Quite the opposite 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 1 ]
I haven't read the books 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I liked the movie 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 1 ]
Yup. Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 1 ]
Mostly. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 3 ]
This poll closed on December 22, 2011.
No longer accepting new votes.

In the author's note at the end of Brisingr, Christopher Paolini mentioned that the "lonely god" Arya writes of is a fun reference to Doctor Who.

Having just finished the last book in the series, Inheritance, I would like to open a discussion on other possible references to Doctor Who that I found, as well as possibly the show's influence on Paolini's writing, and even the similarities between moral quandaries contemplated by Eragon, and other characters of his, with ethics that agree with those of the Doctor.

Here are the main points that stuck out to me in Inheritance:

p. 389 "I have seen things that defy belief: whirlwinds of light spinning in caverns deep below the ground, men who age backward, stones that speak, and shadows that creep. Rooms that are bigger on the inside than the outside..."

Men who age backward could reference the Doctor's relationship with River Song, how each time they meet, one seems to age backward to the other. Stones that speak could reference the weeping angels. Shadows that creep remind me of the Vashta Nerada. And bigger on the inside = TARDIS.

p. 814 (Angela is knitting a hat) "'It's nice. The blue is pretty. But what do the runes say?' 'Raxacori - Oh, nevermind. It wouldn't mean anything to you anyway.'"

The blue is another TARDIS reference, and the writing immediately made me think "raxacoricofallapatorius"

Finally, the way Eragon defeats Galbatorix, by making him understand, making him see what has become of him, reminds me of how the Doctor defeats the Cybermen by blocking their emotional inhibitors.

I'd like to clearly state here my opinion. I feel that all references made by Paolini are just a bit of fun, intended as a respectful tip-of-the-hat, and an incorporation of a show he clearly enjoys. I know that many things throughout his life have influenced his opinions and morals, and therefore influenced his characters, and writing as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the scene where Eragon defeats Galbatorix, and feel that it was done really well. Shortly after the climax, the similarity to the Doctor Who episode occured to me. Now, some might ask: Did he copy the idea? In my mind, that is simply not the case. From the beginning, Galbatorix has been characterized by his madness, and his cruelty is explained by events in his past, and the fact that he does not believe that what he does is wrong. Then the concept of a person's true name was introduced. Eragon wonders if Galbatorix knows his own name, and then wonders if he could bear the weight of it, the unvarnished truth, or if he would care. Constantly the knowledge that Galbatorix's magical and physical might is unfathomable, is clear. As the plot progressed, it became increasingly obvious that unless some incredible weapon or trick was discovered, it would be impossible to defeat him. I feel that the solution Paolini arrived at was a natural one. I think the scene was beautifully done, and of course it was meaningful in a sort of "life's lessons" way, too.

So, does anyone agree or disagree with what I've found? Any alternate interpretations? Any additional references I didn't see?

I'd also like to open the discussion to some of the deeper themes and moral standpoints presented in both Doctor Who, and the Eragon series, that agree, and disagree.

It's an interesting take on those quotes.

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. You'd be delighted to know just who's a fan of the Doctor around the world - it's more likely than you think.

Walk this way.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Blk Apricorn

You'd be delighted to know just who's a fan of the Doctor around the world - it's more likely than you think.

: )

Are you thinking of someone specific? Do you know of other public figures that are fans or have made references, too?
Raeyna Ficst
Blk Apricorn

You'd be delighted to know just who's a fan of the Doctor around the world - it's more likely than you think.

Are you thinking of someone specific? Do you know of other public figures that are fans or have made references, too?

Steven Spielberg, for one.

Also, this.
Blk Apricorn
Raeyna Ficst
Blk Apricorn

Steven Spielberg, for one.

Also, this.

OMG RUGRATS?! That's so crazy! Before I ever knew of the series. ...I still haven't seen the older episodes. I started with the ninth Doctor. I really should take the time to see at least some of them, hopefully like them, and watch them all. : )
Raeyna Ficst
OMG RUGRATS?! That's so crazy! Before I ever knew of the series. ...I still haven't seen the older episodes. I started with the ninth Doctor. I really should take the time to see at least some of them, hopefully like them, and watch them all. : )

I started with 9 as well. It's the curse of the Time Lords our generation that the older episodes aren't as readily available, but I figure they're out there somewhere.
Another note is the significance of names, in Doctor Who and Eragon.

"The Doctor" is a name he took for himself, and it embodies his character and the choices he makes. His true name also holds power, not many know it, and it is not something shared or spoken lightly.

Alien Hunter

14,775 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

Ruthless Lunatic

10,250 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
It is surprising how many books and movies have Doctor Who signs. I have started to really focus on what I'm watching/reading... Doctor Who has left his mark for us xd
Very true smile

I generally really enjoy clever easter eggs.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Raeyna Ficst
Another note is the significance of names, in Doctor Who and Eragon.

"The Doctor" is a name he took for himself, and it embodies his character and the choices he makes. His true name also holds power, not many know it, and it is not something shared or spoken lightly.

The last post made before yours was in 2011.

That was three ******** years ago.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces