<< < 1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 >

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PyperSnow

Gonna have to disagree with you completely on your post..

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wagh’nagl fhtagn."

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Out of curiosity, are any 'accurate' fictional works depicting Wicca/Witchcraft/Paganism in a good light welcome to be discussed here, or is it only for non-fictional works discussing practice/beliefs/etc.

On topic: I've been reading several of Judika Illes books (of the Book of 5,000 spells fame) and while I find them to be enjoyable, it's almost a tease because she covers so much in one book, and each subject gets at most a page or two discussing it's origins. Although to be fair, she does admit in the beginning it is meant to be more of a stepping stone so you can go out and do your own research, however I'm finding that most of it is almost not even enough to whet your appetite. Has anyone else read any of her works and have an opinion?

I'm also working my way through Christopher Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft and find it to be quite enjoyable, although I wish I had more time to dedicate to the actual exercises.

It's been awhile since I've been able to discuss books of this type with anyone. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. heart

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
mystikdreamer
Out of curiosity, are any 'accurate' fictional works depicting Wicca/Witchcraft/Paganism in a good light welcome to be discussed here, or is it only for non-fictional works discussing practice/beliefs/etc.
There are some fictional books that are welcome here. Fictional books that have a large premise of the practices and beliefs inside them can be more than welcome here.

I was actually thinking about posting about the book The Way of Wyrd. That is an awesome fictional book. I couldn't actually put it down. I read it in one sitting. I need to write a review of that book for my blogs and for good reads soon. Have you read it?

mystikdreamer
On topic: I've been reading several of Judika Illes books (of the Book of 5,000 spells fame) and while I find them to be enjoyable, it's almost a tease because she covers so much in one book, and each subject gets at most a page or two discussing it's origins. Although to be fair, she does admit in the beginning it is meant to be more of a stepping stone so you can go out and do your own research, however I'm finding that most of it is almost not even enough to whet your appetite. Has anyone else read any of her works and have an opinion?
Actually I find her selection of spells from the various cultures she covers to be more than enough to have caught my interest in other areas of study. She in her books have posted several different Hoodoo spells and covered their practice and origins quite succinctly. At least enough to give you an idea of where to look. Its because of those spells and others I have found that were along those lines that I have started looking into other practices. I for example have started to look into Hoodoo specifically.

mystikdreamer
I'm also working my way through Christopher Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft and find it to be quite enjoyable, although I wish I had more time to dedicate to the actual exercises.
Do you have the CD companions that come with that book? They have two exercises in each track on the first two CD's. The others have like threes exercises on the CD but thats because as the program progresses each exercise needs to be given more intense attention and thus take up the time. I've found them an invaluable resource in working with the Inner Temple book and the system as a whole.

mystikdreamer
It's been awhile since I've been able to discuss books of this type with anyone. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. heart
Well welcome to the thread. This is the perfect place to discuss books, the exercises, layout, and everything that goes into making a good book on these topics good. This thread has been here a while. Sometimes people come and go and this place is empty for a while so I post a book or two I've read and go back to life.

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Loona Wynd

Yes I believe I've seen it around here before but never really stopped in. Shame on me!

Thank you for the welcome, and no I have not read The Way of Wyrd yet, but it looks VERY interesting, and I'll have to see if I can purchase it.

In reference to my Judika Illes comment, I was leaning more towards reviewing her other works, not specifically the book of 5,000 spells. I feel that is comphrehensive and if it doesn't have exactly what you need, at least it can point you in a good direction to get started on making your own. I was more referencing her Encyclopedias (The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Encyclopedia of Spirits to be particular.) As I said, they cover a massive amount of information so I can't really blame her for not writing a ton on each topic, otherwise the 'book' would quickly become a 'Encyclopedia set'.

Sadly, I do not have the CDs that came with the book. Most of my book purchases as of late have been on my kindle, which was bought so that I could downsize my library collection. After 4 bookshelves, my husband finally had enough hassle trying to find room for new books, lol. While I enjoy the kindle, particularly being able to read at night without running a light, you miss out on alot of the benefits of having a real book in your hands. And they never come with the extra 'goodies'.

Now I'm off to amazon to go find that book smile
The only book I've read on Wicca (or is it not Wicca?) was Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin

You put that book under Neo-Pagan Religious Witchcraft. What is the different between that and Wicca?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
mystikdreamer
Yes I believe I've seen it around here before but never really stopped in. Shame on me!
Don't worry. Threads come and go. I'm not surprised it gets missed.

mystikdreamer
Thank you for the welcome, and no I have not read The Way of Wyrd yet, but it looks VERY interesting, and I'll have to see if I can purchase it.
It tells the fictional story of a young monk in training as a scribe who is told he will journey through the wilds with a pagan guide to learn there ways. This story focuses on Anglo-saxon sorcery or witchcraft as the practice, but covers a lot of other cultural concepts as well.

mystikdreamer
In reference to my Judika Illes comment, I was leaning more towards reviewing her other works, not specifically the book of 5,000 spells. I feel that is comprehensive and if it doesn't have exactly what you need, at least it can point you in a good direction to get started on making your own. I was more referencing her Encyclopedias (The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Encyclopedia of Spirits to be particular.) As I said, they cover a massive amount of information so I can't really blame her for not writing a ton on each topic, otherwise the 'book' would quickly become a 'Encyclopedia set'.
I haven't read anything else aside from her Pure Magic book which is more about learning to cast spells and craft them than an encyclopedia of spells.

mystikdreamer
Sadly, I do not have the CDs that came with the book. Most of my book purchases as of late have been on my kindle, which was bought so that I could downsize my library collection. After 4 bookshelves, my husband finally had enough hassle trying to find room for new books, lol. While I enjoy the kindle, particularly being able to read at night without running a light, you miss out on alot of the benefits of having a real book in your hands. And they never come with the extra 'goodies'.
You can order the CD companions seperatly. They will guide you through the exercises and allow you to really experience everything that you can in the training.

mystikdreamer
Now I'm off to amazon to go find that book smile
Which on? The Way of Wyrd?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
emotionlessmoon
The only book I've read on Wicca (or is it not Wicca?) was Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin

You put that book under Neo-Pagan Religious Witchcraft. What is the different between that and Wicca?
Wicca here is a very specific religion that has very specific practices. The religion is an oath bound, mystery, fertility, duo theistic,lineage based initiatory, witch cult. There are some books out there on the subject but thats basically teaser material- what they prep students with prior to initiation.

Religious neo-pagan witchcraft that is eclectic is similar on the surface but has no specific deities, no initiation requirements, and is not a fertility based practice.
Loona Wynd
emotionlessmoon

Wicca here is a very specific religion that has very specific practices. The religion is an oath bound, mystery, fertility, duo theistic,lineage based initiatory, witch cult. There are some books out there on the subject but thats basically teaser material- what they prep students with prior to initiation.

Religious neo-pagan witchcraft that is eclectic is similar on the surface but has no specific deities, no initiation requirements, and is not a fertility based practice.

So Wicca as you've described it is very serious and not a wishy-washy type of faith where anything goes I guess.

I was raised Catholic and it's very structured as I'm guessing the lineage-based ones are too.

I'm going to look more into that. smile Thanks for answering my questions ^^

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
emotionlessmoon
Loona Wynd
emotionlessmoon

So Wicca as you've described it is very serious and not a wishy-washy type of faith where anything goes I guess.

I was raised Catholic and it's very structured as I'm guessing the lineage-based ones are too.

You're welcome.

This is the list of BTW books that you might be interested in

Witchcraft Today by Gerald B. Gardner
The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald B. Gardner
What Witches Do by Stewart Farrar
The witches Bibble by Stewart and Janet Farrar
Principles of Wicca by Vivienne Crowley
Lid Off the Cauldron by Patricia Crowther
High Priestess by Patricia Crowther
Witch Blood by Patricia Crowther
One Witches World by Patricia Crowther
Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millennium by Vivienne Crowley
Witchcraft for Tomorrow by Doreen Valiente
ABC of Witchcraft Past & Present by Doreen Valiente
The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed
Circle of Fire by Sorita d'Este and David Rankine
The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle by Deborah Lipp

I would start with Gardner and the Farrar books listed and then work your way through the rest.
Loona Wynd
emotionlessmoon
Loona Wynd
emotionlessmoon

You're welcome.

This is the list of BTW books that you might be interested in

Witchcraft Today by Gerald B. Gardner
The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald B. Gardner
What Witches Do by Stewart Farrar
The witches Bibble by Stewart and Janet Farrar
Principles of Wicca by Vivienne Crowley
Lid Off the Cauldron by Patricia Crowther
High Priestess by Patricia Crowther
Witch Blood by Patricia Crowther
One Witches World by Patricia Crowther
Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millennium by Vivienne Crowley
Witchcraft for Tomorrow by Doreen Valiente
ABC of Witchcraft Past & Present by Doreen Valiente
The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed
Circle of Fire by Sorita d'Este and David Rankine
The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle by Deborah Lipp

I would start with Gardner and the Farrar books listed and then work your way through the rest.

Thank you! If any of those books are available on Kindle I'll get them. I'm limited on money atm though.

Alex Clyde's Wife

Angelic Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Married 100
I read some of a pretty small Wiccan book a friend let me borrow. I've found some in Books a Million and skimmed through them, but I haven't bought any. I would like to because I find it very intriguing. I'd also like to read a book involving accurate Wicca in a fictional story. Any suggestions?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
RavynHawk91
I read some of a pretty small Wiccan book a friend let me borrow. I've found some in Books a Million and skimmed through them, but I haven't bought any. I would like to because I find it very intriguing. I'd also like to read a book involving accurate Wicca in a fictional story. Any suggestions?
Do you remember the books you skimmed?

as for Wicca fictionally Gardner wrote a book about it first in a fictional setting under the name Scire. That book is called High Magic's Aid

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
emotionlessmoon

Thank you! If any of those books are available on Kindle I'll get them. I'm limited on money atm though.
You may also want to look into interlibrary loans.

Alex Clyde's Wife

Angelic Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Married 100
Loona Wynd
RavynHawk91
Do you remember the books you skimmed?

as for Wicca fictionally Gardner wrote a book about it first in a fictional setting under the name Scire. That book is called High Magic's Aid

I do not remember any specific names. It's been a while since I've been to the book store. I just remember there was a small section that was all witch craft and Wiccan books and right next to it was the tarot cards and books on the supernatural. Thank you for the suggestion! : )
Loona Wynd
emotionlessmoon

You may also want to look into interlibrary loans.

Oh wow I forgot all about those! surprised I will do that once I find my library card emotion_yatta

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff