to make them selves more aerodynamic less hair = less drag

Shadowy Striker

9,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Wulf Erikson

cool, ive always thought of it as more of a symbol to show they're airbenders or something

Ruthless Tactician

Azure Shinobi
Wulf Erikson

cool, ive always thought of it as more of a symbol to show they're airbenders or something

i wasn't serious man in truth i have no idea why they shave their heads i just posted something that made sense
to display their tattoos

but you can also read up on the act itself from real life examples and draw your own conclusions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsure

Shadowy Striker

9,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
Wulf Erikson
Azure Shinobi
Wulf Erikson

i wasn't serious man in truth i have no idea why they shave their heads i just posted something that made sense

y u do dis to me ;__;

Shadowy Striker

9,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
Gaya Tan
to display their tattoos

yeah but don't airbending masters get tattoos, in that case why were other young boys [from Aang's flashback] bald and yet they had no tattoo and weren't masters? I'd think they'd wait till when they do become airbending masters to shave that'd make the most sense imo. I honestly don't see why they'd shave before that.

I think it's mostly for the sake of identifying themselves as airbenders kinda like how forehead protectors in naruto symbolize that you're a ninja from a certain village (hope you know what i mean)
Azure Shinobi
Gaya Tan
to display their tattoos

yeah but don't airbending masters get tattoos, in that case why were other young boys [from Aang's flashback] bald and yet they had no tattoo and weren't masters? I'd think they'd wait till when they do become airbending masters to shave that'd make the most sense imo. I honestly don't see why they'd shave before that.

Cultural thing.

Did you at least skim through the link? Shaving the head shows commitment to spiritual life and to discourage vanity. It's symbolic.

Like their real world counterparts, Air Nomads are connected to gnosticism.

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
Azure Shinobi

Tenzin the son of Avatar Aang says it is so that they could feel the wind around them better so Wulf seemed to pull the reason from his a** pretty much without meaning to do so. Tenzin also says that it isn't mandatory for Air Nomads to do so and that it is purely optional, but only after Daw the first new Airbender discovered other than Tenzin's brother Bumi.
I always thought that it was because they were supposed to represent monks.
Like some take a vow of silence and so on.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

6,650 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
I dont really think the truth will ever be known.. though it might but I just THOUGHT that it was because it might be a tradition to be bald and just represent their ancestors or something.. heh I dunno

Fashionable Friend

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
Shimmering-Sweetz
I dont really think the truth will ever be known.. though it might but I just THOUGHT that it was because it might be a tradition to be bald and just represent their ancestors or something.. heh I dunno

yeah i kinnda agree with you

Shadowy Striker

9,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
Kor Saiyajinkami
Azure Shinobi

Tenzin the son of Avatar Aang says it is so that they could feel the wind around them better so Wulf seemed to pull the reason from his a** pretty much without meaning to do so. Tenzin also says that it isn't mandatory for Air Nomads to do so and that it is purely optional, but only after Daw the first new Airbender discovered other than Tenzin's brother Bumi.
thanks man. Needed this info for a oc

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
Azure Shinobi
Kor Saiyajinkami
Azure Shinobi

thanks man. Needed this info for a oc

Next time try Avatar Wiki (the wiki for both series). If the info isn't somewhere there then it probably doesn't exist.

Invisible Humorist

Vin Diesel said it was awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas