Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Conversationalist

11,925 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Mark Twain 100
ThisisKye
Catcher in the Rye is THE worst book I have ever read.

I wanted to push Holden off a cliff.

Awh. I quite liked Catcher in the Rye. Though I completely understand why people hate, the reasons they list are usually the reasons why I love it.

It was weird and different and didn't really have a plot and Holden was annoying, but I really liked it for some reason.

Beloved Sex Symbol

ThisisKye

I completely agree! ARGH! Why it's considered one of the greatest pieces of literature ever will just baffle me until the end of time. Holden is such a douche.
The funny things is, a friend told me "Catcher in the Rye is the worst book I have ever read. I want to burn it." I read it and I can see why. I think the only reason this is a classic is because it pushed the boundaries of language by swearing so many damned ( wink ) times.

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

I hated A Wrinkle In Time.

There was also this one called Nightlife, it was so bad.

Anxious Cottontail

27,050 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I just can't stand (and I never could) most of so-called literature for teenage girls. After "The Princess Diaries" and "Girls Under Pressure" I was feeling sick at the thought of reading the rest of those series...
Another one, not actually that bad book, but "The True Confessions of Adrian Mole" after first two books was just painful. And to be honest, I never could really like "The Secret Garden". I prefered Mary as a nasty little brat at the beginning than as a goody-goody bland girlie at the end. AND I HATED COLIN AS HELL.
I don't remember hating any book because character was "sexist", any other "-ist" or "shaming" some social group. It doesn't really work on me enough to throw the book away razz
Can we count comics in this? Cause Frank Miller's Holy Terror was horrible.
Full Tilt. I don't remember who it was by but the book angered me so much and I try to repress my memory of it.

700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
One Day by David Nicholls is by far the worst book I've ever read. Page upon page of absolute rubbish.

Invisible Genius

New Romantic
ThisisKye

I completely agree! ARGH! Why it's considered one of the greatest pieces of literature ever will just baffle me until the end of time. Holden is such a douche.

SO MUCH THIS.

Also, I hated The Age of Innocence, The Bell Jar, and Fahrenheit 451. Save me from post-apocalyptic drivel about how we're all doooooooooomed. Have a little faith in humanity. sweatdrop
I didn't like the Scarlet Letter, I also didn't like Of Mice and Men - so sad! 3nodding talk2hand talk2hand

Shameless Loiterer

13,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Champion 300
I'll probably get hate for this but, Frank L. Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It's all in how he wrote the characters, they are all detestable morons. And Dorothy came off as being a sociopath. I couldn't finish reading all the stories.

Loved the movie though.

Otherwise, I'm a picky reader, but I can usually find something redeemable in any mess. Even Harry Potter, which is my runner up for worst book I've read, had one character that made reading that slop worthwhile.

If there was something worse then those two that I've read, then I've blocked it from my mind. Unless comics/manga count. I've read tons of shitty manga.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Cosette Rozenn de Bourbon
New Romantic
ThisisKye

SO MUCH THIS.

Also, I hated The Age of Innocence, The Bell Jar, and Fahrenheit 451. Save me from post-apocalyptic drivel about how we're all doooooooooomed. Have a little faith in humanity. sweatdrop

The Bell Jar yep. So much hatred.

Perfectionist

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image
I can't remember whether or not I replied to this thread, but I'll post anyway...

The Da Vinci Code was one of the biggest disappointments for me. It was hyped up to be a masterpiece, but it was, instead, extremely lackluster. The unique religious and historical concepts were present, but the way in which the story was executed was done poorly, and the character development left much to be desired. On top of those disappointments was the overly simplistic writing style. My heart broke when I realized how uninspired I felt chapter after chapter.

I go into more detail about my thoughts in my blog post on my site.
i'm sure i posted on here before on one of my old accounts but

i rarely finish books i'm not interested in or find bad but sometimes with YA they're easy to read through or sometimes my morbid curiosity gets the best of me

so mine are pretty obvious

the house of night series literally shocked me with how bad it is. i'm serious. how did Marked get published?

the hunger games trilogy is honestly garbage. i hate the characters. i hate the shitty world building. i hate the style it's written in.

fifty shades of grey is another obvious answer because it's honestly terrifying. gross and terrifying.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff