Welcome to Gaia! ::

I swear, it's like 9 out of every 10 science fiction or fantasy novels I see is either book one in a series or it's another chapter in a long-running series where the first few aren't even in print anymore. Nobody can just write a decent SF or fantasy novel that stands on its own. I understand the appeal of series' and huge overarching universes, and I'm not entirely against them, but sometimes you just need to take a break, you know? And it's hard to do that when almost no one is writing novels that are capable of existing on their own, that can be enjoyed without depending on other books to fill in things they left out of the one you just read.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

PriestessAmy's Princess

Sparkly Bun

I'm not really annoyed by it, personally; I would rather read a series than a stand-alone most of the time. I do think the reason why it's so prevalent in science fiction and fantasy, though, is the challenge of fully presenting this other world in a single book: there's always something more to explore or dig deeper into. And I've found a number of series where each book can stand on its own; the only thing binding them together is a common setting or universe.

I have read some nice stand-alone science fiction novels, though.

O.G. Gaian

Marketing. There's a plethora of authors out there, within any given genre, and it's become harder than ever to keep an audience -- especially when that audience is waiting not until the next day or week for the next installment, but the next year -- or more. How do you keep the interest of the reading public (what little of it there is)? *shrug* Serialize. Sure, there's the "ooh, this author's novels are always good, I'll pick up the next one, too" factor, but you just can't count on that (especially if the only people who're going to call you a "good author" are those who could only name four or five in the first place). What you can always count on is successfully marketing cheap thrills. You can create the illusion of complexity and character development much more easily if you have three or four books and a decade to do it in.

In a relationship with davidmerwin

Shameless Bookworm

25,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
Sugar-Coated Accident
I'm not really annoyed by it, personally; I would rather read a series than a stand-alone most of the time. I do think the reason why it's so prevalent in science fiction and fantasy, though, is the challenge of fully presenting this other world in a single book: there's always something more to explore or dig deeper into. And I've found a number of series where each book can stand on its own; the only thing binding them together is a common setting or universe.

I have read some nice stand-alone science fiction novels, though.

i have to agree to all that's said above. i have also found some that are pretty good two book sets.

High-functioning Bibliophile

12,525 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • WilyTrickster 50
Since Science Fiction and Fantasy tend to have more in depth settings, and cover subjects that can not always be fully explained in one book, I can usually understand why they go the route of series rather than stand-alone.

However, it does upset me when I try to pick up an older Science Fiction or Fantasy series and find out that one or more of the books is out of print. Then to make it even worse, the missing books are usually missing from e-book catalogs as well.
I'm also not totally opposed to series, because as other posters have pointed out there are certain subjects which just can't be covered in one volume, but I do understand what you mean.

I generally like books to have self-contained stories whenever possible.

O.G. Gaian

LightningWings
However, it does upset me when I try to pick up an older Science Fiction or Fantasy series and find out that one or more of the books is out of print. Then to make it even worse, the missing books are usually missing from e-book catalogs as well.

That's when used book stores become especially awesome. 3nodding

High-functioning Bibliophile

12,525 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • WilyTrickster 50
faolan
LightningWings

I know right?
That is one of the reasons why I prefer used book stores over regular book stores- other than those awesome prices.

However, I do occasionally come across books that I can't find in my local used book store.

O.G. Gaian

LightningWings
faolan
LightningWings

I know right?
That is one of the reasons why I prefer used book stores over regular book stores- other than those awesome prices.

However, I do occasionally come across books that I can't find in my local used book store.

My best find was The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's back in print now, but at the time I hadn't even heard about it, and three bucks for a hardback seemed awfully damned reasonable -- the fact that I ended up loving the story was practically a fringe benefit!

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
I actually look forward to series (so long as there aren't any more than seven books in the series, any more than that and its just spam. the author needs to find a new horse to beat). With a series I know what I'm going to read next and don't have to worry about going week or month-long stretches with nothing to read.

4,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
this reminds me of the time I was in grade nine and I found this awesome sci-fi series and I finished school so i thought I would be able to find them either at the bookstore or library. NOPE. they had been out of print for TWENTY years. I would never know the ending sweatdrop

O.G. Gaian

Sarahcookie
this reminds me of the time I was in grade nine and I found this awesome sci-fi series and I finished school so i thought I would be able to find them either at the bookstore or library. NOPE. they had been out of print for TWENTY years. I would never know the ending sweatdrop

Again, used book stores.

What series is that?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas