, gentler facet. And that, experimentation had revealed, struck the mortal offbalance, sewed doubt in her heart and allowed the sands of his being to slip further into her soul.

Which was all well and good but being able to connect more completely to the core of your host still didn't mean you had the power to force that core, only be more in tune with thoughts and emotions.... to more easily manipulate. And that suited him just fine. If he could not sear her into obedience, he could mold her into what he wanted - inside and out. Hmph.

"Oh stop brooding and plotting you overgrown dust storm." Viira grumbled loudly as she wandered through the streets, trying to figure out where they would stay this 'night'. Night, for them, had become a routine of 'sleep' and 'not sleep'. With 'not sleep', of course, being daytime. "Is there any where in particular you fancy my resting tonight, sand flea?"

He roiled up against that tone of voice, the hot, scorching touch of his mind against Viira making her wince, You will refer to me as Lord, Viira, or master. Whichever you prefer. And yes, I want a proper palace bedroom... but, alas, you lack the resourcefulness to find me such a place.

Despite the ache behind her eyes, Viira grinned. Harassing the god within her as a means of retribution for his intrusion had become a bit of a game to her - albeit a sadistic game. Though, to her mind, she might be slated for oblivion, but that sure as hell didn't mean she'd go without leaving her mark. And as long as she was able to - he'd remain locked up like a child in that corner of her mind that he'd 'conquered'.

"I prefer sand flea. Or Ashanti. You're in my body yet, there, Desert. And I have a say in what happens." At his comment about a proper palace bed, she laughed. Really? It never ceased to amaze her how much of a brat this so-called god was. He sounded like a spoiled child with an overblown sense of importance more often then not. "Sorry, no royal beds for you. But a bath or a swim sounds good... I know the townsfolk said there's a stream that runs nearby..."

He lurched at the mention of water and strained against her consciousness, seething at the smug sense of satisfaction she seemed to garner at playing upon his most obvious phobia. Water. He hated it. Loathed it with a passion. Everything was so much better off bone dry in his opinion.

She stopped when he shoved against her, a more forceful push this time and frowned, shoving back against him as a sibling might shove his rival. An rapid-fire exchange of insults and threats followed, with the result that an onlooker might think she had snapped.

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

Stop. The god sensed another of his kin nearby before Arden could spot or hear the woman talking, and so the man ignored him. Fangs plunged into the side of his throat, into that messy scar tissue and he flinched despite himself, stumbling to the side.

That was when he caught sight of the woman with the scar on her face, arguing loudly to the empty air around her as though someone was holding a heated conversation with her.

It was an eerily familiar scene, and he felt himself stiffen slightly despite his better judgment. Not waiting to hear what Bazyli had to say, he slowly approached the woman, his steps slightly cautious, but unafraid.

"Ma'am?" It was polite, if awkward, and he straightened his broad shoulders to look at her for a moment. He looked like hell, and felt like it, too, but continued on as though there was nothing amiss. "Are you all right...?"

She'll look like you, soon enough. The god offered with mocking indifference, and his host stiffened visibly at the knowledge. Bazyli seized the opportunity--and Arden's tongue.

"You will be able to enjoy silencing her more efficiently soon enough." It was a dry, hollow sound, and a rasping chuckle rolled just underneath the words. "I did not expect my host's fumbling to turn up something worthy of attention..."

Arden just grimaced.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
"I said shut up, you imperious basta-" She blinked when someone spoke, having been too involved in her own internal argument to notice the other's approach, and tilted her head, "Eh? Besides having a rock that think it's a god stuck to my mouth, I'm alright. You should be asking that of yourself, however, soldier - you look like I did a few weeks back. Captain Viira. Do you have a name?"

You are not a captain. You are a vessel for a greater being, Viira. You would do well to reme-

"I told you to shut up Ashanti." She rumbled, a little more forcefully this time, and crossed her arms as she glared at nothing in particular, "And I am a Captain. Of the Stormseed. So stop blowing hot air down my spine and-"

It seemed a pattern of being cut off was being established for Viira's words were broken into by Famine's haughty remark. Her brow arched at that, "Excuse me?" Her surprise at the other's remark allowed Ashanti the chance to surge forward, as he recognized one of his kin, "Not fast enough."

The extreme frown that had twisted her face as the words, dry and strong, had answered Bazyli quickly contorted again into another expression - that of irritation. Ashanti was weak, yet, having overtaxed himself with earlier attempts at to strut about the devilish Winter. Fuming, the god railed against Viira and she curled forward, eyes fluttering shut as the sensation of scorching sand cut across her back. Hissing with pain, she was forced a step forward but shook her head, determined not to give in. Every whiplash would make her stronger - she'd been through worse - or so she believed.

Ashanti's remark, however, made her laugh bitterly and she glanced at Arden, "Apparently he's 'certainly worthy of your attention. Only a fool would fail to recognize that fact.'"

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

A captain! Arden found felt his hopes soar instinctively to find he'd discovered someone of military rank, and his superior, besides. Well. Technically. A rock that thought it was a god... Immediately, whatever eagerness he felt crashed just as soundly and thoroughly as his vessel had all those months ago.

To his horror and Bazyli's endless amusement, a dry, masculine voice took over her own briefly, and Arden watched uncertainly as the woman struggled to control herself fully. It looked... painful almost, not unlike the treatment Bazyli had forced him to suffer through only seconds ago. But why hadn't he done that before now?

Using pain to break you down would never obtain the humiliated results I strive for. The god said simply, and the man almost wished he hadn't thought about it.

Ashanti... The marine shook his head almost vehemently at the woman's last words, not choosing to dwell on what she'd called the god. "His attention, perhaps, but not mine..." A pause. "...I'm sorry to see you're in the same situation."

He would straighten more formally, offering a salute. "Arden Valkov of the Federation Marines. Stormseed...?" It was nothing he'd ever heard of before, but that was to be expected.

"Bazyli, the Hollow Mouth of Famine. It is good to find a brother at last who's unafraid to keep the pecking order as it should be." There was thin and reedy laughter before Arden fought for control again.

He noted grimly that Bazyli let him take it, rather than being driven back.

"I didn't know if there'd still be people alive here, Captain. I saw the city, and thought I'd investigate." His brows cinched with concern. "Are there... others, with gems?" And if so, were they all so cruel?

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
"I didn't have much choice in the matter..." Viira replied sourly, "From what I pieced together, I was the object of a cruel joke." That, at least, was something she and Ashanti could agree upon. She nodded at his question, "Aye. Stormseed, one of the largest Cityships of the Korinth... or rather, she was. Some sort of cataclysm destroyed my home and with it, the vast seas I called home. My crew is mostly dead now..." Her gaze dropped, the deaths of a great many people weighing heavily on her mind. Even now, she still blamed herself for the tragedy... for the lack of survival. She'd tried so hard and yet, in the end, only she and the boy had escaped.

Fate was a fickle and cruel thing.

I disagree. Fate is an ally. You are simply too stupid to see beyond your own limitations. Ashanti's comment cut across Viira's saddness and she grimaced, not in pain but in anger. Her grief was a private thing... she lost friends, family... lover.

She approached the other host then, holding a hand out as she offered a weary smile - showing perhaps a hint of the storm she'd weathered in coming to this place. Her stride was confident and her gaze even as she regarded Famine, a sneer playing across her lips, "If you are Famine, then I owe you no courtesy. My people starved before we found shelter in the great tunnels, your touch killed many." Expression hard, it took a minute for the anger to subside when she realized Arden spoke once more - it was so disorienting to speak to two souls that shared the same body.

Silence! Hold your tongue, fool! You speak to my kin! Her mouth closed slowly, as if being forced against her will, and she snorted, finally letting the god silence her for a moment. If nothing else, he actually seemed excited. It was odd, that instant switch between sweet and sour... "Famine? One of the Seven, then, and not a brother but an ally. I am Desert... or I will be. When I am able, at last, to wear away this pitiful flesh into something more appropriate."

Okay. That was enough. Viira's frown deepened as she snapped at him mentally, I am not piece of pitiful flesh! Without me, you'd still be a rock and Neva would have crushed you! Gods, why'd I get stuck with you? You're insufferable.

Her (well aimed) barb, however, fell by the wayside as Desert and Viira alike registered Arden's question. And, for once, the two were in complete agreement, allowing the Captain to seize control once more, though her voice fluctuated between hers and Ashanti's as they spoke, returning the salute with one of her own, "There is one, though she is no longer bound by a gem as you and he are," there was a brief pause at the second pronoun, as if the two struggled to speak their point of view, "Winter. Neva. The cold-hearted she-bear of the frozen wastes. Fit not for this company, I look forward to the time when we can force feed her her own icicles."

A grimace, made all the more potent by shared intent, twisted Viira's face into something awful. The Captain spat.

Neither Desert nor Captain seemed to hold much like for the goddess, though whether Ashanti's ire was rooted in being kicked out and bested several times was of less obvious nature.

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

A frown creased the haggard lines on his face when she spoke of a joke, and it only hardened further when she recalled a tale that was similar to his own. The word Cityship caught his attention raptly, and he had to wonder if she'd scoured the darker corners of space... or if she was referring to one of the vessels they'd learned about, the ones that sailed upon the water. "Mine as well." The man said, quiet but grim. "Took us straight out of the skies. ...No one survived but me."

Her sorrowful expression suddenly twisted, and he could almost peg what was going on; the god was likely conversing with her. It was a strange, but morbidly interesting thing to watch. He'd never met another host before, he realized belatedly, and it somehow helped to make him feel less of an outcast.

He'd have never wished this fate upon anyone.

Arden took her hand awkwardly, but his grip was strong and firm. As she addressed the god himself, Bazyli seemed to rouse with interest. The marine felt his lips thinning as a chuckle floated through his head.

"Take pleasure in knowing then that their agony helped quicken the process of undoing this one. I assure you, there was no malice intended." Arden's lips even twitched a little, before the god would force them to smile. Then, he dismissed her, focusing on Ashanti's words to silently appraise the other with newfound interest. "Indeed. Desert..." And it's a rasp of simple pleasure, both upon hearing his domain and simple amusement for how he spoke of his host. "It has been a long time. I particularly look forward to when you gain strength--surely my domain has impacted the planets still far beyond Lord Creation's influence to provide for you." It was generosity that Arden had never heard from the cruel Famine, and he had a sinking feeling about the entire thing.

Both god and host listened as they were told of Winter, this Neva. Bazyli seemed considerably more intrigued than Arden, even going so far as to chuckle at the venomous dislike. The man only shook his head, only able to manage what the goddess had done to warrant such dislike.

"She's here? In this city?" He confirmed. Yet another to avoid, if possible...

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Viira nodded, sympathizing with his loss. Though, he comment about sailing the skies confused her and she tilted her head, "Skies?" Even those who dwelled on the land kept to the land. The skies were the realms of the spirits... and the oceans the Korinthians' domain.

Within, Ashanti quirked his lips in a bemused smile, an expression Viira recognized as that of a conspirator's. The god was so very abrasive... why was he taking a liking to Famine of all things? Famine killed, and cruelly too. She shook her head, her own expression sour - she felt like an onlooker in her own body... an accessory at best.

Being a creature of water, Viira, the ebb and flow of power on the land would be beyond you, mortal. Famine is an ally. He could not remember for a fact that Famine was indeed an ally, but he felt it was true... and firmly believed with time and resource, he could reclaim his memory along with his glory.

Again, Arden's question pulled her back to the present and Viira nodded, "Aye. Back that way, somewhere. In the better looking part of town - she's conscripted survivors and gotten them to rebuild things. Ashanti got me kicked out after he had another spat with her."

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

"A spacecraft." He corrected himself after a moment, nodding slowly. "The Valkyrie. An Anhur-class gunship, state of the art. Our duty is to defend the space from threats, primarily a race known as the Space Pirates." There was a pause, and he hesitated. "I'm not familiar with a Cityship." It was a tentative question at best, not wishing to pry.

The marine wasn't exactly surprised when the god seemed to be finished with speaking, satisfied on a level Arden had yet to experience before. It was true that many of his memories, too, were still lost, but he still remembered strongly who was powerful, and who wasn't. Ashanti fell in the former, he was certain--and did not seem to have mellowed, like Fire had.

So Winter had gathered enough strength to begin gathering both mortal influence... Bazyli made a wordless, thoughtful sound, undoubtedly storing away this information for later use. He would need to reacquaint himself eventually with the frosty goddess, but perhaps it would be better suited for when he had claimed this body as his own.

"She's... kind to them?" The man questioned despite his better judgment; even if she wasn't, was there anything he could do? Instinctively, he'd want to try, and there was a curt nod when she mentioned being kicked out due to the clashing gods. "There's a place near here..."

"The Pantheon." Bazyli interjected for Desert's benefit, clearly exasperated with his host.

"It might at least be somewhere safer to stay." Arden would finish slowly, trying to rein in his temper. "That's where I've come from."

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Viira pursed her lips at that, confused causing her brows to furrow, "I have never heard of such a vessel. But your duty echoes mine well enough." She smiled, "Cityships are the cities, as it were, of the Korinthian people. We are a proud race of sailors, self sufficient. I commanded a vessel of nearly three thousand souls. To those who are land-bound, I suppose you could say a Cityship is a floating country or city... though each vessel in autonomous. We reign over the Seas." There was pride in her voice, even if sadness shadowed the smile. "What did you vessel navigate, if not the seas?"

Enough. Speak no more of ships and oceans and irrelevant things. Famine tells of the Pantheon. Have you a guess at what the might be? Ashanti cut through her conversation, the need for information and control of the body shifting his personality more towards the cool embrace of his twilight mentality. It was soft spoken and seductive, the question a request more then a demand and it made Viira pause. The cool touch was soothing against a mind that bore the searing regard of Ashanti, causing her to sigh in relief but allowed the god to slide into control. "I see. I have not been returned long enough to establish a base of operations. One can feel the presence of the Throne but it is difficult to track in this current state, especially with the constant interference of a willful vessel. Point the way my Ally." While the voice that spoke was still clearly Ashanti's, it was smoother, somehow, and lacked as many rough edges.

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

A floating country or city... The man's auburn brows arched themselves at that, impressed, and he listened intently to her description. So... Like a spacecraft then, flourishing with its own sort life and armed with people to defend it. He'd never seen seas before, but didn't voice as much aloud, instead quietly reflecting on the knowledge. It was ironic, then, to find a woman of military status such as he. Though she had, so he assumed, been the commander of her vessel and he was little more than a grunt, they'd both lost their crews, as well as the ships themselves. Now they were here, saddled with the burden of playing sacrifice to a god.

When the god spoke again, Arden was surprised at the cool, smooth tone that was issued rather than the harsh rasp of before. If Bazyli knew anything about it, he said nothing... but the marine had an inkling that this was new to him, as well. Not knowing what else to do, he allowed Famine to speak.

"That is to be expected." The god said with dry sympathy, not choosing to divulge that it had been dumb luck that Arden had introduced to the Pantheon before he had even found his gem. "But a strong host will only help aid your rebirth, even if it makes the preliminary tasks more difficult."

If only for Viira's sake, and he would cast a glance at the woman, the marine would turn. He didn't want to go back to that place. And yet... he couldn't leave her here, either, trapped in this city with a goddess who already seemed to be vengeful towards her and Ashanti. "It's a few hours walk from here. ...Are you ready to leave now, or are there things you'd like to bring with you?" He asked, regardless of Bazyli's sigh at the hold up.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
When Ashanti's presence withdrew from the forefront of her mind, she almost sighed with regret - his touch, when in such a mood, was almost gentle, reminding her of the relief a cool cloth pressed against a fevered brow imparted. You know, I would be more inclined to work with you if you weren't such a b*****d all the time.

It should not matter what I am like, woman. I am Desert, a god, and should be treated as such regardless of your opinion - which, in your case, means obedience. Her quips seemed to inflame the god as easily as anything else, and he was quick to revert to a more temperamental state.

She sighed and shrugged, deciding against her urge to argue further with her little parasite. "Once I have my adopted son with me, I will be ready. Besides me, he is the only survivor from the Stormseed." Ashanti did not speak up, however, at the delay, having decided that the boy - at so ripe and malleable an age - would be a fine specimen to mold into something of use. Everything, after all, had a place. "Avalin!?" She called, wandering away from the marine, "Avalin!?"

It was several minutes before a boy appeared, covered in grim and grit and though he smiled, there was a sort of somberness to it that detracted from the otherwise infectious grin. "Yes, Cap'n?" His eyes settled on Viira then slid off towards Arden, to become glued to his armor. "Armor!"

Avalin's exclamation heralded his quick approach and he went so far as to poke one of the many plates Arden wore, "I've never seen armor like that before. If we wore armor, we'd rust and drown... are you some sort of Knight?"

Viira laughed as she approached, her mood picking up considerably with the boy's appearance, "This is Arden, of the Valkyrie. He's a crew member of a gunship, I believe he said."

"A Gunship? Like the schooners that chase Pirates and Outlaws?" He blinked, looking up at the taller man with surprised respect. Not even the Stormseed chased the Pirates! It was too big and had too many civilians to actively seek combat!

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

The soldier would give his nod of assent, though his expression shifting from mild surprise at hearing she had a son, then to a hollow sort of understanding. At least someone had survived. Especially one so young; though the event would likely shadow him for years to come, there was still time for him to survive and flourish--just like how this world was rebuilding itself. Avalin... He would watch with polite, if quiet interest as the boy came trotting over. The grime on him was hard to miss, but, despite himself, he felt his lips woodenly attempting to curl into a smile.

Whatever he'd expected when the boy lay eyes on him... well, it wasn't excitement. Arden didn't seem to mind as he was prodded some, though he knew with a faint grimace that the smooth, sleek suit was probably never going to be able to get a tune up. There was no end to this particular mission.

"If I had my helmet with me, I could breathe underwater with this suit." He said mildly, and after considering the question, he'd nod. "Somewhat..." Viira chiming in was helpful, and he'd hold out a hand to the boy. "Good to meet you, Avalin."

Eventually, if a little awkwardly, there would be a somewhat sheepish smile for the boy. He liked children--it'd just felt so long since he'd even gotten to see even a scrap of innocence here. Echo had been the closest to it. "Yes, we chase the Pirates..." He supposed it probably wasn't worth getting into what sort of pirates, and the fact that they did battle was probably millions of miles away from where they were from. "It's our job to keep everyone safe from them."

Bazyli was noting this exchange with idle interest, but seemed to lack anything scathing to add. It usually meant he was thinking, and that hardly reassured Arden.

Dapper Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Entrepreneur 150
Avalin pondered that a moment, "Really? I can hold my breath for a long time but I can't breathe underwater..." He dropped his gaze, trying to figure out how a helmet gave you gills. When Arden held out his hand, the boy offered that same somber-sincere smile and shook it with his own small hand.

"If you hunt pirates, you keep Captain Viira safe. She says I'm too young to do that... And," He stopped, dropping silent as he struggled to say the truth. "Commander Merkesh and the rest.... they're all dead." Viira's hand was upon his shoulder almost immediately, though she did not say anything. She would not deny the boy his grief. Spirits knew she was still grieving.

"He's going to show us to a place where we can rest. And not have to deal with Neva. I expect you'll want to come, Avalin." She seemed relieved to be away from the city, "And no more minions for Ashanti to play peacock around."

There was a flash of a grimace across her face as he reacted to that, and proceeded to berate her. They were, after all, his potential worshippers... they should be conditioned and familiar with the practices of worship.

Ghouliboo's Kouhai

Territorial Friend

So young. Arden suppressed a sigh at the boy's expression, but knew that only time, and possibly the presence of loved ones would really be able to heal those sort of wounds. There was a mild flicker of surprise over his face at the request, but staring at the boy's face as he sought to tell him about what had happened to the others...

It seemed almost cruel, knowing he might be dead soon, but Arden knelt before Avalin for a moment, better able to look him in the eye that way. "I promise. I won't let anything happen to her. ...And then, one day, you can be old enough to make sure she stays safe."

With that, the man got to his feet, and Bazyli made a dry sound of amusement in his head. Noble, but useless in the end. The man only grit his jaw, then cast his gaze to the woman.

"This way, Captain." And he set off at a slow, if steady enough pace, mindful that he wasn't too brisk. Bringing back another to the Pantheon... at least James had, thankfully, been gem-free.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff