Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Phantom

daydreaming67
Ever sense Twilight and The Hunger games came out every book store I go to The HOLE YOUNG ADULT SECTION is filled with paranormal romance and dystopian society books. that's it. Im sorry to those who do but I don't like paranomal romance and theres one or two dystopian society books I like The Hunger games was ok but I don't like them THAT much. Im having real difficulty finding books I like. Is anyone else having the same problem?

If you mention some books you really enjoyed, people might be able to give you recommendations. :3

You could also ask the people at your book store.
daydreaming67
Ever sense Twilight and The Hunger games came out every book store I go to The HOLE YOUNG ADULT SECTION is filled with paranormal romance and dystopian society books. that's it. Im sorry to those who do but I don't like paranomal romance and theres one or two dystopian society books I like The Hunger games was ok but I don't like them THAT much. Im having real difficulty finding books I like. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Fourth-ing(not even a word haha) Rick Riordan's books.
'Specially recommend his "Percy Jackson Series", followed by a prequel "Heroes of Olympus." Or his other series "The Kane Chronicles" ~All of which are awesome reads!! They're mix of fantasy and greek/roman/Egyptian mythologies

If you like sci-fi + adventure then read Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl Series". If you've watched Black Butler and you love Ciel, wait til you meet Artemis XD Also a young criminal mastermind hehe

If Victorian Era is your style(this is more of an adult novel), then Lisa Kleypas's "Hathaway Series" might keep you on your toes. You never know. Sometimes its not just the plot but also the author's style of writing that you may like, right?

And if you really want an awesome read that isn't any of those(but might be sci-fi), you might wanna read "World War Z" by Max Brooks. If you've watched the movie than I guarantee you, its nothing like the movie(in a good way). Instead, the book focuses on individuals from different countries and how they react to the outbreak, in an interview fashion.

Aaaand I'm done. All the best in your hunt for good books!
Oh no, books cater to what people want, the horror.

There are still tons of great books and authors who aren't Twilight or whatever.

Eternal Shade

11,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Yea as of late anything that's Dystopian, Romance, and focuses on a straight couple who are at least 17 is pretty much the only thing that sell in book stores.

I'd recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (here's a reading order), the Escape From Furnace series by Alexander Gordon Smith, the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman, and anything Garth Nix has written because I've yet to find a book by him I didn't like.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
i would highly recommend the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. it is an incredible story. its more an adult fiction series, but its so awesome you wont notice.

also whoever said anything by Orson Scott Card. the Ender's Game series is good, also The Lost Gate is pretty good (though ive only the first book in this series.)

High-functioning Bibliophile

12,525 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • WilyTrickster 50
Not really.

Then again most of my books either come from used book stores that carry rare and out of print books, or are digitally downloaded. I have no idea what the inside of a regular chain-bookstore even looks like anymore.

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I used to be quite a fan of YA novels. There were a few pretty good ones, but they're almost all copy and paste series now. I can't help myself, so I may not even be able to help you. I could only recommend some older YA books.

Devoted Knight

3,600 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Contributor 150
Blue Eyed Wallflower
I used to be quite a fan of YA novels. There were a few pretty good ones, but they're almost all copy and paste series now. I can't help myself, so I may not even be able to help you. I could only recommend some older YA books.

Well whats old to you could very well be new to me! You don't have to recommend any books if you don't want to but im not necessarily looking for a brand new book if its new to me who knows it might be the best book ive ever read! And someone else might find a book they had never heard of. that goes for everybody. And im not trying to presser you into giving recomondations at all I just would like to put that out there.

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
daydreaming67
Blue Eyed Wallflower

Well whats old to you could very well be new to me! You don't have to recommend any books if you don't want to but im not necessarily looking for a brand new book if its new to me who knows it might be the best book ive ever read! And someone else might find a book they had never heard of. that goes for everybody. And im not trying to presser you into giving recomondations at all I just would like to put that out there.

Hey, if you're okay with older YA, I'll gladly recommend some to you! There are some great ones. I'll just put them in list format.

The Wanderer and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Holes by Louis Sachar

The View from Saturday and Silent to the Bone by E.L. Konigsburg

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Forever, Frecklejuice and Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

Milkweed, Stargirl, Loser and Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

Strudel Stories by Joanne Rocklin

Running Out of Time, anf The Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

anything by Roald Dahl

Quick Reply

Submit