Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
Coming Out of the Closet with Tall, Dark and Handsome

Skullies? Anson tilted his head slightly, looking down at the cupcake before he remembered the shadow-like hand that had reached out of the cabinet a few minutes back. Perhaps that was the name of that helper... or helpers, as it seemed there were more than one of these things. It really wouldn't have felt particularly 'mysterious magician's shop' without some type of imp, goblin, or dancing broom doing all of the menial tasks, after all.

He took a moment after standing to fit his gauntlets back into position; sliding up his sleeves and tightening the straps before he pushed his chair back in neatly where it had been and followed the spider to his parlor.

"How about a sword that can only cut the guilty. Baptized in the blood of a saint."

"Guilty by whose judgment? And how would I cut the innocent with such a sword if the need arose?"

"Or a glasses that actually see lies as their forming in the air. I could give you a book, that when held up to someone has exactly what they're thinking written or illustrated on it's pages."

"Those both sound so useful that I would quickly find myself relying on them and be at a loss if I ever couldn't. Although I wouldn't mind trying out that book right now to see what sort of illustrations come out..."

"It comes with a pen that lets you copy down your favorites too."

"Come now, that can't be all that it does? No making drawings come to life or causing written words to become objects?"

"Maybe adventuring supplies? A napsack of endless rope? Always useful."

"Though much like the rope, you're likely not to have it when you actually need it..."

"A fate-touched set of keys that always lead to adventure? I dipped them in Lachesis' tears myself. Willingly given of course. Wonderful sense of humor that one."

"Not necessary, as I seem to have found enough interesting doors on my own already today."

"You've already crossed a borders today, why not set the record high so tomorrow has something to reach for?"

"But as you said, the first one is free and I do need a convenient excuse to come back and check to make sure there are no foxes in the attic."

For each offer that was made, the boy was ready with an excuse for why it was a poor fit. Perhaps it was the malicious glint of that salesman's smile or the discussion that they'd just had, but at the moment Anson was strongly feeling the wisdom behind the phrase don't take candy from strangers. Cake, yes. Jambalaya, yes. Mysterious and potentially double-edged magical artifacts, probably not.

The temperature actually got a few degrees cooler as they stepped through the small doorway from the kitchen into the upper level of the shop; because despite the snowstorm outside the kitchen the hot food had kept the interior slightly warmer than the dry and cool magician's shop. The clean, pristine, and refined decor of the kitchen also contrasted sharply with the 'old library' feeling of the shop, and walking through that pantry was like stepping through a wardrobe into Narnia.

"As I said when I first arrived, Sir Dark, I'm here seeking knowledge. I'm sure that you have some very interesting things for sale, but even the sharpest sword won't be of much help if I don't know what manner of hungry beast is eyeing these cages."

Maximos

Dapper Lunatic

In Which He Brent His Own Way

Max took a moment to think that over. Anson's wit was sharp, he had a kindly reason to refuse each offer. Max could have pushed a little harder or upped the proverbial ante but that ventured on the cusp of desperation. There was no need for all that. Thr lovely talk they had aside, he barely knew this young man. And while he clearly had an old, experienced soul, it wasn't one Maximos had a particular need or use for right now.

And so after a few seconds of careful consideration, leading Anson down the stairs, past the bedroom with the shut door from which the sound of gun fire and video bleeps and bloop echoed, and back out front from behind the counter - Maximos made a small sigh.

"Then there is no pleasing you. Your restless young heart must still wander. I wish you luck finding what your searching for." He lead Anson to the door and unlocked it. As he did, figure stepped from behind Maximos. It was like a black silhouette, vaguely humanoid wearing a mask made from what seemed to be the front of a skull and two white silk gloves. It didn't speak or make any sound at all, but reached around Max to hand him a small black cardboard box. The kind fancy diners give for take out. "Ah, thank you. ", said Max taking the box. The figure vanished back behind him. And Max in turn opened the front door back onto the Durem streets and held out the box to Anson. "Safe travels Mr. Brent, I have a suspicion I'll be seeing you again soon."

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

A parting gift? A souvenir? No, just leftovers. The specter delivered the box with the grace of a phantom, appearing and disappearing with the sole purpose of accomplishing that one task. As the young man took the box from his host, it seemed that the impromptu sales pitch had come to an end. No doubt there was something within these walls that would tickle the young man's fancy, but for a pure boy like that who had no aspirations of cosmic power or lust for material objects it was a hard thing to make him name the object that would tempt him to the dark embrace of capitalism.

"Safe travels Mr. Brent, I have a suspicion I'll be seeing you again soon."

"Once again, I must thank you for your hospitality Sir Dark," said the hero with a polite smile and a respectful bow to the gentleman. "As long as I don't run afoul of any lions, tigers, or bears I expect that I will be paying you another visit in the future. Maybe as a customer, maybe for a consultation... either way, I believe I owe you a dinner and I would very much prefer to have a conversation when I don't have reason to suspect your involvement in a recent mass-murder."

The hero reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out... a top hat? Or so it appeared, as the young man raised it up to lightly set it upon his head, then immediately remove it in a dramatically overplayed gesture where he swept it across his waist with a bow. Then, one shake of the hat later and it fell apart into a loose black cloth that the young man then tied around his face; the same bandanna that he had earlier folded up and placed into his pocket. Max would immediately recognize it as an illusion rather than a transformation, though one that relied upon enchanting the senses of the observer rather than the image of the object.

"Until next time, Sir Dark. I'm off to hunt some foxes."

Maximos
exp. 99

Her dark brows rose at this. That was interesting. She looked up at him- as she had to when he stood up because she was barely five-foot-four. There was a thoughtful look in her gaze for a while before she nodded a bit.

"Makes sense, I suppose." She brushed her black hair behind her ear, " I thought it was to some god- and you know, you never piss off gods if you can help it. Either way, I suppose, you smell interesting too- but I guess that's a given considering everything."

Then, putting her hands in her pockets, she leaned back on her heels, she asked, " So, is it only you here? Are there no others of your clan?"
Queen Belisama

Shrine of the Red Seer

Iden blinked, then chuckled softly. It was a weak laugh, but there was at least some genuine mirth to it to mask the cutting manner in which the question had hit him. His fingers tensed, probing the crack and reliving the source of the flaw in the stone for a second as the words tried to manifest on the tip of his tongue. He stood with his mouth open, his jaw working up soundless syllables for a few seconds before he engaged his vocal chords and actually answered.

Man. You always so good at cutting to the chase? he said, and sighed as the tension rolled back off him like water.

I'm the last still in Durem. The rest have...moved on. To places and worlds and times I don't even know. Little Iden is far too faithful a dog to his mother to let this place alone, though. And her...

Iden twisted on his feet with a soft crunch of stone and rubber, and planted his elbows on the headstone. His gaze now fell upon the basin as he tried to put his thoughts to words.

...I can't think of her as such, but some would say she is a god. Iunno. What even is a god, anyway? She's at rest now, at least in this world while she walks others. Enough of her is left for me to take care of, but...

He sighed deeply.

I suppose unless my childe comes back again I am the last. Still!

The dead man pushed away from the stone and planted his hands against his hips. His back arched, stretching the muscles and eliciting a grunt as they popped silently. The very human gesture led to another as he made a show of tucking his head under his arm, sniffing softly. While dead flesh produced little odor in his case, he still rolled his eyes back to Beli, one eyebrow hiked high.

Anyways, whatchoo mean I smell? I just showered, man. If anything I should be fragrant with spice and body wash.
exp. 99

Shrine of the Red Seer

Beli smirked, just a bit at his reaction to her questions. She summoned her notebook and made a note of his words. It interested her for some reason. Still, she rolled her shoulders a bit, considering him and her reply.

"Well, I don't like playing word games much." Her black tail idly tapped the ground, " I spent centuries doing that. It's rather boring after a while. Why dance around what you want when you can get to the heart of the matter?"

She eyed the headstone but asked nothing of it. "Truth, beings that call themselves gods are only gods to those weaker than they. To those they considered their creations because they happened to get the mixture or ratio of things just right to make them. Some are egoistical and some are merely curious as well as careless." She waved her hand, " All have their quirks. I just simply prefer to travel without a god throwing a hissy fit because I didn't say 'hello' properly."

Gestures to the basin, " Knowing she's not, is helpful."

Her brows rose more, " You turned another and they are not here? Have all deserted you?" It was probably rude on her part but she had said before she didn't like to dance around too much with her words. " That's a pity, in and of itself."

Her lips twitched at his indignant reply to the last bit, "Heh, I don't mean you smell awful, kiddo, just that you don't smell quite like a vampire but like a vampire. Not a necromancer either so it's a fun toss up sort of game right now."
Queen Belisama

Centuries? Perhaps he should have expected as much; Durem did attract all manner of creature to its streets. He wasn't wholly sure what this Beli woman was, but she was a rather peculiar one, with her notebook.

I guess I'll let you savor the mystery then. I'd hate to spoil the surprise.

The dead man adopted a casual, amiable smirk. No insult had been taken, it seemed, as his demeanor shifted away from solemn reflection to something a bit more jovial. What to make of it all...the notion of gods and their nature was a topic with some heavy stuff to it, and he was given over to taking a moment to consider.

I don't reckon you would have much to fear, so long as you bring no threat to her children.

He commented, and lifted his free hand in a half shrug. Then a thought visibly crossed his face, as something struck him.

You...partook in the communion, though...didn't you?

It wasn't a difficult guess, given her own statement on gods and travels. But it did bring a mischievous twinkle to his eyes.

I reckon then you'll be back to visit. So I guess I'm not wholly abandoned, eh?
exp. 99

There was a remark she could've said to the effect of 'what children?' but kept it to herself. No need to insult them. She tilted her head curiously but shrugged when he mentioned the communion and all.

"Only out of curiosity." She puts her hand behind her head for the moment and had a slight smile, "Curious spell on it, is all. I wanted to see what would happen."

Her head tilted back a little, "Perhaps. I'm intrigued enough to do so." Perking up she grinned, " Unless you have food? I'd definitely come back if you have food about I could have?"

What could she say? She was hungry and if he had any, she'd definitely come back.

Premium Capitalist

arrow Durem - East side - Arena - Demon Dancing

"WATCH YOUR FLANKS, SHE'S ON THE MOVE, CALL OUT-"

It was intimate.

A hateful closeness as deft oxfords slid across the glass and asphalt, solidifying liquid shadow rising between the beats of their hellish hearts. As was the side of the fell hound's head reflected in his mirrored shades, so too his dark countenance in the glint of her wicked eye. A gentle ringing clatter as teeth like obsidian daggers chased the rising cylinder of plastic and steel only to find purchase on lead and brass. The belt, both precious munitions and dangerous tether, was gripped in a moment of absolute control, jaws fully capable of shredding the ammo adjusting pressure to accomplish their prior goal. With but a simple tug she could take it, and leave the man in black off balance for her next strike.

Their claws lazily clicked a staccato chorus as each bladed assassin wandered past them

It was almost playful, how those nostrils stole the scent of him, a memory, however distant, for later.

There was a horrid malice in that growl. A promise of a beautiful and terrible reunion.

And their future was decided, in that moment. Star crossed foes, with a destiny written in blood and entrails.

Even a lightning fast motion still seemed to slog through pudding in that desperate moment. His arm was lead to the shoulder as he fought inertia, the charging bolt uncomfortably far from his hand.

As she pulled away, the first round slipped free from the MMG's feed port. The reel fed out as she continued to rotate away, a dire line spooling away into the briefcase on his hip. The man in black left the pavement, following the shadow beast into the air, his own weight feeling titanic against the flow of time. Leather sole met the craggy armor of her flank as she continued to peel away, and he kicked off.

It was artful, poetic even, the way they gracefully parted in opposing arcs, her entire body rotating in the air in an attempt to control her inertia and keep her spacing, as he twisted and rolled headfirst away, folding over the rifle, keeping it close, before flinging his feet out to throw his body as far as possible from the beast.

It wasn't clear how long the belt of ammunition was, but it offered little resistance as it spooled out over the expanding distance between them, retaining it's tension as though on a spring driven reel. He aimed to touch down as far as humanly possible from his dance partner.

The man in black finally felt the heart beat in his chest as his free hand darted to his hip. He needed a lot of things right now. His blasted ammo from this beast. This fight to be damn over and now. An iced latte with three shots of espresso and a pump of hazelnut cream. He had a solution to two of those problems in his bag of tricks, he hoped, and it was definitely dairy free.

"Aye I'm indeed decked head tae foot like a bucket of pitch but me mother dinnae name me fer the color a' me nappies ye ******** weapon." Whether the drastic whiplash between measured professional dialogue and guttural Scottish sass was some kind of confusion tactic remained a mystery to all but the man in black himself.

Darkest Silver

Nihilistic_Impact

Psychofish

Just a Kroww
Queen Belisama

Spell? Heh...not sure that's what I would call it, but fair enough.

How would he describe it? That was a good enough question in and of itself. Kindred vitae, spiked with the heady wine of near divine ascension was quite the mix. A more malign power may well have been able to do terrible things to those bold enough to partake. But the Red Seer was anything but to her children, the people who came to her altar. The communion brought vigor, healed sickness and soothed the weary...but also came with a mildly addictive twist in that one drink brought the niggling sensation of want for more, in time.

Of course, he wasn't going to tell her that. Let the strange woman find her own truth in the matter. Iden simply shrugged, and rubbed at his chin for a few seconds.

What are you, a cat? Well...hmm. Not sure I could do you much more than a sandwich, to be honest. The kitchen staff are all helping with the relief efforts in town, and, well...I'm not much a cook, to be honest.
exp. 99

"Something like that." She replied amused, "So what if you're not a decent cook, as long as there's a stocked fridge, I can get something to work."

Shifted from one foot to the other humming softly, " I just want something a little more filling. anyway, what was going on in town? Lot of confusion the last time I saw it."
Queen Belisama

Iden's face darkened immediately. The boyish facade shattered as his features soured, and it seemed to harden his features into something more gaunt and unwholesome. He still looked like himself, but...a bit of the beast was peeking through the man with the question.

Someone, some thing dabbled in conjuring demons, and slaughtered a district to fuel it. The entire red light district is a charnel pit now.

He spat the words out, like they were poison on his lips. Any peace of mind returning to his mother's shrine had granted was banished, and his fists were clenched enough one might fear he would bleed his own palms.

Confusion doesn't quite cut it. What you missed was wholesale slaughter, and the perpetrator is still at large, for now.
exp. 99

Slight whistle, " I saw some of that." Beli's brows rose a little as she stuck her hands in her jacket. "Sound's nuts though. Also sounds like it must've been lower demons- and by that I mean ones that don't do much but bark and snap. They generally don't talk and all, is what I'm saying. "

Rocked on her heels, "Don't worry, I'm sure ya'll find the person that conjured them. May've it been a test, too."
Durem had went from an active city of car horns, pedestrian bustle, and general city ambience to cries, smoke, and decimation within the span of a day. Monsters had ravaged the city, leaving many in peril. Authorities and vigilantes were spread thin, scattered to help as much as possible. There were not too many hands about to do everything at once, leaving some with lack of aid and others worse for wear. An unfortunate number...dead.

She quickly stepped through the hallway of the temple. Members about Seyumi rushed to prepare themselves as the operation to provide aid and care to Durem was being initiated. The woman was dressed currently in what was medical field wear. White dress with white long boots, and a white cap upon her head. Her staff was ever present in her right hand, eyes forward with determination to do what she must to save this city. A paladin stopped briefly before her, receiving orders, gave a salute, and was off to perform her bidding. White mages were addressed, being told where their stations were going to be, what needed to be done, and giving general advice on how to confront the agony of a fallen city. Her words were warm and wise, the very charisma that had drew many to her faith to begin with.

As she stepped out of the front doors, several trucks were lined up, being filled with paladins, white mages, and some general volunteers, ready to deliver water, food, and first aid to all those that needed it. For today, the Temple of Falis does its first big deed for the city. The engines running, the trucks took their mark, and sped off in various directions, spreading out into the city that needed their assistance. Seyumi sitting in the front seat of one of them, she was off toward the area she felt needed her the most: the residential area. She could only imagine the families torn apart. Figuratively. She dared not think of the literal parts. Even if it humored her within.

User Image

Vahn Fah's Wife

Eloquent Inquisitor

arrow || The World of Auln'th || The Royal City; Private Quarters

The glow of a sinking sun filtered through the windows of the small chamber. Outside the hustle and bustle of businesses closing for the day, the city folk returning home from a long day's work, or heading out to the pubs as was their usual routine; but tonight was special. Tonight mead and ale would flow with merriment well into the morning, as courses upon courses of meat and fruit would be served at every establishment to mark the start of the holy week. Everyone celebrated regardless of class. And right now the royal cooks would be hard at work preparing for the Feast of Llewellyn; the palace would be a flurry of activity as they scurried about their final preparations. Nobility from the whole continent over would be in attendance, everything had to be just so. With the influx of visitors and important guests, the king had seen fit to double the city guard... the palace guards would be even more vigilant and their numbers bolstered.

Crimson lips pursed with displeasure, her hand absently raising to a locket about her throat, her thumb running over it's surface. The beautiful engraving that was once there, all but worn away from years of the same repeated gesture. The delicate silver chain it had been gifted to her on, had long since broken. It hung now from a leather throng. After all the years and the many worlds she had crossed, only two things of value remained of the items she had begun her journey with. This worn piece of silver, and her swords.

'How long has it been?'

She closed her eyes and took a deep, steadying breath. When she opened them again, red orbs nestled in black depths settled on a gilded invitation on the table, and a lavish gown draped across a chair.

He will be expecting you...

Her hands clenched as she smirked, "He's not going to like my choice of dance."

You've decided.

It wasn't a question, so much as a statement. To which she grinned;

"I have indeed."

'Whatever it takes.'

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers